The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Jeez who'd have thought bringing up tits on a Dad's thread would cause such a fuss. Zip code to be fair you've come across as patronizing as f**k there IMO, whether you meant it that way I don't know. Breast feeding worked for us, it didn't for our friends through no lack of desire and effort on their part. It was terribly upsetting for them and I'm sure for many others out there. It's not just as black and white as you suggest.

The wife expresses from time to time and I for one love the time with my daughter when I'm giving her the bottle. Never have to do it in the middle of the night so maybe that helps. Anyway our we cutty is just over 3 months now and sleeping a good 11 hrs solid (touch wood), it makes some difference to get a nights sleep, not as much fighting in out house anyway due us not being 'as' cranky!

Under Lights

Our 18 month old girl's language has come on fantastic over the last two months. Stringing words together where she is saying things like 'Hello, who's that?'- while pretending to be on the phone  :-\ 'Bickie all gone' 'Baby fall down' etc. She can make a quare stab at any name she has been presented with.
All children develop differently, someone once told me that they won't walk and talk at the same time that they can usually only fully develop one or the other- ie my nephew was talking before he could walk.

PS hard to wack them milky jugs, am I right.

gawa316

Quote from: Under Lights on September 03, 2014, 03:05:12 PM

If I could get anywhere near them!! However they are indeed a sight to behold!

Under Lights

Quote from: gawa316 on September 03, 2014, 03:15:28 PM
Quote from: Under Lights on September 03, 2014, 03:05:12 PM

If I could get anywhere near them!! However they are indeed a sight to behold!

On the first 'outing' after the wife's section, eight weeks later, I wore a cowboy hat. YEEEE HAW

Ulick

Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2014, 02:05:18 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2014, 02:01:40 PM
Whether are breast or bottle fed eventually they'll start talking

I'm a little nervous about my own lad, 14 months old and not a peep of a coherent syllable out of him. He's perfectly alert in every other respect. I'm told it's not necessarily anything to be worried about, but did anyone else have to wait that long(er)?

Our oldest was 2 and a half before he started talking but and rarely shuts up now. So long as he's alert and understands what you are saying there shouldn't be anything to worry about. Apparently some children are naturally shy when it comes to speaking and prefer to play words out in their head before actually trying to verbalize them. The same wee man goes to an Irish language school and was the same with the Gaeilge in that he didn't try to speak it for a long time even though he could understand instructions. Almost 5 now and can chat away in both languages.

omaghjoe

Here lads I in no way intended to come across as all high and mighty, judgmental or preaching to anyone, and I apologise if I did. Its just I am a serious advocate of breastfeeding and want to promote it as the best way for mammy and baby

Let me tell you something now it was no walk in the park in the park for us doing this. My wife and I both have done alot of reading, done a natural childbirth course and she goes to support group, so we are were probably better placed than most to deal with and prevent the problems encountered with breast feeding.
One thing that my wife read summed up the time it consumed and that was questions from new mothers..the lady asked "why did no one tell me that m baby would be feeding 24hours a day?" The answer was simply you would have thought it was an exaggeration.

Even with all our prep nothing could have prepared us for it tho. I do pretty much all the cooking and washing up, to free up Mum for the baby. Chores was one of the reason one of our friends switched to the bottle but her husband does 12hrs days I do 8hrs and can come home at lunch for an hour, so we cant judge. We are pretty much both doing chores all the time although it's starting to free up rightly now. But I cannot imagine what we will do when there are more wanes around so people with 2 or 3... I hear you

Mammy had a serious hard time at first but actually loves it now plus it handier than the bottle: baby cries, latch her on glug glug glug... burp glug glug...burp and thats it! No mess, no heating up, no bottles to clean.

But I would stress you need support, commitment, and a fair bit of knowledge.

I often wondered how new Mums done in years gone by when there was no choice only to breast feed and I was thinking that the knowledge and traditions of breast feeding were passed down through the family, grandmother to mother to daughter, its something that been lost but the knowledge is still there in books and support groups

Zip Code

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 03, 2014, 02:25:22 PM
Our daughters speech developed quite slowly, we were told that so long as she could follow instruction then her language wasn't a concern. She is now an exceptional reader for her age, I wouldn't be unduly concerned.

+1, it is important to repeat things back correctly like if they say I want ausages you repeat you would like a sausage, etc etc, some people laugh at the cuteness of the blabbering and the child will repeat for said attention, my second went to speech and language when she was in p1 for sh sounds, 8 weeks and she was perfect at the end.

