Apple's data centre in Athenry

Started by Maroon Manc, October 12, 2017, 11:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Someone was telling me the 2 people who've objected to the proposed data centre don't even life in Galway, anyone know if that is the case?

Geoff Tipps

mouview

There were 3 objectors originally AFAIK. The Wicklow one was thrown out, basically because it was none of his business. Of the other 2, one is a local solicitor and the other is originally American, married locally, again AFAIK. Unsure if they have grounds for further appeal.

Rossfan

And if they have kids they'd probably be the first to complain that "there's no jobs round here for the young people. What's the Government doing about it? ".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

So three people and a dog were able to block a major project. Like I said, the NIMBY lobby is too powerful. It's time to clip their wings.

Boycey

Admittedly I only speed read those links in mick999's post but it came across to me especially in the news.vice one that there was someone in what the American guy was saying?

Syferus

The Vice article makes Coillte forestry seem like it's a setting ripped from Princess Mononoke. Anyone who actually knows what they like wouldn't have typed that with a straight face.

The American opposed the data center Amazon are building too, crank would be the correct word for him alright and it's no surprise the locals in Athenry turned against him.

Good for everyone that this shíte is done and some jobs can be created in the West.

heganboy

Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 05:13:43 PM
And if they have kids they'd probably be the first to complain that "there's no jobs round here for the young people. What's the Government doing about it? ".

Rossfan,
data centers, aren't great job creators, you get security guards, maybe. A few construction jobs while she's going up...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

Ah now, it depends on what sort of Data Centre it is, and how many servers and what types. You'll need Server engineers, networks guys, maintenance guys, etc etc. I saw an article that said data centres would employ between 100 and 300 people depending on size. That's not bad for Athenry.

heganboy

this is a single use data center- more like 30-40
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Rossfan

Quote from: heganboy on October 12, 2017, 07:11:37 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 12, 2017, 05:13:43 PM

Rossfan,
data centers, aren't great job creators, you get security guards, maybe. A few construction jobs while she's going up...
They were saying 100 on the News.
However will anyone else be bothered choosing Ireland when this type of delay is caused.
The Danish one planned at the same stage is now built.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

There was still a fast-tracking of sorts to get to the court decision today. Back in the day, the M50 extension was held up by Carrickmines Castle protestors for years.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 12, 2017, 05:26:41 PM
So three people and a dog were able to block a major project. Like I said, the NIMBY lobby is too powerful. It's time to clip their wings.
NIMBY??  Jaysus you'd have a hell of a back yard if it stretched from Wicklow to Athenry!! It's too easy for cranks to halt progress.
Careful now