Knuckle

Started by Croí na hÉireann, February 20, 2012, 12:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

The underside of the story.

Nine people, who were accused of behaving in a threatening, abusive and insulting manner on YouTube, have been bound to the peace for two years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0222/longford.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

bennydorano

Anywhere to watch this?  Hearing rave reviews about it, doesn't seem to be on the RTE player.

Candyman

Have it on DVD Benny... Give me a shout!! ;-)

Tubberman

Quote from: bennydorano on February 26, 2012, 07:58:32 PM
Anywhere to watch this?  Hearing rave reviews about it, doesn't seem to be on the RTE player.

It's on RTE Player - http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1136736
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

bennydorano

Quote from: Candyman on February 26, 2012, 08:15:01 PM
Have it on DVD Benny... Give me a shout!! ;-)

Good man, throw it into the club when your down that way, cheers.

No joy with the link - black north?

Smokin Joe

Did anyone notice Paddy Doherty as one of the referees at the last fight in Luton?

I'd say that doesn't live up to his reputation at the minute as a "lovable rogue".

Denn Forever

Repeated tonight on BBC Four at 22.00.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

LeoMc

Caught the second part of it on BBC4 last night but missed the beginning.
Wha twas the background to the feud, there was some mention of videos being made and one man being killed but I didn't pick up enough to put it together?

nrico2006

Missed it last night, when is it on again?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Doogie Browser

Quote from: winghalfun on March 06, 2012, 12:45:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d24dm/Storyville_20112012_Knuckle_Bare_Fist_Fighting/

Not sure how long it is going to be there.
It will probably remain for a few weeks, then a few related clips will start to appear and before you know it the iplayer will be covered in clips.

Olly

I watched this and it brought back serious bad memories. My father was a bit of a gambler and when he was unable to bet, like in the middle of the night as in those days in Internet and computers hadn't been invented, he used to get me and my 5 brothers and 7 sisters up and put us into the yard and made us fight bareknuckled and he pretended to be betting on it. I got some serious hammerings as a 5-yr-old although he always made me fight my oldest brother who was 22 so it was a bit of a mismatch. I got my own back when I had a flashback during my confirmation and decked my father during communion.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

bennydorano

I laughed more than i winced, compulsive viewing. There should be a reality show for Granda Joyce, i'd watch that, mad as a bag of cats.

All of a Sludden

THE woman found beaten to death in her home yesterday is married to one of the stars of a documentary film about violence in Traveller culture.

Jacqueline McDonagh (34), a mother of three, was found with "horrendous injuries" at around 3am yesterday morning in her home at College Manor, Hoey's Lane, Dundalk, Co Louth.

Her husband, Michael Quinn McDonagh, was a subject of the 2011 Ian Palmer-directed documentary 'Knuckle' and the pair's marriage was shown on the film.

The documentary, which followed violent feuding between the McDonagh, Nevins and Joyce families, was filmed between 1997 and 2007 and released last year to critical acclaim.

The director was first introduced to the world of Traveller bare-knuckle boxing at the wedding of Ms McDonagh and her husband.

It was at the wedding that he met James Quinn McDonagh, Michael's brother and the McDonagh family champion fighter.

Mr Palmer was introduced to the brothers by a fellow filmmaker who was doing the wedding video for the couple.

Training

Last year, Mr Palmer described how he was invited to undertake the project after attending the wedding.

"A couple of weeks later, the other brother, Paddy, gave me a call," he said in an interview.

Mr Palmer was told that James was training to fight and was invited to film it.

"So it was step-by-step. I was never focused on forcing my way into this world. This world opened up. A crack opened," he added at the time.

Many movie critics reacted positively to the documentary and its behind-the-scenes peek at Traveller life.

'Knuckle' won acclaim at the Sundance and New York film festivals and was shortlisted for a Grierson Award for Best Cinema Documentary.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.