Nolan Show

Started by Ulick, January 14, 2011, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

I'd imagine there is more to come around this, and today was just the IN casting their net.  Popcorn at the ready.

pbat

The Donaghadee melt down is great reading :)

Nanderson

Quote from: pbat on August 15, 2023, 09:44:46 PM
He's now deflecting on this story after complaining that the Irish News were deflecting from the Up the Ra chants story on Nolan on Monday. I'd say Jamie has opened a can of worms. Theres plenty of skeletons in his closet

Substandard

Quote from: Nanderson on August 15, 2023, 09:54:09 PM
Quote from: pbat on August 15, 2023, 09:44:46 PM
He's now deflecting on this story after complaining that the Irish News were deflecting from the Up the Ra chants story on Nolan on Monday. I'd say Jamie has opened a can of worms. Theres plenty of skeletons in his closet

Interesting few weeks ahead, depending on how this story evolves.  Mr Bryson could come under pretty intense scrutiny- running with the hare and hunting with the hounds could see all kinds of disclosures.
I was resigned to at least a fortnight on Féile.  The gap between tweets is a long time in Jamie's politics

marty34

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 15, 2023, 08:29:33 PM
Peadar Toibin is a regular contributor. You can't really blame Nolan for a lack of fenians if fenians boycott the show.

The question is why do they boycott it?

First SF and now the SDLP.  Better off without Nolan.  It's of no benefit to nationalist parties.

For a long time it was really the Bryson and Allister Show with Nolan getting the odd chance to speak.

Could you imagine Saoradh getting as much air time as them two...or more to the point Nolan allowing Saoradh to be on the show?
I think the whole thing turned for Nolan when people starting to do up graphs etc. of how often Allister etc. was on the show every month.

Aaron Boone

Tim McKane was the guy who opened the can of worms couple of years back.

The stats of contributors look bad for Nolan. He is a good interviewer but can't hide his bias.

GB News recruiters are on the phone.

AustinPowers

Quote from: marty34 on August 15, 2023, 10:21:05 PM
Peadar Toibin is a regular contributor. You can't really blame Nolan for a lack of fenians if fenians boycott the show.

First SF and now the SDLP.  Better off without Nolan.  It's of no benefit to nationalist parties.

For a long time it was really the Bryson and Allister Show with Nolan getting the odd chance to speak.

Could you imagine Saoradh getting as much air time as them two...or more to the point Nolan allowing Saoradh to be on the show?
I think the whole thing turned for Nolan when people starting to do up graphs etc. of how often Allister etc. was on the show every month.

;D Funny , and not  far off the truth

Nolan  show is the TV  version of the newsletter. It's a shit stirring show  with a shit stirring  host, and  the north would be a  better place without it on the  air

Eamonnca1

SF are in the huff about his coverage of the Bobby Storey funeral during the pandemic. The SDLP are in the huff about Matthew O'Toole being cut off in mid-sentence when he said something about David Campbell being a terrorist IIRC.

TBH the number of appearances on the show doesn't seem to be any big predictor of electoral success. SF topped the poll without having been on the show for years. The UUP gets a bigger say than the DUP but that doesn't seem to convert to election results either. I'd question how much influence the "biggest show in the country" really has.

I'm not sure if that's true. Any time I surveyed the show, Allister and Bryson were not really on that much. There could be something of a Mandela Effect going on. Allister and Bryson get on and say outrage-inducing stuff  ("the UVF were counter-terrorists" for example) that gets plenty of talk going on social media that amplifies the message. It makes it seem like they're on more than they really are because people are still talking about them days after they did their troll piece on the air.

Main Street

I've listened to Talkback quite a few times and I've never heard a Sin Féin rep contributing in any shape or form.
Is it just the Nolan show being boycotted by SF?

Eamonnca1

Haven't listened to Talkback since the days of Dunseith. Is it any good nowadays?

Eire90

crawley pretends to be this  goody two shoes guy but he comes across as smug  and he just rehashes the same topics over and over he must talk about a united ireland once a week thank god i dont listen to it anymore its just an extension of nolan really.

Snapchap

Not according to the full breakdown of stats posted by yourself on page 18 of this thread. According to that breakdown, he didn't appear once in the month of June. He also didn't appear throughout February when a other breakdown of guests was posted by myself on page 17 of the thread.

According to the breakdown for February, the breakdown of guests was:
Unionists: 22
Nationalists: 6 (3 of which are Alison Morris who is a journalist for a Unionist Newspaper)
Other: 4

Thats not just politicians. Thats politicians, journalists, commentators etc. Your stats from June seem somewhat similar a scenario, if not worse. Does that sound balanced to you?

SF are in the huff about his coverage of the Bobby Storey funeral during the pandemic. The SDLP are in the huff about Matthew O'Toole being cut off in mid-sentence when he said something about David Campbell being a terrorist IIRC.
SF's boycott of the show predates the Bobby Storey funeral by several years.

TBH the number of appearances on the show doesn't seem to be any big predictor of electoral success. SF topped the poll without having been on the show for years. The UUP gets a bigger say than the DUP but that doesn't seem to convert to election results either. I'd question how much influence the "biggest show in the country" really has.
Undeniable that he does carry an influence within unionism and particularly within the DUP due to his persistent platforming of Jim Allister and Bryson over the years. In recent years, Bryson has been dictating DUP policy to them and the only reason he has such influence is because Nolan gave him a platform and single handedly made him a household name. Can you name any other journalist or news outlet who gives him the time of day? As a textbook example of the influence his show has, I know I posted this before, but what typifies Nolan for me was his antics in February 2018 when stormont was collapsed, and talks were at an advanced stage aimed at reinstating the assembly. He spent months and months criticising politicians for not compromising to get the institutions back until lo and behold, the first day news leaked that a compromise may have been reached, Nolan was all over it the next morning like a rash, whipping unionism into an absolute frenzy over the news that the DUP had made an apparent compromise on an Irish Language Act. In the space of the ten days in/around that time in February '18, Nolan had Jim Allister on as a guest on his radio/tv shows on the 9th, 11th, 12th, on BOTH his radio and TV shows on 14th, on 15th and the 19th. That's seven times in ten shows. Unionism was whipped into a fury and the DUP were forced to pull the rug from under the deal.

Sportacus

Sam McBride won't be happy. He's a regular side kick to Nolan but has a reputation as a proper investigative journalist. Wonder will he pull back a bit.

RedHand88

Is Nolan just best ignored?

Eire90

yes its the same boring northern ireland politics everyday.