Scottish independence referendum thread

Started by deiseach, September 07, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If you have/had a vote, how will/would you vote?

Yes
122 (87.8%)
No
17 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Voting closed: September 18, 2014, 11:36:16 AM

andoireabu

If it doesn't pass how long do they have to wait until they try again? If it's as close as the polls suggest I can't see the 'yes' side giving up and going away.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

macdanger2

Heard on radio 1 earlier that there won't be a recount on this regardless of how close it is - seems strange. That wouldn't preclude a legal challenge requesting a recount though

Ulick

I'll swing with Tommy Sheridan and predict independence for Scotland on 53%. 

Hardy

There are apparently more than 10% undecided. I think the waverers will swing to Yes. I think tonight's TV was overwhelmingly persuasive towards Yes. And the polls are not counting the newly registered, who will be massively Yes.

Narrow Yes is my prediction.

Shamrock Shore

If the referendum fails here's the GPO in Edinburgh if anyone's interested.

Sidney

Whatever happens tomorrow, I can safely say that the No campaign has been the most pathetic, negative and downright incompetent political campaign I've ever seen, and that includes the Yes campaign in Lisbon I here and recent Republican campaigns in the US.

It would be fooking amazing to see them suffer the humiliating defeat they so richly deserve.

Bud Wiser

http://youtu.be/DD9Qs6bXlmU

Hope over Fear. I think this is brilliant and its causing a bit of a stir on FB etc.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

ziggy90

Quote from: Sidney on September 18, 2014, 12:38:14 AM
Whatever happens tomorrow, I can safely say that the No campaign has been the most pathetic, negative and downright incompetent political campaign I've ever seen, and that includes the Yes campaign in Lisbon I here and recent Republican campaigns in the US.

It would be fooking amazing to see them suffer the humiliating defeat they so richly deserve.

Makes you wonder why?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Eamonnca1

Some people are saying if Yes prevails, next on the agenda will be a united Ireland. I couldn't see it myself, too much of a mess to clean up in the north first and that job has barely begun. My money would be on Wales going next.

Milltown Row2

It will be a no. When it comes to the crunch in the booth they will chicken out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theskull1

The well paid higher tax bracket group will be critical. How many will vote ethically and how many will vote selfishly. A more fairer society relies on someone taking the hit.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

cicfada

Will be a no vote in the end all right, the scare tactics will make most of the undecideds stay with the "safe" option. A pity but when there's been nothing but a constant stream of threats and warnings from financial institutions, establishment politicians and 95% of the media in the last 2 weeks then what other outcome could be expected? I presume that there won't be another referendum on this matter in our lifetime anyway ? ( 50 years)??

HiMucker

That's what I thought the last few weeks.  But I dunno now!  The yes campaign have wiped the floor with the no in any debate, discussion, or light hearted panel show I have watched.  The audiences always seem more yes leaning.  I think I read that there will be 300k voters under 18 who the polls have largely ignored who will not chicken out and will vote resoundingly yes.  Watching the "the great British breakup" last night swayed me enough to put a wager on yes winning.   It's going to be very tight but I think the scots realise they are on the cusp of something great.  Will they take their chance?  I think they will.

bennydorano

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 17, 2014, 11:45:18 PM
Heard on radio 1 earlier that there won't be a recount on this regardless of how close it is - seems strange. That wouldn't preclude a legal challenge requesting a recount though
Think I read somewhere each counting sector (which are Council areas - of which there are 32) has a right to one recount.

Agree with the patheticness of the No campaign, shambolic. Yes could sneak it, but it is more likely the undecideds are Nos because it's not as 'cool' & the genuine fear of intimidation.