Zip Code

Quote from: gawa316 on September 03, 2014, 02:57:38 PM
Jeez who'd have thought bringing up tits on a Dad's thread would cause such a fuss. Zip code to be fair you've come across as patronizing as f**k there IMO, whether you meant it that way I don't know. Breast feeding worked for us, it didn't for our friends through no lack of desire and effort on their part. It was terribly upsetting for them and I'm sure for many others out there. It's not just as black and white as you suggest.

The wife expresses from time to time and I for one love the time with my daughter when I'm giving her the bottle. Never have to do it in the middle of the night so maybe that helps. Anyway our we cutty is just over 3 months now and sleeping a good 11 hrs solid (touch wood), it makes some difference to get a nights sleep, not as much fighting in out house anyway due us not being 'as' cranky!

If that's what you think Kid, I won't be losing any sleep over if.  I'd love to show the quote where I said it is black and white, some women can't be arsed with it, some haven't the support to show how to do it properly, some have medical reasons for either mum or the baby, fact is breast is best it my wife breast my three for 6 to 9 months, it takes hard work, some people take the easy option of the bottle and that's best for them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on September 03, 2014, 08:06:26 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on September 03, 2014, 04:40:28 AM
Our first is just coming up to the 4month mark now and she's a real joy.

Anyway the wife done the whole thing natural and breast feeding is the only way for us. Its the way God intended it and best for baby and Mammy. Wouldn't have the formula stuff about us, the thing is you don't know whats in it or more to the point whats not in it and neither do the scientists.

Breast milk is specifically designed for your baby's DNA at the correct stage in their development, only way to go.
It might be the only way for you but for hundreds of reasons it may not be the way for everyone.
So maybe less of the preaching and big lecture to us all joe.

Sorted

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 02, 2014, 03:22:50 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on September 02, 2014, 02:42:54 PM
Mini-me turned 13 in July.  Starting to get more independent which I enjoy watching but I'm bricking myself about the next three years.  We had  a serious chat last night about drugs and whilst some of you might think that that is a bit much at his age, he told me he has been having these drug awareness classes in school.  It was fantastic to see it from his perspective; as a teenager we only got told not to cycle in Moneydig or give cheek to the army/cops.  However with the epidemic of meth use in Perth it is sad to say he has already seen the effects with stoners flailing around the streets and what have you.

There is only so much protection a parent can give.

(PS, the birds and bees have been well catered for...by his mates!  I attempted to "explore" the conversation but was told it wasn't necessary. :o )

Try having those type of conversations with a 13 year old daughter!!! Head melt
This is very funny
http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Rules-Dating-Teenage-Daughter/dp/0761126333/

Rule #1: if you pull into my driveway and honk, you'd better be delivering a package, because you're sure as heck not picking anything up
Rule #2: Keep your hands and eyes off my daughter's body or I will remove them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyHarp

I'm taking the wee fella on a plane for the first time next month. Flying from Manchester to Belfast and back. I've tried to contact Easyjet about this but cant seem to get through or get a replay to emails, but does anyone know what sort of ID I would need for him? He is one and a half and im not sure if he needs a passport to travel that route or the birth certificate may be ok as it was for going on the boat. Anyone got any advice?
That was never a square ball!!

Under Lights

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 11, 2014, 08:29:22 AM
I'm taking the wee fella on a plane for the first time next month. Flying from Manchester to Belfast and back. I've tried to contact Easyjet about this but cant seem to get through or get a replay to emails, but does anyone know what sort of ID I would need for him? He is one and a half and im not sure if he needs a passport to travel that route or the birth certificate may be ok as it was for going on the boat. Anyone got any advice?

I have the same issue- flying to Birmingham with the same age child. I seen online that they were talking that the child doesn't get their own seat but must sit on your knee. £22 for that privilege.

Ulick

Seen a boy on Twitter the other night complaining as well he wasn't allowed to walk or stand in the aisle with his toddler.

Hereiam

You don't need to show id if your flying from Belfast to England. All you need is your boarding pass.

front of the mountain

Hi just looking some thoughts/advice of people regarding the jabs/vaccines for wee ones. (I believe they with 20+ vaccines within a year & a half)

I have wee boy 8 weeks old and got the letter from doctor to take him for his first jabs next week. I am fairly hesitant for some reason, after doing a bit of research and I am just wondering are they all necessary?? End of the day you are pumping your little one with possibly unnecessary viruses as well as "God knows" what else.

Has any on here chosen not to vaccinate?