Airtricity in the North

Started by The Gs Man, April 21, 2011, 08:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Lads, I had some dude call at the house there asking me to switch from NIE to Airtricity.  Offering a reduced rate etc for 1 or 2 years, depending on how long you want to sign up for.  Pay by Direct Debit, paperless billing, read your own meter and all that jazz.

Obviously I can't make a decision on my own and need the wise words from my fellow GAA Boarders before I sign up to anything.

So, anyone made the switch?  Any hassle?  Any problems?  How's the customer service?  Noticed any reduction in your bill? etc etc.

Thanks!  :)
Keep 'er lit

Maguire01

We've made the switch. The process was hassle free. Haven't looked at the bills, but if the tariff is cheaper, the bills are cheaper. Seems like a no-brainer.

Gas is next with Phoenix prices going up by nearly 40%.

Minder

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 21, 2011, 08:22:32 PM
We've made the switch. The process was hassle free. Haven't looked at the bills, but if the tariff is cheaper, the bills are cheaper. Seems like a no-brainer.

Gas is next with Phoenix prices going up by nearly 40%.

Heard a couple of horror stories from ones in work about Airtricity, they never took the DD for four or five months and then took it all in one payment. Is there much hassle with switching gas suppliers in Belfast?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gaffer

Bumping this thread

Got a caller to the door. Told him I may be interested but to come back when I get more independent info on it.

Anyone know if its better than NI Power?

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Minder

Quote from: Gaffer on April 18, 2013, 05:52:24 PM
Bumping this thread

Got a caller to the door. Told him I may be interested but to come back when I get more independent info on it.

It's certainly cheaper, think it is the cheapest supplier at the minute

BenDover

Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2013, 06:37:33 PM
Bumping this thread

Check out budget energy they are the cheapest in the North, I've been a key pad user for more thn a year now and have had no issues

Minder

Quote from: BenDover on April 18, 2013, 09:24:43 PM
Quote from: Minder on April 18, 2013, 06:37:33 PM
Bumping this thread

Check out budget energy they are the cheapest in the North, I've been a key pad user for more thn a year now and have had no issues

They must have dropped their prices, good stuff, I will have to switch back to them.

Maguire01

Bumping this thread

They all use the same network, so as far as I understand, price and customer service are the only considerations.

JUst retired

I went from Airtricity  to Budget energy. They are certainly cheaper. Pay as you go with card meter.
Saving about £15 per month.

nrico2006

I have been with Airtricity a while now thinking they were the cheapest, budget energy could be the ticket then.  Never even heard of them to be honest.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I'm with Airtricity in the South and I think how all these ones work is they sign ye up and its cheapest for the year but then it goes up so you need to check it every year.
I had to call them back this year to get the discounted rates.

tbrick18

We've got Airtricity on a car meter. But I'm going to move.
When we got it in about a year ago I told them I wanted to move to standard meter to pay by direct debit (as its the cheapest option). They said they'd be in touch about doing it, but I've been in touch with them about 8 times and they still have organised it.
On top of that, you cant buy top ups for the meters online. You can buy them over the phone, but it costs you £5 to do it.....they never told me about that. So it's less convenient than PowerNI and Budget Energy.
We are in the process of changing to Budget. They do offer the option of top ups online and dont charge fees for phone top ups.
I'm not too impressed by Airtricity.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 19, 2013, 12:37:16 PM
When we got it in about a year ago I told them I wanted to move to standard meter to pay by direct debit (as its the cheapest option). They said they'd be in touch about doing it, but I've been in touch with them about 8 times and they still have organised it.
On top of that, you cant buy top ups for the meters online. You can buy them over the phone, but it costs you £5 to do it.....they never told me about that. So it's less convenient than PowerNI and Budget Energy.
We are in the process of changing to Budget. They do offer the option of top ups online and dont charge fees for phone top ups.

I have Airtricity in the North, there is much of a muchness in terms of the cost.  We are not big users,don't run tumble dryer etc.  They  are setting up an App to topup online.This was a real bug bearer of mine.  The issue about the £5 charge, I presume that is because you top up with a credit card. There is no charge for using a debit card.   

tbrick18

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 19, 2013, 12:57:26 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on April 19, 2013, 12:37:16 PM

I have Airtricity in the North, there is much of a muchness in terms of the cost.  We are not big users,don't run tumble dryer etc.  They  are setting up an App to topup online.This was a real bug bearer of mine.  The issue about the £5 charge, I presume that is because you top up with a credit card. There is no charge for using a debit card.

Nope, I topped up with a debit card over the phone and had £5 charge. I'd done it a few time before I noticed too. Ragin.com.

LeoMc

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 19, 2013, 09:00:44 AM
I have been with Airtricity a while now thinking they were the cheapest, budget energy could be the ticket then.  Never even heard of them to be honest.

I think that from prices came down at the beginning of the year that Airtricity may be marginally cheaper (0.1p/unit) than Budget. the only reason I haven't switched over to them is that they want to tie you in for 1-2 years to get that lower rate.

the switch from Power NI to Budget was hasssle free. I think I did it on line. The only difference is the header and bottom line on the bill.