Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Sidney

Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2014, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 18, 2014, 02:17:16 PM
I haven't heard the possible effects of the huge turnout discussed. An amazing 90% is being predicted. I would have thought that would strongly favour Yes. Do we know if this is factored into the poll predictions?
Anything over 80% would be extraordinary.

But not sure it helps the Yes.
All the bookies are still broadly in agreement. No 1/5, Yes 7/2.
Why wouldn't it help Yes? Turnout is usually lower in lower socio-economic areas. People in these areas are surely more likely to vote Yes if they do vote. If the turnout in these areas is high, and it looks like it is, it has to help the Yes vote.

AZOffaly

If there was a vote in Northern Ireland only, where the proposal was to unite with the Republic of Ireland, would a high turnout be seen as good for the Yes campaign?

Hardy

Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2014, 02:35:35 PM
Quote from: Hound on September 18, 2014, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 18, 2014, 02:17:16 PM
I haven't heard the possible effects of the huge turnout discussed. An amazing 90% is being predicted. I would have thought that would strongly favour Yes. Do we know if this is factored into the poll predictions?
Anything over 80% would be extraordinary.

But not sure it helps the Yes.
All the bookies are still broadly in agreement. No 1/5, Yes 7/2.
Why wouldn't it help Yes? Turnout is usually lower in lower socio-economic areas. People in these areas are surely more likely to vote Yes if they do vote. If the turnout in these areas is high, and it looks like it is, it has to help the Yes vote.

That's it - why I assumed a high turnout favours Yes.

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 18, 2014, 02:37:48 PM
If there was a vote in Northern Ireland only, where the proposal was to unite with the Republic of Ireland, would a high turnout be seen as good for the Yes campaign?

No. I'd think it would mean the opposite in that case, as there are probably more people who don't habitually use their franchise who would be on the No side in that one. That's my speculation anyway.

Hardy

The Yes price is drifting slightly on Betfair since this morning 5.7 out to 5.9.

The bookies'/exchange prices, however, don't represent any prescience on the part of bookies, as in "the bookies are seldom wrong". It's a market. It reflects the opinions of the participants in the market, i.e. the weight of money on each side. In the case of an election/referendum, I'd guess that's influenced most by the published opinion polls, just as our speculation here is.

armaghniac

Quote from: TF15 on September 18, 2014, 02:35:05 PM
It'll disappoint me when the Scots bottle it and a 'No Vote' wins. Media stoking it up closer than it is as it makes good TV.

I think it is like the Mayo - Kerry game, the referee wasn't fair and there should be replay until the right result to obtained.

QuoteQuote from: AZOffaly on Today at 02:37:48 PM

No. I'd think it would mean the opposite in that case, as there are probably more people who don't habitually use their franchise who would be on the No side in that one. That's my speculation anyway.

leave Milltown out of it, Scotland is different.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Aren't bookies already paying out on a No vote?

armaghniac

Still trading on Betfair if you want a punt, no is still 1.18.
The markets there suggest a Turnout prediction in the mid 80s.

ardtole

I stuck €20 on boylesports for a yes vote at 4/1. Hopefully cover the beer on Sunday.

ONeill

Changed my mind. Instead of 55% no I think closer to 60
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AQMP

Quote from: ONeill on September 18, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
Changed my mind. Instead of 55% no I think closer to 60

Ah'll no baither votin' then Wullie

seafoid

I think Yes might sneak it. All depends on turnout.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: Hardy on September 18, 2014, 02:49:52 PM
The Yes price is drifting slightly on Betfair since this morning 5.7 out to 5.9.

The bookies'/exchange prices, however, don't represent any prescience on the part of bookies, as in "the bookies are seldom wrong". It's a market. It reflects the opinions of the participants in the market, i.e. the weight of money on each side. In the case of an election/referendum, I'd guess that's influenced most by the published opinion polls, just as our speculation here is.

Still drifting - 6.2

AQMP

No camp (and O'Neill) predicting 58 - 42 "win"

LondonCamanachd

F*ck's sake, democracy is horrible - this is like trying to follow a Cup Final penalty shootout on a radio with a dodgy signal.

I have no idea what will happen, I'm swinging from hope and elation to despair and fear, as I see the various posts on Twitter and Facebook from folk who have voted.

It comes down to this, which side of the Scots psyche is stronger: "ach, f*ck it, let's dae this" or "we'll pay for this" ?

armaghniac

QuoteNo camp (and O'Neill) predicting 58 - 42 "win"

The odds haven't swung much, so the "wisdom of crowds" does not suggest such a large margin. 
There are no tallymen, apparently, so hard to get a feel for things after 10pm.