Football All Stars 2019

Started by Estimator, August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Sean O'Shea has got to win one. His performance in first final was one of the best all year.

Angelo

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 19, 2019, 01:26:53 PM
Sean O'Shea has got to win one. His performance in first final was one of the best all year.

He had a great game in the drawn final but he wasn't even the best player on the pitch. I think O'Brien had a better Championship from the games I saw. I think Murphy is more deserving of one this year than both of them though. There's a lot of competition in the forward line.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Angelo

Quote from: Nanderson on September 18, 2019, 10:26:52 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 18, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 18, 2019, 09:01:18 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 18, 2019, 08:08:40 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on September 18, 2019, 07:54:56 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 18, 2019, 06:11:18 PM
Personally think it would be insane not to have Ciaran Kilkenny in the team of the year. I'd have him a strong contender for Footballer of the Year also. Also not entirely convinced Fenton gets an allstar - he had two of his worst games ever in the two finals (high bar but still). That said I can't think of a midfielder that deserves one over him bar Moran perhaps. There's always a bit of a fudge and they might drop Murphy or Howard into midfield and leave McShane out. Below is harsh on McShane and Fenton but in my opinion is fairer overall.....couldn't have Kilkenny or one of Howard/Seán O'Shea missing out either.

Cluxton
Fitzsimons   McNamee    O'Sullivan
Durcan    McCarthy    McCaffrey
        Howard        Moran
M Murphy    Kilkenny    Sean O'Shea   
Mannion  Con O'Callaghan  Clifford

Dubs 8, Kerry 4, Mayo 1, Donegal 1, Tyrone 1.
Fenton is nailed on. McShane and Rock ahead of Kilkenny and Mannion too. Howard into half forward with Murphy missing out.

Murphy will get one. Arguably his best ever season. You rarely see players completely dominating championship matches like he did for large stretches of the summer.
Where though? Both midfielders are a cert and theres at least 6 forwards from Dublin and Kerry more deserving, plus McShane.

Can't agree.

Murphy deserves one. He was outstanding throughout the Championship, his display against Kerry in the Super 8s was the best individual display in the season. He should be nailed on for one at 11.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien
Clifford McShane O'Callaghan
O'Shea is a nailed on All Star. Won the sigerson with UCC as top scorer, 2nd top scorer in National League with Kerry finishing runners up, Munster winner and All Ireland finalist, 2nd top scorer in the Championship playing 2 less games than McShane and produced 2 good displays in both finals

1 less game than McShane and he got much more of his scores from placed balls than McShane.

Armagh18

Quote from: Angelo on September 19, 2019, 03:51:38 PM
Personally think it would be insane not to have Ciaran Kilkenny in the team of the year. I'd have him a strong contender for Footballer of the Year also. Also not entirely convinced Fenton gets an allstar - he had two of his worst games ever in the two finals (high bar but still). That said I can't think of a midfielder that deserves one over him bar Moran perhaps. There's always a bit of a fudge and they might drop Murphy or Howard into midfield and leave McShane out. Below is harsh on McShane and Fenton but in my opinion is fairer overall.....couldn't have Kilkenny or one of Howard/Seán O'Shea missing out either.

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Fenton is nailed on. McShane and Rock ahead of Kilkenny and Mannion too. Howard into half forward with Murphy missing out.

Murphy will get one. Arguably his best ever season. You rarely see players completely dominating championship matches like he did for large stretches of the summer.
Where though? Both midfielders are a cert and theres at least 6 forwards from Dublin and Kerry more deserving, plus McShane.

Can't agree.

Murphy deserves one. He was outstanding throughout the Championship, his display against Kerry in the Super 8s was the best individual display in the season. He should be nailed on for one at 11.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien
O'Shea is a nailed on All Star. Won the sigerson with UCC as top scorer, 2nd top scorer in National League with Kerry finishing runners up, Munster winner and All Ireland finalist, 2nd top scorer in the Championship playing 2 less games than McShane and produced 2 good displays in both finals

1 less game than McShane and he got much more of his scores from placed balls than McShane.
Whats the placed ball argument got to do with anything? All count the same. If McShane was as accurate as SoS Tyrone might have beat Kerry. (Thats not a slight on McShane btw who I really rate, but O'Shea on different level)

Angelo

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 19, 2019, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: Angelo on September 19, 2019, 03:51:38 PM

Cluxton
        Howard        Moran

Can't agree.

For me it would be:

Howard Murphy O'Brien

Whats the placed ball argument got to do with anything? All count the same. If McShane was as accurate as SoS Tyrone might have beat Kerry. (Thats not a slight on McShane btw who I really rate, but O'Shea on different level)

Not really.

Placed balls are free shots, you don't have to worry about about being blocked down or forced away from goal, being shown your wrong side, being forced to overcarry, have to make split second decisions with players converging on you from all angles. You put the ball down, take your time and put it over the bar. By the time the free is awarded it might through the endevaour and leadership of a teammate and the free taker can tap over a gimmee.

O'Shea is a fantastic free taker, the best in the game along with Rock but a free taker for Kerry is going to score a barrowload, that's given. O'Shea had an excellent game in the drawn final but I don't think he lit up any other game bar maybe the Super 8s games with deflated Meath where he seemed to score well.

