NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFM

Quote from: FermGael on March 02, 2020, 10:47:16 AM
Quote from: AFM on March 02, 2020, 10:35:11 AM
I assume the Fermanagh - Armagh will have to be a mid-week fixture?

Can't see it.
Why would it be played midweek?

Games that were called off due to weather a few weeks ago were played on the free week.
Free week this weekend so I would say Sunday

Apologies got my dates mixed up I assumed we were down to play Roscommon on Saturday.

Rufus T Firefly

Games that were called off due to weather a few weeks ago were played on the free week.

Sunday definitely an option, but I've heard whispers that Saturday evening is being considered - might be due to Fermanagh hurlers at home on Sunday?

FermGael

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on March 02, 2020, 11:00:46 AM

Sunday definitely an option, but I've heard whispers that Saturday evening is being considered - might be due to Fermanagh hurlers at home on Sunday?

Don't know.  I have not heard.
Would say Saturday could be in the mix as well as I suppose it will give teams an extra day recovery for the week after.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Cunny Funt

Cavans home loss to Clare the most eye brow rasing result in this division. Did a bit of Cavan complacency play a part in that result?

Jack O'Connor finally steering Kildare away from relegation, didn't someone say they have a great record in O'Moore Park.

The rossies go from bottom of the table after round 2 to now top of the table. Not certain of promotion yet especially with two tough away games to come.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 02, 2020, 11:29:55 AM
Cavans home loss to Clare the most eye brow rasing result in this division. Did a bit of Cavan complacency play a part in that result?

Jack O'Connor finally steering Kildare away from relegation, didn't someone say they have a great record in O'Moore Park.

The rossies go from bottom of the table after round 2 to now top of the table. Not certain of promotion yet especially with two tough away games to come.
Hardly that big a surprise. Both teams are missing players. While we might have out performed them league wise over the last good while, when it comes to championship Clare have made great improvements and are a very decent side. You could even argue they've out performed us in championship last 5 years. Plus it's D2 afterall.

balladmaker

Fermanagh v Armagh, re-fixed for 7PM Saturday night.

APM

Seriously tight division
You would have to expect a team to be relegated on 6 points and a team promoted on possibly less than 10 points.  Armagh were relegated a couple of years ago on 6 points, going down on scoring difference, with four teams (Fermanagh, Derry, Armagh and Meath) on 6 points.

In the last 10 years, across a number of divisions, teams have come second on 8 points also - although it's a rarity.

Ran through the table there and among all of the permutations, I think it is technically possible with two full rounds to go, that we could have 6 teams on 7 points, one of which would be promoted and one of which will be relegated. Would be great accumulator for someone with plenty of money to spare. 

Itchy

What would happen if the government were to ban public gatherings?? Matches would all be off. Would they play behind closed doors. Would they just cancel all remaining league games and the tables remain as they are. Any precedent back in time I wonder?

Cavan19

Quote from: Itchy on March 03, 2020, 01:43:39 PM
What would happen if the government were to ban public gatherings?? Matches would all be off. Would they play behind closed doors. Would they just cancel all remaining league games and the tables remain as they are. Any precedent back in time I wonder?

The Cavan hurlers could play away anyway.

armaghniac

Quote from: Cavan19 on March 03, 2020, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: Itchy on March 03, 2020, 01:43:39 PM

The Cavan hurlers could play away anyway.

And Derry footballers, as their supporters do not constitute a crowd.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AFM

I have a feeling Fermanagh might sneak this, especially after the collapse in Mullingar, the defensive frailties are there for all to see, could be a interesting last few rounds, with potentially someone playing in tier two on score difference!

Laois Rising

There are so many twists and turns left in this division. Cavan looked a beaten docket after week one, by week four were topping the table and expected to beat Clare and push themselves firmly into the promotion places. Now with the loss to Clare they are now looking over their shoulders again with games against Kildare away and Roscommon at home on the final day they could easily find themselves not gaining another point before end of the league. With the remaining match-ups in the division it wouldn't surprise me to see a team relegated on 6 points. 

This division shows why an All-Ireland championship equivalent to a senior, intermediate and junior club championship could work. There is little between the counties ranked 8th (Meath) to the top 4/5 teams in division 3. Games between these teams in the height of summer would be hugely competitive and enjoyable.     

Captain Obvious

Quote from: AFM on March 04, 2020, 09:12:09 AM
I have a feeling Fermanagh might sneak this, especially after the collapse in Mullingar, the defensive frailties are there for all to see, could be a interesting last few rounds, with potentially someone playing in tier two on score difference!

Defensive frailties yes but Fermanagh would need to find their scoring boots also as so far all they have managed is 1-11, 0-8, 0-13 and 0-14. Sean Quigley is a big loss for them. 

Captain Scarlet

On a general note here, are we all fooling ourselves into even wanting to go up as realistically it seems there will be a yo-yo going on for a few years.
When you look at the Div 1 games there is a big jump and I for one am nearly glad Kildare don't look to be going anywhere. Chrust when I think what Galway, Dubs, etc would do to us...

It is a mad division mind and I am still very worried but a big win last day for Kildare v Laois where they showed a lot more bite.
Every game is 50/50 at this stage. Ideally Armagh can keep Fermanagh down a bit from my POV and then any kind of result versus Cavan would be welcome.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.