Shipyard

Started by tyroneman, August 06, 2019, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on August 08, 2019, 08:49:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2019, 07:57:20 PM
Jesus there's some miserable cnuts about.

No one is disputing the fact that's it's done, it finished early 2000, it's been on life support ever since.

Anyone that thinks the cranes are an eye sore is a tool, just my opinion.

Was it not used for the assembly of wind turbines in the recent past?
That's what I was told by one of the engineers onsite a while ago and that was why it had trundled on for the last few years.

Doing wind turbines is not ship building, there was 50 core workers the rest were contractors
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 08, 2019, 04:32:53 PM
What's so iconic about the cranes? I think they are a blight on the Belfast skyline
They are big yellow industrial pieces of equipment, look like SFA and they are only there 50 years.
Would there be the same clamour to save Divis Tower? A ton of people wanted to demolish Bank Buildings after the fire which are historic beautiful and will be functional again, the gantry cranes cant claim any of that.

There's no accounting for taste, is there? I think the cranes look great, and as far as I know they are listed as landmarks. And rightly so. Have you ever been up close to them? They're massive. Very impressive.

I think someone once decided that the majestic chimney of the Johnson-Allen linen mill in Lurgan was an 'eyesore' at one point, and a magnificent part of the town's industrial heritage was lost as a result. Once you take these things down you can't put them back up. Leave them alone.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 08, 2019, 10:23:54 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on August 08, 2019, 04:32:53 PM
What's so iconic about the cranes? I think they are a blight on the Belfast skyline
They are big yellow industrial pieces of equipment, look like SFA and they are only there 50 years.
Would there be the same clamour to save Divis Tower? A ton of people wanted to demolish Bank Buildings after the fire which are historic beautiful and will be functional again, the gantry cranes cant claim any of that.

There's no accounting for taste, is there? I think the cranes look great, and as far as I know they are listed as landmarks. And rightly so. Have you ever been up close to them? They're massive. Very impressive.

I think someone once decided that the majestic chimney of the Johnson-Allen linen mill in Lurgan was an 'eyesore' at one point, and a magnificent part of the town's industrial heritage was lost as a result. Once you take these things down you can't put them back up. Leave them alone.

Your entitled to your opinion eamonn.... perhaps the chimney was demoed on safety grounds?

The Hollywood sign for example is another awful looking landmark. But millions come to see it every year.... doesnt it make it nice tho it's quite stupid looking really.

Been up close to them and seen bigger ones... to me a gantry crane is impressive in the same way as a drill ship..magnificent piece of heavy engineering but is purely functional and was not designed for aesthetics in any way. Would you want one of those sitting in the middle of belfast lough tho just cos a few were built at the shipyard

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

omaghjoe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2019, 11:31:27 PM
I suppose with landmarks like this in Omagh you're spoilt for choice..

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186484-Activities-c47-Omagh_County_Tyrone_Northern_Ireland.html

Attractions and landmarks are two separate things the spires overlooking the strule or with the Sperrins in the background would probably be the most well known.

There used to be a tannery where the bus depot in Omagh is, precious few people would even be aware of it.

Scotts Feeds used to have a grain silo demoed a few years back

Desmonds used to have a factory..... demolished now a cinema

The mart gone... now Dunnes

All these things are part of Omaghs heritage and townscape icon in their own ways....but they looked like crap. Cant mind so much a murmur of discontent about them, maybe a bit of sentimentality of times past but no one would be for keeping them.

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2019, 11:31:27 PM
I suppose with landmarks like this in Omagh you're spoilt for choice..

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186484-Activities-c47-Omagh_County_Tyrone_Northern_Ireland.html

Was very tempted to review Healy Park there but I won't!!!

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 08, 2019, 07:57:20 PM
Jesus there's some miserable cnuts about.

Anyone that thinks the cranes are an eye sore is a tool, just my opinion.

100%. But if you come from somewhere with little industrial or built heritage then appreciation of such structures will always be limited. Sad but true.

Christmas Lights

Would these East Belfast engineers be willing to travel to Coalisland, Clonoe, Dungannon, Ardboe for work?  The screening and crushing guys have been screaming for fitters, welders, plasma cutters for the guts of 2 years. 

One of the big issues is the work mentality / ethic of the employees in places like H&W.  Its was the same with the employees in Caterpillar in Monkstown, couldn't get the cnuts to work so caterpillar just shut shop.  Not sure if that's a Belfast / city mentality but they are so protected by their trade unions and have always had a "thats not my job" attitude it sometimes comes as no surprise when the business starts to suffer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 09, 2019, 03:11:19 PM
Would these East Belfast engineers be willing to travel to Coalisland, Clonoe, Dungannon, Ardboe for work?  The screening and crushing guys have been screaming for fitters, welders, plasma cutters for the guts of 2 years. 

One of the big issues is the work mentality / ethic of the employees in places like H&W.  Its was the same with the employees in Caterpillar in Monkstown, couldn't get the cnuts to work so caterpillar just shut shop.  Not sure if that's a Belfast / city mentality but they are so protected by their trade unions and have always had a "thats not my job" attitude it sometimes comes as no surprise when the business starts to suffer.

And you've a link to back that up? The CP plant in Belfast Monkstown and Larne closed cause they couldn't get the cnuts to work?

playwiththewind1st

Is it perhaps the case that the good burghers of Ulster haven't ever heard of the protestant work ethic? 

Tony Baloney

I don't think it's a Belfast thing, rather it's a unionised labour issue. When you have a union holding an employer to ransom then it's easy for the employees to think they call the shots and work as fast or as slow as they want. I used to work in Nortel in Monkstown and we regularly worked unpaid overtime to deliver projects but the shop floor workers wouldn't hear of it. That site is now closed.

Clinker

Quote from: hardstation on August 09, 2019, 07:55:57 PM
People won't work for nothing shocker there, Tony.

If Nortel was reliant on unpaid overtime to keep them afloat, they were on a sticky wicket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUNTk5xsxk4&gl=IE

trailer

Employees don't know they're born sometimes. There's full employment now and they've the pick of good jobs, but it's not always like this.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 09, 2019, 07:16:12 PM

I don't think it's a Belfast thing, rather it's a unionised labour issue. When you have a union holding an employer to ransom then it's easy for the employees to think they call the shots and work as fast or as slow as they want. I used to work in Nortel in Monkstown and we regularly worked unpaid overtime to deliver projects but the shop floor workers wouldn't hear of it. That site is now closed.

I wouldn't say there would be much, well any, correlation between unpaid overtime from factory workers and nortel going tits up. Nortel was going belly up globally and some factory workers in monks town wouldn't really have had that much to do with it.

Trailers stats on employment these days are very skewed by zero hour contracts. It is only an employees market in a few spaces.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 10, 2019, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 09, 2019, 07:16:12 PM

I wouldn't say there would be much, well any, correlation between unpaid overtime from factory workers and nortel going tits up. Nortel was going belly up globally and some factory workers in monks town wouldn't really have had that much to do with it.

Trailers stats on employment these days are very skewed by zero hour contracts. It is only an employees market in a few spaces.
Correct. I was merely highlighting the difference in the mindset between the unionised labour and people who see getting the job done as the target. Each to their own, but getting the job done on time in a service based industry tends to keep clients happy. I see it now in my current company - you have clock watchers and workers and in general clock watchers don't progress very far.