The Official Daddies Club

Started by Under Lights, July 09, 2014, 09:02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

While breastfeeding is definitely the best option. To ignore the dangers involved with inadequate breastfeeding would be madness. And it is not as simple as saying you have to stick at it. Both Hypernatremic dehydration and jaundice are common from inadequate breastfeeding and both can be dangerous. There is multiple reasons why a mother might not be fit to breast feed adequately, other than discomfort. And unfortunately the sticking at it regardless routine can cause serious trouble for the baby. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Zip Code

Quote from: trueblue1234 on September 03, 2014, 01:01:07 PM
While breastfeeding is definitely the best option. To ignore the dangers involved with inadequate breastfeeding would be madness. And it is not as simple as saying you have to stick at it. Both Hypernatremic dehydration and jaundice are common from inadequate breastfeeding and both can be dangerous. There is multiple reasons why a mother might not be fit to breast feed adequately, other than discomfort. And unfortunately the sticking at it regardless routine can cause serious trouble for the baby.

I know all the dangers trueblue and wasn't saying just stick to it, though I am glad my wife did, their are lots of reasons why a mother shouldn't breast feed, their are also lots of mothers who just don't want to for whatever reason.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Zip Code on September 03, 2014, 10:40:17 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on September 03, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on September 03, 2014, 09:43:41 AM
The wife tried it but it just wasn't working out as the child was losing too much weight  Expressing at the minute and topping up with formula and she's now thriving.

With the breast feeding we were never sure what she was getting so at least this way we can keep an eye on exactly what her intact is.  It also helps with bonding for me

That would be my concern too. We bottle fed both of ours, and so far they are thriving thank God. Also, it's nice for Daddy to feed as well. Something nice when they are staring up the bottle at you as you feed them.

They get what they need, breast is best.

The above quote would have suggested otherwise IMO.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Whether are breast or bottle fed eventually they'll start talking

This book is very good if you want to develop a calm family atmosphere where shouting and roaring are kept to a minimum

http://www.kennys.ie/catalog/product/view/id/2334223/s/how-to-talk-so-kids-will-listen/
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on September 03, 2014, 02:01:40 PM

I'm a little nervous about my own lad, 14 months old and not a peep of a coherent syllable out of him. He's perfectly alert in every other respect. I'm told it's not necessarily anything to be worried about, but did anyone else have to wait that long(er)?

AZOffaly

Wouldn't worry deiseach. Kids seem to develop when they are ready to. Our little one is 15 months now, and is still at the Dada, Mammy, Birdy, Wow Wow, phase. Our other little lad was yapping away at this stage.

Have you had the hearing checked, just in case? The developmental checkups normally give you reassurance.

laoislad

Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2014, 02:05:18 PM

I'm a little nervous about my own lad, 14 months old and not a peep of a coherent syllable out of him. He's perfectly alert in every other respect. I'm told it's not necessarily anything to be worried about, but did anyone else have to wait that long(er)?
Maybe get his hearing checked. Might have fluid in his ears which will affect speech.

Edit:Sorry AZ didn't see your post suggesting the same.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2014, 02:05:18 PM

A friend of mine's brother was more or less silent until he went to school. He was more into listening than talking.
Some kids prefer to understand the language first before jumping into speaking I think. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 03, 2014, 02:10:14 PM
Wouldn't worry deiseach. Kids seem to develop when they are ready to. Our little one is 15 months now, and is still at the Dada, Mammy, Birdy, Wow Wow, phase. Our other little lad was yapping away at this stage.

Have you had the hearing checked, just in case? The developmental checkups normally give you reassurance.

Yes, his hearing is fine. Call out his name and he is immediately alert. I think my concern is because it's hard to get a diagnosis if there is a problem. My wife had awful trouble downstairs for months after the birth and it was always treated as if it was within the range of what was normal ("you might be experiencing pain for up to six months" etc). It took a third opinion before someone admitted there might be a problem over and above the usual adjustment difficulties. This isn't to blame anyone, by the way, it's just an inevitable expression of concern.

Brick Tamlin

Eldest girl jabbered and jabbered and talked at an early stage.
Her wee sister is just turned 2 and she a lot slower. Mama, Daddi, Nani, Ganda, Nemo.
She is just slower to speak, nothing to be worried about I wouldn't think. Everyone develops at their own pace.

The Bearded One

Our daughters speech developed quite slowly, we were told that so long as she could follow instruction then her language wasn't a concern. She is now an exceptional reader for her age, I wouldn't be unduly concerned.
It is what it is. Presumably.

deiseach

Quote from: The Bearded One on September 03, 2014, 02:25:22 PM
Our daughters speech developed quite slowly, we were told that so long as she could follow instruction then her language wasn't a concern. She is now an exceptional reader for her age, I wouldn't be unduly concerned.

It's the 'unduly' part that's the trick ;) Anyway, thanks everyone for the feedback.

AZOffaly

Hey, if you're looking to have no concerns you're in the wrong job :D I find worrying about them is a 24x7 existence :)

deiseach

A bit like supporting the Reds then.

AZOffaly

There are similarities alright, but the Reds are in the ha'penny place.