Car Servicing/Maintaince

Started by GJL, August 29, 2012, 05:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general

The car was at Hurst for 2 weeks, maybe more. Got it back on Saturday, drove home, all good. Got into it 30 mins later and it refused to start and electrics going mental again. Alarm going off, engine immobilized. They replaced door handle, door latch and wiring however they couldn't do that right, they left the lock on the driver door missing the black covering so its not been put back together properly. I think the problem is that they cant find the fault and don't know how. They don't have a mini dealership and refuse to send it to someone like Bavarian to get the issue highlighted.

Called Hurst Monday morning at 8 am, got my first kind of apology about a month too late. Second official complaint sent down on Tuesday morning with the car - didn't get a reply to the first, although they began to work on the car when they received the first so i took that as an acceptance of the letter.

Nothing but a hassle, I use my car to get into work locally and the girlfriend needs hers to commute. I'm without a car until the other is fixed. No offer of a courtesy car. I have stated my rights with the sale of goods act etc. They have accepted that it will be fixed at their cost. they just seem to be taking their time on purpose.

The car wont be leaving again until its fully fixed, I've also mentioned I would be contacting Nolan so they seem to have a rocket up their arse about it now. I've taken advice from Consumer Line, and trading standards, so if the issue is not fixed then I will be requesting a) replacement of the car or b) full/partial refund

GJL

Not so nice but at least now they realise they won't walk over you. Hope it works out soon.

TabClear

Fair play GJL, one of the most useful threads on the board!

pullhard

1.4 Tdi Skoda Fabia, 2010, glow plug light has started to flash. Any ideas if this will be an expensive one to repair?

offtheground

Believe it or not - this can be a warning that your brake lights aren't working right!!  :o
Check your brake lights are working, for me it meant changing the switch down at the brake pedal - bought it off ebay for ~£20 and replaced it myself. ( this was on a VW golf but prob the same for skoda)

'How to' posted here;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1158315-DIY-Installing-a-new-brake-light-switch-(without-breaking-it!)

pullhard

Quote from: offtheground on September 24, 2014, 05:03:24 PM
Believe it or not - this can be a warning that your brake lights aren't working right!!  :o
Check your brake lights are working, for me it meant changing the switch down at the brake pedal - bought it off ebay for ~£20 and replaced it myself. ( this was on a VW golf but prob the same for skoda)

'How to' posted here;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1158315-DIY-Installing-a-new-brake-light-switch-(without-breaking-it!)

Just checked the brake lights. only the light in the back window is work, other two are not! Genius man!
Is it worth changing the bulbs first before attempting the brake light switch?

Also is there a fine / points if caught ?

Update bulbs are fine, looks like it could be the switch or glow plugs! Grrrr >:(

GJL

Quote from: pullhard on September 24, 2014, 05:59:05 PM
Quote from: offtheground on September 24, 2014, 05:03:24 PM

'How to' posted here;

Just checked the brake lights. only the light in the back window is work, other two are not! Genius man!
Is it worth changing the bulbs first before attempting the brake light switch?

Also is there a fine / points if caught ?

Update bulbs are fine, looks like it could be the switch or glow plugs! Grrrr >:(

Get it plugged in to see what trouble codes come up. I've seen this flash on similar year golfs which turned out to be EGR Valve faulty. If you are near Ballygawley I'll plug in in for free.

thebar

Need some help...I have a Toyota Rav 4 95 model, wee 2 litre petrol. Anyhow shes served me well until lately the key once in the ignition was sticking and getting harder and harder to start due to the ignition barrel getting sticky. Tried WD40 in the ignition to no avail so went out and got a 2nd hand ignition barrel with key from the scapyard. Changed the ignition barrels over but now she wont start...what do i need to do? Must be due to the imbolizer and the old key being chipped whats my best way round it? Can you change the new barrel to suit the old key? Cut a new key and reprogramme it? Is this possible? Any help appreciated!!

Agent Orange

Not 100% sure that a 95 car would have a chipped key, but I could be wrong. You need to put the head of the old key on to the blade of the new key, should be a DIY job.

tyrone girl

Guys help needed again. Christ my heads about to go with that car of mine!! Anyway after getting all done last month thinking this is great it was driving like a new car suddenly this noise has appeared. Now it only appeared when the car was started and lasted for about half a minute. Was like a grinding rattling from drivers side of the engine. Then it stopped. There was no issue whatsoever with the driving of the car it was driving fine and no noise yet every time i started it the noise would be there. I have slightly noticed that the steering is more rigid but nothing major to be honest.

Anyway since yesterday the noise is coming when im driving, not a grinding but more like a whistling/whirring which comes intermittently when im driving and then stops. Very hard to explain but there then comes a noise as if something has clicked into place and it drives as normal. I did notice this morning that the noise came every time i put the heating on.

Sorry for the essay but im at end of my tether with it at the minute as spent so much last month getting sorted. Anyone have any ideas?

Under Lights

Sounds like you need to turn up your radio a bit.

tyrone girl

GJL

Quote from: tyrone girl on September 26, 2014, 09:27:52 AM
Guys help needed again. Christ my heads about to go with that car of mine!! Anyway after getting all done last month thinking this is great it was driving like a new car suddenly this noise has appeared. Now it only appeared when the car was started and lasted for about half a minute. Was like a grinding rattling from drivers side of the engine. Then it stopped. There was no issue whatsoever with the driving of the car it was driving fine and no noise yet every time i started it the noise would be there. I have slightly noticed that the steering is more rigid but nothing major to be honest.

Anyway since yesterday the noise is coming when im driving, not a grinding but more like a whistling/whirring which comes intermittently when im driving and then stops. Very hard to explain but there then comes a noise as if something has clicked into place and it drives as normal. I did notice this morning that the noise came every time i put the heating on.

Sorry for the essay but im at end of my tether with it at the minute as spent so much last month getting sorted. Anyone have any ideas?

Something to do with the aux belt I suspect. It runs the alternator and power steering pump. You mentioned the steering feeling different and it changed also when you turned on  the heating (put and electrical load on the alternator). Possible belt or belt tensioner problem. Get it looked at before it breaks. Should not be an expensive issue.

tyrone girl

Thanks very much i appreciate it  :)

laoislad

GJL..
I've a Audi A4 Avant.
Yesterday when I went to put the window down there was a grinding sound and the window only went down about half an inch.
Now it won't go up or down but I can hear the motor trying to work when I press the button.
Is it possible the glass has just come off its track or does it sound like the motor is fcuked?

How hard is it to take the inside door panel off of this type of car so I can have a look? I'm left now with the window down about an inch which is annoying.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.