Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

The blame for Brexit and its consequences for Ireland lies fairly and squarely with Dublin,who willingly consented to the removal of Articles 2 and 3 from its constitution,thus formally ceding the North to Britain.

As it agreed that Britain owns the North it can hardly complain if they decide to pull the North out of the EU

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2017, 05:52:25 AM
The blame for Brexit and its consequences for Ireland lies fairly and squarely with Dublin,who willingly consented to the removal of Articles 2 and 3 from its constitution,thus formally ceding the North to Britain.

As it agreed that Britain owns the North it can hardly complain if they decide to pull the North out of the EU

Moron.

You complain incessantly that the Dublin government  have no interest in the people in the North . They have secured the backing of the EU 26 to keep the occupied territories in the single market and customs union, thus protecting jobs up there.

This crisis is the fault of the DUP.  They are as deluded as you are.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The Daily Telegraph is insane. It is rabidly pro Brexit. 
Yesterday Juliet somebody had an article asking why Ireland would want to make a fuss aboout the border over a few milk churns.

T Fearon

Seafoid,the South is only concerned with it's economic well being hence its (belated) interest in the Border.While in Dublin last Tuesday I heard Vincent Browne on radio quite rightly say that for decades neither the government or people in the South gave a damn about the plight of Northern Nationalists.

The fact remains the Dublin govt enthusiastically urged the southern electorate to abandon Articles 2 and 3 thus effectively agreeing that the North is British.It cannot now complain about anything the British do in the North,as they agreed that the British should govern it.

ashman

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2017, 10:14:14 AM
Seafoid,the South is only concerned with it's economic well being hence its (belated) interest in the Border.While in Dublin last Tuesday I heard Vincent Browne on radio quite rightly say that for decades neither the government or people in the South gave a damn about the plight of Northern Nationalists.

The fact remains the Dublin govt enthusiastically urged the southern electorate to abandon Articles 2 and 3 thus effectively agreeing that the North is British.It cannot now complain about anything the British do in the North,as they agreed that the British should govern it.

Tony

The two main parties for northern nationalists urged northern nationalists to abandon Articles 2 & 3 in 1998 .

Rossfan

And if the old Articles 2 and 3 were still there what -exactly would happen or what difference would it make?
Anyway the GFA states that the 6 Cos remain under Westminster jurisdiction till a majority of their voters decide otherwise.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

The reality is that all nationalist parties and the Dublin Govt advocated a yes vote in the GFA,and the removal of Articles 2 and 3 were an intrinsic part of this,requiring approval of the electorate in the South via a referendum.

This legitimised British Rule in the North,gave consent to such,therefore no one can complain if the British drags the North out of the EU after consenting that the British should rule the North

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2017, 12:25:21 PM
The reality is that all nationalist parties and the Dublin Govt advocated a yes vote in the GFA,and the removal of Articles 2 and 3 were an intrinsic part of this,requiring approval of the electorate in the South via a referendum.

This legitimised British Rule in the North,gave consent to such,therefore no one can complain if the British drags the North out of the EU after consenting that the British should rule the North

The GFA establish the principle of the British remaining in NI until a majority there wanted them to leave. But it is also provided certain parameters as to how they should run the place in the meantime which is why Varadkar has now called them out.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on November 27, 2017, 12:31:51 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2017, 12:25:21 PM

The GFA establish the principle of the British remaining in NI until a majority there wanted them to leave. But it is also provided certain parameters as to how they should run the place in the meantime which is why Varadkar has now called them out.
The GFA was based on the assumption that the 32 counties and GB would both be in the EU.

seafoid

It is not only interested in itself. The passport is very clear. It applies to the whole island. People in NI are just as Irish as people in Limerick.

I think the war clouded things.  Nationalists were tagged with identities that did not reflect the reality. NI is a contested space. It was never as British as England.

tiempo

Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2017, 12:54:57 PM

It is not only interested in itself. The passport is very clear. It applies to the whole island. People in NI are just as Irish as people in Limerick.

I think the war clouded things.  Nationalists were tagged with identities that did not reflect the reality. NI is a contested space. It was never as British as England.

As Britain is the union between Scotland England and Wales then by extension no part of Ireland has ever been British. Fancy that.

T Fearon

When the NI statelet was set up,with significant Southern consent even then it was based on the constitutional preference of the majority.A border referendum was held in the early 1970s in the North,therefore the principal and reality of constitutional change by majority consent was in place long before the GFA.

Assumptions are foolhardy.As an old boss of mine stated frequently "Assume" makes an ass out of "u" and "me".

There is no way of avoiding the fact that the GFA represented formal nationalist consent of the British entitlement to govern the North.Now there can be no complaints about the British taking the North out of the EU,as this and anything else the Brits legally want to do with the North was fully consented to back in 1998.

Denn Forever

I'm afraid there will be from thee a new border.

What are the sticking points?  I think britain want their cake and eat it?  For leaving the EU, why do they have  to pay?  Has any one done a cost/benifit analysis?  How much do they pay in and how much do they get back in subsidies?

The mantra from the brexit side seeems to be always, at least now we'll be making our own laws.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

LeoMc

Quote from: tiempo on November 27, 2017, 01:41:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 27, 2017, 12:54:57 PM

As Britain is the union between Scotland England and Wales then by extension no part of Ireland has ever been British. Fancy that.
It is one of the British Isles.

T Fearon

Has the Freestate completed a cost/benefit analysis? I understand it will shortly be,if not already a net contributor? Is membership worth it in return for a border in Ireland,mass immigration adding to housing and public service crises,tariffs on trade to the UK,ceding  more and more sovereignty to Europe?