Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on November 24, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
Cant believe there is not more United fans looking Mourinho out.  Seanie was right all along!

There's no need to sound so surprised. It was obvious to anyone who was honest to themselves.

magpie seanie

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 25, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 25, 2018, 09:19:54 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 24, 2018, 08:39:06 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on November 24, 2018, 08:18:04 PM
Cant believe there is not more United fans looking Mourinho out.  Seanie was right all along!

Personally, I've stopped giving a shiny shite.

+1

The modern 'fan'.

It's not a new phenomenon. I remember a lot of the lads that used to slag me back in the 80's and early 90's suddenly didn't follow soccer anymore. They started following it again in April/May 2005 funny enough and they're big time into it again this last year or two.

Boycey

I fall into the don't give a shiny shite category too I think. I can't speak for the other couple that said it but for me I can honestly say for the first time in my life I actually don't care how good or bad things are... Utd are my team from I can remember and always will be, I still rarely miss a match but once it's over it's gone and I'll not spend the next few days/weeks/months venting my spleen or fretting about it all that matters is when is the next match?

What causes this? Maybe it's been anaethesised by 20 odd years of almost unbroken success, or realising that professional footballers are a group of individuals I don't understand anymore, or that I'm sick watching a club I love being pulled apart or maybe I'm just a 'modern' fan.

Bord na Mona man

It hardly helps the mood when everyone knows the manager is a goner but the board are waiting for it to get worse before sacking him.

J70

People grow up and they take on real responsibilities.

At that point, sports is a distraction to be enjoyed. It's only natural that, in that context, you disassociate a bit when your team struggles.

NAG1

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on November 26, 2018, 04:01:22 PM
It hardly helps the mood when everyone knows the manager is a goner but the board are waiting for it to get worse before sacking him.

I think this is the position that most fans have reached too.
Realised the manager is a sititng duck, realised that a good bunch of the players wont be at the club in the long term, so they are waiting to see to the next move really.

Hound

Quote from: J70 on November 26, 2018, 04:01:39 PM

At that point, sports is a distraction to be enjoyed. It's only natural that, in that context, you disassociate a bit when your team struggles.
100%.

It's entertainment.

Lap it up when your team wins a big game, and even more if they win a trophy. And jump on that bandwagon when your team is on a good streak. But life's far too short for getting depressed when your team of millionaires only draws 0-0 with Crystal Palace on a miserable weekend in November. Though no harm giving out about a manager or player, that's part of the fun/entertainment too!

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Hound on November 26, 2018, 04:29:50 PM

100%.

It's entertainment.

Lap it up when your team wins a big game, and even more if they win a trophy. And jump on that bandwagon when your team is on a good streak. But life's far too short for getting depressed when your team of millionaires only draws 0-0 with Crystal Palace on a miserable weekend in November. Though no harm giving out about a manager or player, that's part of the fun/entertainment too!

Is supporting a sports team meant to be entertainment like say the likes of a concert or a movie is?  supporters from Ireland that go over to games meet up with friends have a few drinks and make it entertaining weekend however when they attend games I'm sure most support the team by clapping,singing or whatever than sitting quietly and waiting to be entertained.

J70

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 26, 2018, 05:12:12 PM

100%.

It's entertainment.

Is supporting a sports team meant to be entertainment like say the likes of a concert or a movie is?  supporters from Ireland that go over to games meet up with friends have a few drinks and make it entertaining weekend however when they attend games I'm sure most support the team by clapping,singing or whatever than sitting quietly and waiting to be entertained.

What percentage of Irish supporters go over regularly? How many go to see shit, less fashionable or successful clubs?

You could even point to inter county senior Gaelic football and how band wagons build up when a county gets on a run.

Most of us, once we grow up, are mature enough to enjoy the good times for whatever teams we follow and to let the disappointments wash off quickly in the face of life's real challenges. And if the team turns to shit, then many back away. As Hound says, life is too short and there are too many other important things to worry or be depressed about other than a sports team.

Living in NY, I like the Knicks and try to get to the Garden now and again to see them. Fucked, however, if I'm going to fork out $300 for a pair of half-decent seats for myself and herself when the team is as perpetually brutal as it's been for the past five years. I've plenty of alternatives to spend my hard-earned cash on.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: J70 on November 26, 2018, 05:57:32 PM

At that point, sports is a distraction to be enjoyed. It’s only natural that, in that context, you disassociate a bit when your team struggles.
100%.

It's entertainment.

What percentage of Irish supporters go over regularly? How many go to see shit, less fashionable or successful clubs?

You could even point to inter county senior Gaelic football and how band wagons build up when a county gets on a run.

Most of us, once we grow up, are mature enough to enjoy the good times for whatever teams we follow and to let the disappointments wash off quickly in the face of life’s real challenges. And if the team turns to shit, then many back away. As Hound says, life is too short and there are too many other important things to worry or be depressed about other than a sports team.

Living in NY, I like the Knicks and try to get to the Garden now and again to see them. Fucked, however, if I’m going to fork out $300 for a pair of half-decent seats for myself and herself when the team is as perpetually brutal as it’s been for the past five years. I’ve plenty of alternatives to spend my hard-earned cash on.

I have a few friends that are part of Leeds and Notts Forest supporter clubs in Ireland and they go over to matches about 5 times a year. All are married men with busy lives and i don't think they are going over to be entertained by the team they support as they make their own entertainment and from what i see they aren't too depressed about their teams losing either more looking forward to their next trip over. Its very much a past time or hobby of their lives.

With those prices for a Knicks game i can't blame you for staying away.

Ball Hopper

Sports = Soap Operas for men.

BennyCake

For me, partly it's due to finding absolutely no connection to players, or probably even football in general.

The PL is just saturated by players from everywhere. Players on mental wages, have no connection to the real world or the team/city/club they play for. Most PL teams have players I can't even pronounce, never mind recognise. There aren't enough players from the uk and Ireland getting a chance. It's weird supporting a team consisting of players from all over the world apart from the home country or even city, of the club.

I used to love watching the likes of Keane Scholes Hughes Cantona Beckham Sheringham Bruce etc players with something a bit different. There's very few players I enjoy watching at United. It wouldn't bother me if they were all sold in the morning. I have very little affiliation to them or the team.

Farrandeelin

Fortunately or unfortunately - which ever way you look at It, I'm spending money elsewhere than Sky sports. That's one of the reasons why I'm 'out of touch' with Utd. I only have RTE sports that show the champions league. And I missed the Valencia game on that due to the wife watching the Bake off, hence further disassociation with the team.

Still get as frustrated as fcuk though when a 0-0 draw is all that they can muster against Crystal Palace however.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

100%.

It's entertainment.

Of course, part of the whole entertainment of attending soccer games is the clapping and singing, etc. Being part of the atmosphere.

magpie seanie

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/manchester-united/360/blog/post/3709562/watching-manchester-united-home-games-is-boring-no-wonder-fans-stay-away

The most sad thing is this was all forseeable. Hopefully get a result tonight to stay alive in the CL and get a new manager before the competition restarts in the nex year.