Gaillimh -v- Ros Comáin

Started by MaroonAndWhite, May 12, 2008, 10:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonAndWhite

May as well get the ball rolling on this one.......4pm start to this one next Sunday. Extra couple of hours in the pub pre-match me thinks  :)

What's the feeling on this one amongst the Rossies? Ye will no doubt tear into us but not sure if Ros have the firepower to win this one......I think they will get enough ball into forward line through O'Neill but not sure if the inside forwards have enough to pull out a result. Is Ger Heneghan fit for match? Last I heard he was carrying an injury.

Hows Michael Ryan getting on up there?

Shrewdness

Expect Ros to be all huff and puff, and probably bluff for the first 15-20 mins, and then Galway to pull away and win by the guts of 10 points.

muppet

I hope the ref blows it up early to save the nudists blushes.

Gaillimh by 9.
MWWSI 2017

MaroonAndWhite

Just read Padraig Joyce's column there in The Galway Voice and apparently Killererin's Tom Hughes and Conor Healy of Salthill have been drafted into the panel. Glad to see Tom get a twist at this level.....he's not the most mobile but a reliable midfielder all the same. Time will tell if he's of intercounty standard. Not a clue of what Healy is like to be honest but Sammon is up on his doorstep so he will surely know if he has something to offer. Niall Coyne struggling with injury but Diarmuid Blake is back so not a bad replacement even if he may not be fully match sharp yet. Nicky should get back in to the starting 15 again but Armstrong is definitely out with that fragile hamstring  ::)

We have some nice options with Conroy, Bradshaw, Mark Lydon pushing for the start.....

Ye boys seem to have this one written off already.....we should win but dunno about the predicted gap of 9/10 points.

Ryano

Galway to win, but it will be a tighter gap then 9 points. Mixer Ryan has a lot of experienced heads brought back into the panel that Maughan had fallen out with or dropped. John Whyte and David Casey will steady the ship in defense and I'm sure the players will be fired up after the totals balls the league turned out to be. Major point to prove too after Maughan's reign I'd expect Ros to be in it up to the last 20 minutes or so. But Galway have too much class and experience and this will show through in the end for them.

Rossie11

Its great to have them guys back but its questionable how match fit they are.
Mixer will do his best to lift team morale but giving the hammerings they suffered during the league confidence has to be brittle.
Should Galway settle early then we could be on the end of a drubbing.

There will be no other result other than a Galway victory. Margin depends on how quickly they get on top

magpie seanie

Did I hear someone saying London beat Roscommon in a challenge match last weekend? Maybe they were on the wind up.

GalwayBayBoy

Hard to get too excited for this one. The Rossies were so poor in the league that even their own die-hards have written them off. Surely they will play better this weekend though and will raise some sort of gallop given it's championship but it's difficult to see anything other than a Galway win although I don't think it'll be as handy as some as the Rossies will surely be well up for it.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 12, 2008, 03:18:43 PM
Did I hear someone saying London beat Roscommon in a challenge match last weekend? Maybe they were on the wind up.

Think that was against Ros juniors.

QuoteThere will be no other result other than a Galway victory. Margin depends on how quickly they get on top

That sums it up. No matter who has been brought back there is no way you can put together a team to challenge Galway in 3 weeks. Most of the returning players will not have played county football for a couple of years. If we get a decent first half and take whatverfew chaces we get then we might be within 10 points at  the end - if Galway get off to a flyer then it could be nearer to the Armagh result.

Rossfan

Like Tatler said this game is too much too soon for our returning lads.
All we can hope for is a showing of defiance and pride and go home with colours flying and a bit of hope for the Qualifiers.
Unfortunately Galway by 6 or 8 points  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Pangurban

A no-brainer, Galway will stroll it

Duine Eile

Great to see Tom Hughes get the call up, hope it all goes well for him.Thought himself and Micheal Keane deserved a look after thre club championship so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Also congrats to Padraic on being awarded the captaincy again. Great achievement for both himself and the club.

Very quiet build up to this one. No great buzz about really. Realistically speaking we should win this by a good bit but who knows what will happen, the Rossies aren't coming for the day out I'm sure and will want to give a good account of themselves after their dismal league campaign. Heard Nicky is going to start and also that Damien Burke is carrying an injury and is a bit of a worry at the moment.

On a seperate note I'm seriously thinking about leaving Barney now and setting up camp outside Pearse Stadium to beat the Claregalway traffic on Sunday. Have a feeling it's going to be cat altogether. Which side of would most of the Roscommon crowd be coming from? (Directions aren't my strong point :-\)

An Fhairche Abu

Galways league form the past few years has been good followed by fairly poor championship displays, hopefully that will change this year but honestly I don't know if it will. Losses to Sligo and Westmeath (should have been beaten by Leitrim last year also) are not indicators of a team that has a chance to do well in the later stages of the championship. The players certainly seem to have taken to Sammon's training methods and coaching style, 1st year manager always seems to get a bit more out of players.

Roscommon are a real shambles so far this year; there's bound to be some kick from them for this match but really and truly if Galway have anything about them we should be looking to win by 7 or 8. If Galway scrape through this match expect the championship to follow a similar pattern to the last few years with another early exit.

muppet

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 12, 2008, 11:28:57 PM
Great to see Tom Hughes get the call up, hope it all goes well for him.Thought himself and Micheal Keane deserved a look after thre club championship so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on. Also congrats to Padraic on being awarded the captaincy again. Great achievement for both himself and the club.

Very quiet build up to this one. No great buzz about really. Realistically speaking we should win this by a good bit but who knows what will happen, the Rossies aren't coming for the day out I'm sure and will want to give a good account of themselves after their dismal league campaign. Heard Nicky is going to start and also that Damien Burke is carrying an injury and is a bit of a worry at the moment.

On a seperate note I'm seriously thinking about leaving Barney now and setting up camp outside Pearse Stadium to beat the Claregalway traffic on Sunday. Have a feeling it's going to be cat altogether. Which side of would most of the Roscommon crowd be coming from? (Directions aren't my strong point :-\)

How long have ye been together?  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Duine Eile

Oh dear,cat's out of the bag now, how am I going to explain this to him indoors!  :D Meant Barnaderg muppet, sorry for any confusion caused!