Ryder Cup 2018

Started by Boycey, September 26, 2018, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Might as well give it a thread of it's own.

From a betting perspective it's hard to see how the teams are ranked almost even. USA 10/11 Europe 5/4. The Ryder Cup is great viewing but Europe is an entity I can't get too excited abput, I can't imagine getting into a heated debate in the pub over Europe..

gallsman

Get the bingo cards ready.

Spirit of Seve
A Poulter snarl
Montgomerie referencing his own RC record
Anyone from Sky describing it as the biggest prize in golf.

Boycey

Sky will be worn out by Friday, they going flat to the mat all week. Live coverage every afternoon, Poults Ryder Cup Memories airing at the minute..

gallsman

LIVE at the Ryder Cup: players eat lunch.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Quote from: Minder on September 26, 2018, 06:45:41 PM
It's all so manufactured

It's complete and utter w**k. No doubt enjoyable but still, w**k.

laoislad

f**k the begrudgers. I love it.
The 3rd day of the Medinah Ryder Cup was one of the most exciting and edge of the seat sporting events I've ever watched.
It's sport entertainment at it's best.
Can't wait for it to start.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Therealdonald

Quote from: laoislad on September 26, 2018, 07:22:36 PM
The 3rd day of the Medinah Ryder Cup was one of the most exciting and edge of the seat sporting events I've ever watched.
Cant like it. Always found it as an excuse for non-major winners to cling to something, probably because the world's best don't care for it.

trailer

It's a load of dung and it's a complete manifestation of everything hateful about America (especially when it's played in the USA). Drunk yobs shouting, unsportsmanlike conduct, controversy and sometimes cheating.
Hence, I will be glued to all 3 days.

lenny

Quote from: Therealdonald on September 26, 2018, 07:30:39 PM
Cant like it. Always found it as an excuse for non-major winners to cling to something, probably because the world's best don't care for it.

Exactly, for most top players it's a bit of a jolly. They can pretend they really care about it all they like but deep down golfers are selfish and the team ethos doesn't sit well with them. After winning last week woods will enjoy this weekend without having the pressure of trying to follow up on his win. The americans in particular don't really give a sh*t about the ryder cup.

Minder

McDowell used to turn into big Ern McCracken when playing in the Ryder Cup
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

Come on you boys in Blue.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 26, 2018, 08:59:21 PM
Come on you boys in Blue.

EUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!

Orior

Quote from: lenny on September 26, 2018, 08:39:25 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on September 26, 2018, 07:30:39 PM

Exactly, for most top players it's a bit of a jolly. They can pretend they really care about it all they like but deep down golfers are selfish and the team ethos doesn't sit well with them. After winning last week woods will enjoy this weekend without having the pressure of trying to follow up on his win. The americans in particular don't really give a sh*t about the ryder cup.

Perhaps all individual sports people are selfish: Golfers, Tennis players, Darts players, Handball, Boxers. Of course its all about me.

Soccer, gaelic, hurling, rugby, of course its all about the team.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

I would echo the sentiments that it a pile of overblown nonsense.

But there's something about its mix of history, entertainment, prestige and competitiveness, that all the money, marketing genius and strategic nous in the modern world could not hope to produce a tournament to compete with it, or replicate its success. Whether we like it or not, it has a magical aura which sucks people in.

And it sucks me in every time.