More Dissident-Republican Activity

Started by sammymaguire, November 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

This is why this part of the world is going no where.

The Mayor of Antrim has expressed his revulsion at the incident.

Adrian Watson said it was a "disgusting attack by mindless thugs who had nothing to offer the community".

"These are young men training in a community centre surrounded by hundreds of homes," he added.

"They have done nothing wrong, bar being members of a GAA club."

This is the view of the supposedly moderate UUP.

Denn Forever

They have done nothing wrong, bar being members of a GAA club."

The meaning I take from this is that the only reason that they were targeted was that they were members of a GAA club.  No good reason.

On another topic, any word on Peader?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

boojangles

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 15, 2010, 11:01:44 AM
They have done nothing wrong, bar being members of a GAA club."

The meaning I take from this is that the only reason that they were targeted was that they were members of a GAA club.  No good reason.

Maybe we'r too naive Denn but thats the meaning I took from it too.

stpauls

Quote from: Denn Forever on January 15, 2010, 11:01:44 AM

haven't heard anything in a day or two Denn, so as the saying goes, no news is good news. i will update the thread when i hear anything more.

NAG1

The inference being that they are doing something inherently wrong by neing members of a GAA club in the first place.

They had done nothing wrong 'BAR' so that infers that it is wrong to be a member of the GAA and sends the message out that it really is ok to be targetting us all.

Im not be being too sensitive because this is the same guy who was offended by school children packing bags in tescos in their Jerseys, which they were asked to remove by a spineless manager.

orangeman

Brolly in the Gaelic Life today has a right go at the dissidents.

stpauls

guys, got this update this afternoon:

'Doctors are quite pleased with Peadar's progress and while he is he is not out of the woods yet, with his biggest danger now being one of infection, hopefully he will continue to improve.'

magickingdom

every day will be better hopefully, hes in my prayers

comeontheredhands

Quote from: orangeman on January 15, 2010, 02:24:04 PM
brilliant article by brolly -one of his finest - well put joe

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: comeontheredhands on January 15, 2010, 10:41:26 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 15, 2010, 02:24:04 PM
brilliant article by brolly -one of his finest - well put joe

Has it been posted or could someone do so?

AFS

Its on the journo write off thread in the GAA section.

Dubh driocht

Every Gael should read Trevor Ringland's letter in today's Irish News.

Maguire01

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 16, 2010, 04:00:01 PM
Every Gael should read Trevor Ringland's letter in today's Irish News.
Yes, was a very good letter. Has anyone got access to copy and paste?

Miss Doubtfire

Peadar is still critical, though they said that he is now not the most urgent case in the hospital, which is good news! He is still heavily sedated though the shock when he comes round of losing his leg and some organs will be hard for him. However, on a more positive note, they were able to build him a hip with part of his thigh. It is amazing what can be done in hospitals, so we will just keep hoping and praying that he makes the best possible recovery.

Trevor Ringland's article was excellent!

Naomh Pol CLG

Great comments from Joe Brolly in todays Belfast Telegraph....Sums up exactly how I fell about these faceless cowards who attacked my countryman.

Monday, 18 January 2010

Top GAA pundit slams dissident bombers

Prominent GAA figure and commentator Joe Brolly has slammed republican terrorists who tried to kill Catholic policeman Peadar Heffron.

In an outspoken newspaper column the ex-Derry football star branded dissident aims to "get rid of British rule" in Northern Ireland as "twaddle".

The All-Ireland winning player paid tribute to Mr Heffron's decision to join the PSNI in its fledgling days as he detailed his reaction to news that Mr Heffron had his right leg amputated at the hip following an under-car booby trap attack that has left him fighting for his life.

Mr Brolly, the son of prominent Sinn Fein politicians Francie and Anne Brolly, also told of the criticism he got for playing against the PSNI in a Gaelic match.

He said Mr Heffron is "building the Ireland we want".

"On the one hand, we have a lad professing Gaelic ideal openly, through the language and games," he wrote in a hard-hitting column for the Irish Mail.

"On the other, we have a man crawling under a car to try to kill him. Who is the better Irishman?"

PC Heffron — who was targeted by dissidents more than two weeks ago amid crucial policing deal talks between Sinn Fein and DUP — was breathing and awake when the paramedics arrived after the bomb exploded close to his Randalstown home. However, the young Creggan man has since remained unconscious in the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, where his wife Fiona and their families maintain a vigil by his bedside.

In a similar attack late last year, republican dissident terrorists placed a booby-trap device under the passenger seat of a car belonging to the girlfriend of a police officer near his home in east Belfast.

The policeman targeted was on a day off and was not in the car when the blast ripped through the front of the car. His partner was slightly injured in the explosion.

Mr Brolly, a barrister, was a key player in the All-Ireland winning Derry team of 1993. He described Mr Heffron's injuries as horrific. "His pelvic area was destroyed," he wrote.

"The flesh and skin from his ruined right leg have been used to help rebuild his mid-section.

"He has been oblivious. He has see-sawed between life and death throughout the week."

Mr Heffron, who got married just six months ago, joined the PSNI soon after its formation, coming in with the second tranche of new recruits.

He soon became the captain of a newly-established PSNI Gaelic football team.

"His family and extended family are Irish to the bone, politically, socially and culturally," said TV pundit Brolly.

"Recently, Peadar addressed a policing board meeting in Derry 'as Gaeilge'. I thought that's what we all wanted, a police force where people could be what they were and freely express themselves without discrimination."

Mr Brolly — who played for St Brigid's (Antrim) against a PSNI team that included Mr Heffron a few years ago — said he hoped the young police officer would make a full recovery and return to work.

"When we played them, he was conspicuous by the ferocity of his play, all heart and soul," Mr Brolly said.

"I spoke to the chairman of the PSNI club and he said he would not be surprised if he (Peadar) becomes the first Gaelic footballer to take to the field with a prosthetic."

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/top-gaa-pundit-slams-dissident-bombers-14639156.html#ixzz0d0fOwYqY