Nfl div 3

Started by sligoman2, January 25, 2016, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Quote from: laoislad on April 03, 2016, 04:42:44 PM
Howya lads. I believe this is where all the cool kids hang out.
Welcome aboard laoislad,
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

The Insider

Happened to be in the corridor of the dressing rooms in Pearse Park both before the game and at half time. If there was medals given out for incoherent roaring some Westmeath fella would have a pocketfull .

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 03, 2016, 05:07:00 PM
Welcome aboard laoislad,

Feck me, there goes the neighbourhood.

But I spose we'll make room for ye Laois lads and lassies .......... what are Armagh posters like?

SaffronHeart

Bit of northern flavour to this division now with us and the orchard men. Louth may aswell be Ulster as well  ;)

laoislad

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 03, 2016, 06:17:17 PM
Welcome aboard laoislad,

But I spose we'll make room for ye Laois lads and lassies .......... what are Armagh posters like?
They are a sensitive bunch SS,they don't understand the midlands bantz...

Anyways,road trip to either Portlaoise or Longford next year Shamrock? If it's in Portlaoise you drive I drink and if it's in Longford you drive I drink..sound fair?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

Bizarre to see Clare going up, but credit to them they got the results they needed, even though they lost to Offaly and Tipp, who I would still class as better teams than them.

Offaly will be happy enough with the campaign, although they will be disappointed with the result in Mullingar last week. Tipperary probably got as much out of it as I thought they could, with all the defections, absences and injuries. The problem for Tipp is next year won't be any easier to get out of, as Armagh and Laois come back in.

Westmeath? SMH.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 03, 2016, 10:30:53 PM
Bizarre to see Clare going up, but credit to them they got the results they needed, even though they lost to Offaly and Tipp, who I would still class as better teams than them.

Offaly will be happy enough with the campaign, although they will be disappointed with the result in Mullingar last week. Tipperary probably got as much out of it as I thought they could, with all the defections, absences and injuries. The problem for Tipp is next year won't be any easier to get out of, as Armagh and Laois come back in.

Westmeath? SMH.

+1 WTF

fearglasmor

As they do in many areas like discipline fixtures and structures the GAA cant help but fupp things up. Having made the decision to go with head to head as the deciding factor whem teams finish level on points they then screw it up by changing back to score difference. Offaly beat both Clare and Longford so are clearly the best of the three teams on 8 points on the basis of head to heads. End of.

shark

Quote from: fearglasmor on April 03, 2016, 11:29:24 PM
As they do in many areas like discipline fixtures and structures the GAA cant help but fupp things up. Having made the decision to go with head to head as the deciding factor whem teams finish level on points they then screw it up by changing back to score difference. Offaly beat both Clare and Longford so are clearly the best of the three teams on 8 points on the basis of head to heads. End of.

Head to head has only ever been used when two teams, and two teams only, are level. GAA messed nothing up here. These rules have been in place for a number of years. What would they have done in div1? Cork beat Mayo, Mayo beat Monaghan, Monaghan beat Donegal and Donegal beat Cork.

fearglasmor

If you apply the logic of head to head for 2 teams why not for 3 or more. If head to head doesnt give a result then move on to the next deciding factor. Points difference. Or els start with points difference and stick with that until it doesnt give a result  then move to the next decider. But mix n match is not logical or consistent. Like many things in the GAA. From refereeing to fixture management.

shark

Quote from: fearglasmor on April 04, 2016, 07:12:13 AM
If you apply the logic of head to head for 2 teams why not for 3 or more. If head to head doesnt give a result then move on to the next deciding factor. Points difference. Or els start with points difference and stick with that until it doesnt give a result  then move to the next decider. But mix n match is not logical or consistent. Like many things in the GAA. From refereeing to fixture management.

But it is consistent if it's applied across the board (as it is), for a number of years (as it has been) and everybody knew before the first ball was thrown in in round 1. It's very simple and straightforward to follow.

fearglasmor

I agree. There is a consistent absence of logic and consistency across the gaa. But to be fair it probably applies to most things in Ireland.
:D

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: laoislad on April 03, 2016, 09:10:04 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on April 03, 2016, 06:17:17 PM
Welcome aboard laoislad,

They are a sensitive bunch SS,they don't understand the midlands bantz...

Anyways,road trip to either Portlaoise or Longford next year Shamrock? If it's in Portlaoise you drive I drink and if it's in Longford you drive I drink..sound fair?

We'll come up with a suitable arrangement Lad from Laois.

Looking forward already.

Croí na hÉireann

Anyone surprised to see Clare going up couldn't have seen them in action this year. They put in the best performance I saw by a country mile in Division 3 this year, very impressive.

Westmeath, hard to know where to begin with them. You would struggle to invent the stuff they got up to yesterday. We had a fella under hitting a ball so much that it bounced twice into the keepers hands when he could have fisted it over. Another fella palmed it to the keeper where anywhere else it was a certain goal. A keeper, who struggled with kickouts all day, came for a high ball and was so intent on clattering the lads under it that that the ball went straight over them and somehow bounced over the bar. A fella playing midfield who is clearly not an inter county midfielder. All in the heads with these lads, they have themselves convinced that they're not footballers of any description. Callum was good in the first half and probably our best performer in the league, Paddy Holloway, is away for the summer. The Longford lads would want to put in longer studs for the soft ground as well as they had awful hardship staying on their feet, particularly in the scoring zone.

Where to go from here? Well, Cribbin is gone after this year I'd safely say. Doubt even another Leinster Final appearance would save him. A genuine, passionate man but tactically and coaching wise not at the races. How many post match interviews has he given now where he can't explain what has just occurred? An even more crucial appointment though is getting someone like Ned Quinn in to run the show and overhaul the whole structure from top to bottom in Westmeath. Otherwise the bad old days could be back for good.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

I'm surprised at Clare, because I've seen them a bit over the past couple of years, and because both Tipperary and Offaly beat them this year. But their home form has been immense, and they had some excellent performances in Ennis. I'm delighted for Colm Collins, because he is putting in a big effort with those guys, and I'm glad they get their moment in the sun.