NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Solo_run on January 28, 2020, 02:26:44 PM
What incentives are there for winning the tier 2 championship?

A 45 second highlights package on TSG.

Look-Up!

I don't think the incentives of the back door are that obvious either apart from the extra games which you get anyway.
Plenty of players have shown contempt for the qualifiers down through the years.
It's a new format and maybe not as much a feel of a leper colony about it as the Tommy Murphy Cup had. The landscape has changed a bit over the last 10 years too so there might be a bit more of an appetite this time round. 

Blowitupref

A Croke Park final we are told and will be live on TV. I'll be very surprised if counties going into the Tommy Murphy don't have a bigger increase on opt outs.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2020, 01:46:36 PM
For teams in the 8-20 ranking bracket championship is more often than not a damp squib once you lose first game.
Personally if Cavan are in Division 3 and lose to Monaghan I wouldn't be too despondent about facing into B championship. I'd actually see the benefits long term of possibly getting to a reasonable profile final against a decent opponent instead of just seeing the season peter out with tepid following.
Anyone else the same?

Will have about the same interest and importance has a Division 3 league final.

AFM

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2020, 03:00:26 PM

A 45 second highlights package on TSG.

If that, a joke of a competition.

BennyCake

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 28, 2020, 03:18:41 PM

A Croke Park final we are told and will be live on TV. I'll be very surprised if counties going into the Tommy Murphy don't have a bigger increase on opt outs.

The Timmy Murphy final was at Croke Park and live on TV. Tier 2 will decimate county football in 20-odd counties.

Solo_run

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2020, 03:53:01 PM

The Timmy Murphy final was at Croke Park and live on TV. Tier 2 will decimate county football in 20-odd counties.

They should have just created North, East, South and West conferences. Instead we have something much worse in place.

BennyCake

Quote from: Solo_run on January 28, 2020, 04:03:07 PM

They should have just created North, East, South and West conferences. Instead we have something much worse in place.

That's not much difference to the provincials. Open draw is the only way. Never going to happen though.

DuffleKing

Why is the worthiness of any competition measured by the TV coverage? That seems a mental approach within an amateur association. Not many county finals shown on TV - does that weaken their impact on the competitors or supporters?

Solo_run

Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2020, 04:13:28 PM

That's not much difference to the provincials. Open draw is the only way. Never going to happen though.

Do teams in D3 and D4 who get to their provincial finals go into the tier 1 competition or do they stay in tier 2?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Solo_run on January 28, 2020, 04:48:34 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 28, 2020, 04:13:28 PM

Do teams in D3 and D4 who get to their provincial finals go into the tier 1 competition or do they stay in tier 2?
Tier 1. As ever provincial final loser play round 3 winners in round 4 of the qualifiers.

Rossfan

It will now be the Round 1 winners playing the Provincial losers in Round 2.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2020, 06:34:43 PM
It will now be the Round 1 winners playing the Provincial losers in Round 2.

Which would make round 1 of the qualifiers a fairly evenly matched affair. The really strong teams, Dublin Kerry etc will not be involved, there will be no Div 3/4 minnows, and there might not be much between any teams playing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

giveballaghback

Winner of tier 2 qualifies for the tier 1 championship the following year regardless of league position.

Look-Up!

Time will tell if it gets traction. Chance of provincial success however slim is still there so no change on that front.
Think the Super 8's have killed any real hope for counties having a one off wonder after provincials.