2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Tony it dosent take a genius to know Donies best position is full foward and always will be . I can't see him getting to a fitness level required for midfield anyway. He is needed close to goal in the danger area where he can get a score out of nothing plus is a great target man. Also a defensive system needs to be put in place to avoid leaking too many scores against poor teams.

Tony

Yeah as I said my preferred positions for him are at 11 or 14, but he can do OK at midfield if needs be. The thing with Donie is, he's very creative, very aware and has an excellent football brain and very clinical (something we don't have in spades). He can also take a score from distance better than anyone else on the team. We need him on the ball as much as possible, as our best player. For that reason, I'd love to see him at 11, I think it suits him very well and he can get on plenty of ball and not be waiting for it to land on his lap. We have enough players who can do a good job at 14.

on the hop

Big problem with him been at 11 at present is that with the blanket defence nearly every team is employing is that he hasn't the pace to go at them. While he is hard to stop when he gets going  he does suffer from getting stripped and bottled up at times. Paul Kingston has been a mixed bag in the position, at times his passing has been excellent and when he backs himself to go at the centre back he has got a few scores. He doesn't like tight marking and the last two games he had tended to stop and turn back to often. Probably has suffered from the lack of movement ahead of them at times to place a pass. We will need him and I hope the injury isn't to bad.

CruiseCigar

All

a link to a  set of pictures from the Laoise v Londain game on 11th March 2018. It was a food day out . Two points in end was not a lot and all I would say is a win is a win.

http://gaapictures.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/laoise-v-londain-11th-march-2018.html
Laoise abĂș

High Fielder

I don't think we can make room for all of these forwards who are very similar. All good score takers, but can't tackle and won't track back. It's because of them, and particularly when they're on the pitch at the same time, that our backs become so exposed. We get attacked in waves and outnumbered. It is working against technically poor teams, but even they seem capable of unlocking us. It can't and won't work higher up the ladder.

I have faith in Sugrue, but he hasn't got the personnel. There's no doubt we have good footballers, but we make serious sacrifices positionally to try and get quality players to do a job. Dillon and Attride so far back spring to mind. Old failings still haunt us. Physically we are weak and lack any sort of bite. Our tackling doesn't exist. It's such a big responsibility for Nerney in particular, and the poor lad is being bombarded because it's so easy to get at our full back line. Lads further up the pitch need to stop the flow and work so much harder. It's grand putting up big scores as individuals, but as a team we need to be harder to break down. We have the best man for the job in Sugrue, but we need a defensive plan if we don't have key players for key positions. And in my opinion we don't.

town1980

Just a quick point high fielder you say we have the best man for the job in John surgu but we need to come up with a defensive plan??.. am I missing something.??is it not his job to come up with it the plan and to put lads in place to carry this out ?or am I totally missing this point because I expect John and his crew to do what you say or else it's no different because at the minute we have played the worst teams in Ireland and have two more to come you can dress it up anyway you like div 4 is terrible woeful in terms of any quality and to date we have beaten absolutely shocking teams

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on March 14, 2018, 10:45:17 PM
Just a quick point high fielder you say we have the best man for the job in John surgu but we need to come up with a defensive plan??.. am I missing something.??is it not his job to come up with it the plan and to put lads in place to carry this out ?or am I totally missing this point because I expect John and his crew to do what you say or else it's no different because at the minute we have played the worst teams in Ireland and have two more to come you can dress it up anyway you like div 4 is terrible woeful in terms of any quality and to date we have beaten absolutely shocking teams
You talk some shite all the same.

Unison

Quote from: Don Draper on March 15, 2018, 09:31:14 AM

He does! Where is he from?

An Watcher

Big game in Ahoghill this weekend for Antrim.  Need to pull out all the stops against a fancied Carlow side

O moore parklife

Quote from: Unison on March 15, 2018, 07:26:28 PM

Did ye not make an agreement last year to ignore this fella
The irony is not lost on me mentioning it

Catch and Kick

Quote from: An Watcher on March 15, 2018, 07:44:58 PM
Big game in Ahoghill this weekend for Antrim.  Need to pull out all the stops against a fancied Carlow side

Ahoghill?

Don Draper

Quote from: Unison on March 15, 2018, 07:26:28 PM

Kildare.

Give and Go

Never mind the flour bag!!

Antrim or Carlow? What result suits best?

BrendanAntrim

you'd be wanting Carlow to win and therefore have promotion in the bag before they play you. If we beat them, they will need a win V Laois to have any chance.

Think we will beat them narrowly then our final league game V Laois can be played as the league final.