Blowitupref

45 All star nominations will be made public tomorrow morning

Not my selection but what i expect to be selected

Goalkeepers

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
Shane Ryan (Kerry)
Shaun Patton (Donegal)

Defenders

Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry)
Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin)
Paddy Durcan (Mayo)
Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Colm Boyle (Mayo)
David Byrne (Dublin)
John Small (Dublin)
Donal Keogan (Meath)
Jonny Cooper (Dublin)
Paul Murphy (Kerry)
Gavin Crowley (Kerry)
Tadgh Morley (Kerry)
Jason Foley (Kerry)
Niall Daly (Roscommon)
Frank Burns (Tyrone)
Stephen McMenamin (Donegal)

Midfielders

Brian Fenton (Dublin)
David Moran (Kerry)
Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Michael Dara McAuley (Dublin)
Bryan Menton (Meath)

Forwards

Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)
Cathal McShane (Tyone)
David Clifford (Kerry)
Sean O'Shea (Kerry)
Brian Howard (Dublin)
Paul Mannion (Dublin)
Stephen O'Brien (Kerry)
Michael Murphy (Donegal)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
Paul Geaney (Kerry)
Dean Rock (Dublin)
Conor Cox (Roscommon)
Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
Peter Harte (Tyrone)
Paddy McBreaty (Donegal)
Mark Collins (Cork)
Luke Connolly (Cork)

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Armagh18

Rian O'Neill Armagh might be decent shout for a nomination.

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on September 26, 2019, 09:19:17 PM
45 All star nominations will be made public tomorrow morning

Not my selection but what i expect to be selected

Goalkeepers

Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)
Shane Ryan (Kerry)
Shaun Patton (Donegal)

Defenders

Tom O'Sullivan (Kerry)
Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)
Michael Fitzsimons (Dublin)
Paddy Durcan (Mayo)
Ronan McNamee (Tyrone)
James McCarthy (Dublin)
Colm Boyle (Mayo)
David Byrne (Dublin)
John Small (Dublin)
Donal Keogan (Meath)
Jonny Cooper (Dublin)
Paul Murphy (Kerry)
Gavin Crowley (Kerry)
Tadgh Morley (Kerry)
Jason Foley (Kerry)
Niall Daly (Roscommon)
Frank Burns (Tyrone)
Stephen McMenamin (Donegal)

Midfielders

Brian Fenton (Dublin)
David Moran (Kerry)
Aidan O'Shea (Mayo)
Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)
Michael Dara McAuley (Dublin)
Bryan Menton (Meath)

Forwards

Con O'Callaghan (Dublin)
Cathal McShane (Tyone)
David Clifford (Kerry)
Sean O'Shea (Kerry)
Brian Howard (Dublin)
Paul Mannion (Dublin)
Stephen O'Brien (Kerry)
Michael Murphy (Donegal)
Ciaran Kilkenny (Dublin)
Ryan McHugh (Donegal)
Paul Geaney (Kerry)
Dean Rock (Dublin)
Conor Cox (Roscommon)
Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone)
Peter Harte (Tyrone)
Paddy McBreaty (Donegal)
Mark Collins (Cork)
Luke Connolly (Cork)

Would imagine Rian O'Neill and Jamie Brennan will get in ahead of the two Cork lads in the forward line. McHugh more likely to nominated in the half back line.

3 nominations for Mayo seems a little sparse considering they made the semi finals, injuries and rotation probably didn't help in that regard.

Cunny Funt

Mickey Newman will probably be nominated or should be. I think only Rock,McShane and O'Shea scored more than him this summer. Darren Coen was one of Mayo's stand out players this summer and probably should be nominated also.

MayoBuck

Chris Barrett should get a nomination too. Darren Coen had a good year but being left out of the game vs Dublin may count against him.

Captain Obvious

According to the Irish independent 11 counties are represented in the nominations.

13 for  Dublin
9 for Kerry
6 for Donegal
4 for Mayo
3 for Tyrone
3 for Meath
2 for Armagh
2 for Roscommon
1 for Cavan
1 for Cork
1 for Clare

It's between  Stephen Cluxton, Jack McCaffrey and Con O'Callaghan for footballer of the year

Young Player of the Year Nominees are David Clifford, Seán O'Shea and Rían O'Neill

Gael85

Jamie Malone Clare nominated for All Star. Delighted to see him nominated as Clare best player in their qualifier run. Pity he is taking year out to go travelling next year.

tonto1888

Rian O'Neill and Jarly Og Burns both nominated. Great to see

Angelo

3 for Tyrone seems a little short though I don't think anyone will feel that robbed of a nomination. Think Cassidy and Rory Brennan had much better years than some of those defenders nominated though.

Dinny Breen

3 Meath players nominated.  :o

Recap
Scraped past Div 3 Offaly
Hammered Div 3 Carlow
Hammered Div 3 Laois
Hammered by Dublin scoring a mighty 4 points
Scraped past Div 2 Clare
Lost to Donegal by 9
Lost to Mayo by 9
Lost to Kerry by 8