Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 27, 2020, 02:43:29 PM
Ding ding round 2.

Saturday
Laois v Armagh, O'Moore Park, 6pm
Cavan v Westmeath, Breffni Park, 7pm

Sunday
Clare v Kildare, Cusack Park, 2pm
Fermanagh v Roscommon, Brewster Park, 2pm

Armagh have struggled with Laois in the past can't see this being any different, Cavan couldn't improve that much in a week to get anything against Westmeath.  Clare - Kildare could be a close one but I would say Roscommon will take Fermanagh easily enough.

Armagh should win in closer contest than Saturday night. Kildare should beat Clare who are without their two most important players. Cavan at home need a reaction and might grab a draw. Roscommon couldn't beat Laois at home it will be a surprise if they beat Fermanagh in Enniskillen Unbeaten there in the league for about 3 years?

Itchy

Regarding next Saturday, it will very much also depend on where we are with injured players. Madden who is our main scoring threat these days went off injured as did Conor Smith. Niall Murray (who is one of the best players we have left) didnt feature at all nor did his brother Stephen - both would be in our 1st team 15. If we start next Saturday without those 4 players then Westmeath have a great chance of a win. With those 4 players I would expect a reaction and a narrow win.

Rossfan

Quote from: AFM on January 27, 2020, 03:39:08 PM
Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

Armagh have struggled with Laois in the past can't see this being any different, Cavan couldn't improve that much in a week to get anything against Westmeath.  Clare - Kildare could be a close one but I would say Roscommon will take Fermanagh easily enough.
Not on yesterday's disjointed insipid showing :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Look-Up!

Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

Division 2 can be very unpredictable with performances often varying drastically from week to week. You often see a big change in form especially after the break of the first three games. I certainly hope this to be the case this year.

Solo_run

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 27, 2020, 10:09:13 PM
Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

Division 2 can be very unpredictable with performances often varying drastically from week to week. You often see a big change in form especially after the break of the first three games. I certainly hope this to be the case this year.

I don't think that will be the case this year. Counties will have to be consistent from the first game as maintaining D2 status as a priority in order to play in this years All Ireland. The second objective would be to gain D1 status as this guarantees All Ireland football for 2 seasons...If my understanding of the new structure is correct.

Itchy

Quote from: Solo_run on January 28, 2020, 11:14:17 AM
Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

I don't think that will be the case this year. Counties will have to be consistent from the first game as maintaining D2 status as a priority in order to play in this years All Ireland. The second objective would be to gain D1 status as this guarantees All Ireland football for 2 seasons...If my understanding of the new structure is correct.

Exactly, any team making a bad start is in big trouble. Listened to the wearecavan podcast yesterday and it appears the 4 guys I mentioned earlier have muscle injuries which makes them very doubtful for a game 7 days later. If Cavan were to lose to Westmeath we would be in big trouble.

Look-Up!

Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

You are correct on the structures. I don't know how much this will change how teams approach their training regimes though. Often teams are fatigued for the first few games from heavy workload. 

Solo_run

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2020, 11:47:17 AM
Ding ding round 2.

Saturday

Sunday

You are correct on the structures. I don't know how much this will change how teams approach their training regimes though. Often teams are fatigued for the first few games from heavy workload.

Teams would have had to adjust their training schedules accordingly. It may be possible that teams It would be unwise not to as there is a huge risk if it doesn't pay off i.e. no All Ireland championship. I wouldn't rely on reaching the provincial finals either, especially Armagh who have Derry and then a potential meeting with Donegal or Tyrone.

Armagh - Derry then Donegal/Tyrone
Cavan - Monaghan, Antrim then Fermanagh/Down
Kildare - Carlow/Offaly then Meath/Wexford/Wicklow
Clare - Tipperary then Limerick/Waterford
Fermanagh - Down then Cavan/Monaghan/Antrim
Westmeath - Dublin
Laois - Louth/Longford then Dublin/Westmeath

The only team that I think who would have a chance of making a final should they be relegated would be Clare.

On a side note, I am glad the GAA is back as it makes work a little more bearable.

Rossfan

Ros are in D2 as well ;)
We have London and then Mayowestros so relegation would more than likely mean the B/2 Championship.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Solo_run

Quote from: Rossfan on January 28, 2020, 12:56:00 PM
Ros are in D2 as well ;)
We have London and then Mayowestros so relegation would mire than likely Jean the B/2 Championship.

Just forgot to type it in - I believe they have London and then a possible Semi Final with Mayo or Leitrim?

Look-Up!

For teams in the 8-20 ranking bracket championship is more often than not a damp squib once you lose first game.
Personally if Cavan are in Division 3 and lose to Monaghan I wouldn't be too despondent about facing into B championship. I'd actually see the benefits long term of possibly getting to a reasonable profile final against a decent opponent instead of just seeing the season peter out with tepid following.
Anyone else the same? 

Solo_run

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2020, 01:46:36 PM
For teams in the 8-20 ranking bracket championship is more often than not a damp squib once you lose first game.
Personally if Cavan are in Division 3 and lose to Monaghan I wouldn't be too despondent about facing into B championship. I'd actually see the benefits long term of possibly getting to a reasonable profile final against a decent opponent instead of just seeing the season peter out with tepid following.
Anyone else the same?

I fear that the two tiered championship is going to show how significant the differences are. Since the use of the super 8's it has shown how significant differences are between D1 and D2 teams with the odd D3 team thrown in. In my opinion the same thing will happen with a second tier system.

Championship structures within the GAA have always been flawed and they seem to find ways to worsen it.

five points

Quote from: Look-Up! on January 28, 2020, 01:46:36 PM
Anyone else the same?

Cavan treated the Tommy Murphy Cup with utter contempt when it was in vogue. This time around there might be a ripple or two if we happened to stumble into a final but more than likely we'd find it hard to field a team in the first round.

Solo_run

What incentives are there for winning the tier 2 championship?

five points

Quote from: Solo_run on January 28, 2020, 02:26:44 PM
What incentives are there for winning the tier 2 championship?
A bihatimber, I guess?