Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Dubh driocht on November 22, 2017, 09:05:39 PM
https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2017/1117/920981-long-read-brexit/

Tony Connolly is the best source of accurate analysis on Brexit- it takes a Nordie to produce clarity on this complex issue.
I suppose there is the odd Nordie who can put a pen to paper and elicit an intelligent and astute article which cuts to the core of the dilemma of the brexit in relation to the border and inform the rest of us. However, for the most part, Nordies are highly strung and best avoided as a source of rationality.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Main Street on November 22, 2017, 11:40:10 PM

Tony Connolly is the best source of accurate analysis on Brexit- it takes a Nordie to produce clarity on this complex issue.
I suppose there is the odd Nordie who can put a pen to paper and elicit an intelligent and astute article which cuts to the core of the dilemma of the brexit in relation to the border and inform the rest of us. However, for the most part, Nordies are highly strung and best avoided as a source of rationality.

Rascist much?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haveaharp

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 23, 2017, 07:39:05 AM

Rascist much?

Would be if Northern Irish was either a nationality or a race.

seafoid

He is very good but David Allen Green in the FT is too. The Daily Telegraph is the best source of nonsense on Brexit.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

paddyjohn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 23, 2017, 07:39:05 AM

Rascist much?

Not racist, just a complete t!t.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Arlene said this morning that she/unionists would not allow anything makes NI less british than the rest of the UK. She knows rightly that it is different. We have a:

- North/South Ministerial Council
- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- all-ireland sports bodies for rugby, cricket, gaelic
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

tiempo

Quote from: Orior on November 24, 2017, 01:52:40 PM
Arlene said this morning that she/unionists would not allow anything makes NI less british than the rest of the UK. She knows rightly that it is different. We have a:

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.

NI by construct is not British, don't have a clue why Michelle O'Neill was at the Tory party conference in Manchester but she had plenty of chance to remind Arlene on stage in front of her Tory overlords and in front of the assembled media and blew it. Irritating to say the least.

Milltown Row2

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.

Has Arlene been to Bradford? Pratically India/Pakistan
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.

Same sex marriage for one. Arlene is happy to take a different stance on that one.

AQMP

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.

A society where tyre and pallet burning is considered a culture

ashman

Quote from: AQMP on November 24, 2017, 02:36:32 PM

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.

A society where tyre and pallet burning is considered a culture

Nothing to be a county final win by a small club .

Dubh driocht

- all-Ireland tourism
- Shared electricity
- native Irish tongue

Please add others.
Orior, this list could on and on.
It's so obvious that it's probably not worth wasting any more time on- your list is a fraction of the reasons NI is less British than the rest of the UK. In turn,we Gaels must acknowledge the British tradition and culture, particularly in the six counties, but throughout the island. However, of much more concern at present is the possibility of an election in the 26 counties before Christmas so for once I agree with Arlene that this would be a distraction. Not for the talks process in NI but for Brexit talks.
While I don't have a lot of time for Varadkar and Coveney, they have shown a bit of resolve in the Brexit negotiations and I particularly like the Taoiseach's determination to get a result for the whole island. I don't have confidence in Micheal Martin. As the next few weeks will be critical in the negotiations so FFS FF and FG , come to some arrangement over the Tánaiste's position to avoid an election.
What we all need is for NI to remain in the single market and in the Customs Unions, or at least some arrangement close to this. This will be essential for the future prosperity of our children, North and South. Arlene is saying no based purely on an anti-Irish viewpoint. She currently has the power to keep a useless Tory government in power yet the equally useless UK Labour executive are as silent as the grave on this issue. There are no nationalist MPs in Westminster to influence the debate. The Tories need to keep Arlene sweet so are happy to sell NI up the river to retain her support. Meanwhile there is the risk of no Irish government to maintain the impressive EU resolve to sort the Irish situation. Brigid Laffin's article highlights this- a perfect storm.
If I was totally paranoid I would wonder if British securacrats revealed the email to Frances Fitzgerald at the most opportune time to distract the 'opposition' - and FF have fallen for it.

Dubh driocht