Apple Watch

Started by Dougal Maguire, January 13, 2019, 08:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

The screen on my Apple Watch which is just over a year old has started to 'perish' around the edges. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and more importantly are there repair options other than paying a couple of hundred quid to Apple?
Careful now

Mikhail Prokhorov

First world problems eh  ::)

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on January 14, 2019, 12:32:15 AM
First world problems eh  ::)
Yup, like most of the problems posted on this Board. Thanks for taking the time out to respond. Your contribution has been invaluable
Careful now

Seany

I broke mine a few months ago in the same way.  You can ring Apple and they'll sympathise, but they'll blame you and make you pay for it.  They design all their products to break easily.  In fact, I'm convinced their iphones are styled perfectly to slip out of your hand and break.  Ridiculous.  Many of use our phones to watch things like Netflix, sky etc, but you can't lay them on their side because they'll slip.  Glad to see they're losing market share.  They need a good kick up the ass.  I'm thinking of moving to Huaiwei

Kidder81

Quote from: Seany on January 14, 2019, 06:54:52 PM
I broke mine a few months ago in the same way.  You can ring Apple and they'll sympathise, but they'll blame you and make you pay for it.  They design all their products to break easily.  In fact, I'm convinced their iphones are styled perfectly to slip out of your hand and break.  Ridiculous.  Many of use our phones to watch things like Netflix, sky etc, but you can't lay them on their side because they'll slip.  Glad to see they're losing market share.  They need a good kick up the ass.  I'm thinking of moving to Huaiwei

Yeah and amazing how the phones develop a problem just after the warranty expires. Got my daughter a Huawei for Xmas, to replace her IPhone 7 and she much prefers it. Know quite a few that have have jumped to Huawei from Apple and haven't looked back

Dougal Maguire

I'm going to get a Garmin or a Fitbit
Careful now

thebigfella

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 13, 2019, 08:01:57 PM
The screen on my Apple Watch which is just over a year old has started to 'perish' around the edges. Does anyone know if this is a common fault and more importantly are there repair options other than paying a couple of hundred quid to Apple?

Is it not under warranty?

Dougal Maguire

No. It has a 12 month warranty. Problem exacerbated by the fact that I bought it in the US
Careful now

Main Street

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 14, 2019, 09:02:19 PM
No. It has a 12 month warranty. Problem exacerbated by the fact that I bought it in the US
Apple's warranty is world wide, proof of purchase is all that's needed. If the 12 months period has expired that's another matter, however if your screen has deteriorated due to a manufacturing defect, you may be protected. 

Kidder81

Quote from: Main Street on January 14, 2019, 09:35:23 PM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on January 14, 2019, 09:02:19 PM
Apple's warranty is world wide, proof of purchase is all that's needed. If the 12 months period has expired that's another matter, however if your screen has deteriorated due to a manufacturing defect, you may be protected.

They will find a tiny scratch on it and say your carelessness has caused the defect

Milltown Row2

Looking to get the wife an Apple watch, not as good as the Garmin for me but it seems she would like get one.... Not looking top end I see its at number 7 in their series but looking one that will record her heart sleep all that malarkey..

I seen that they scratch easy from previous posts, has that been improved with the newer versions?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2022, 02:48:18 PM
Looking to get the wife an Apple watch, not as good as the Garmin for me but it seems she would like get one.... Not looking top end I see its at number 7 in their series but looking one that will record her heart sleep all that malarkey..

I seen that they scratch easy from previous posts, has that been improved with the newer versions?

I bought a apple watch six (2nd hand). Does the job. Tells the time and the exercise tracker is good. Mine hasn't scratched at all but battery probably needs replaced as need charged everyday (few years old now). The only thing is yes it mirrors your iPhone (if you want to speak into your wrist like James Bond) you'll probably turn all the apps off to save battery power in the end. Worth think about as their cheaper alternatives and of course as I get older (and wiser) I buy more an more 2nd hand or refurbished/renewed as they now call it.