Walsh Cup 2020

Started by burdizzo, November 08, 2019, 11:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

Ah, right. So 'twas Mark Hennessy caught the eye in the forwards when he came on.
I believe John Lennon will be out for a while as well, as he needs to get something done about his injured knee.

Mad Mentor

It's like Groundhog Day here in Laois sometimes. I took a quick look back at the Walsh Cup 2019 discussions and it wasn't very encouraging either. It was a poor display from Laois on Sunday, but it's only January. A lot of new faces, and the team played like lads who had only just met, which effectively they have. The best men on show were the established lads, Willie Dunphy, Ryan Mullanney et al, but it was valuable game time for the new arrivals. Westmeath looked a more established and confident team but when you look at who we have to come in to the team we would blow them away. Who could have guessed this time last year how the year would pan out? We have to put our faith in Eddie that he can get these lads where they need to be when it matters. The spirit he fostered in the squad was what changed things last year. The lads didn't suddenly get hugely more skilful, but they believed in themselves.
It was good to get back watching live hurling again even if the match itself was disappointing and there was a decent crowd. The new pitch in Borris was in very good condition and a credit to them, but how two intercounty teams togged out in those dressing rooms is a mystery. I presume this will be the next thing on their development list. Best of luck to the lads on Thursday night.

redsetanta

I see where Eddie was saying he will be fielding a strong enough team against Dublin tomorrow evening. Should see many of the regular starters back. I woinder how Dublin will line up, will they have anything resembling their first 15?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

on the hop

A few regulars back for the Dublin game

burdizzo

Don't know how much the named team will correspond to who actually lines out, but still... Thought Allan Connolly could have warranted another run.

G@@

Best of luck to the lads.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Tobias

It is a bit like groundhog day but im sorry im going to have a whinge. After the unbelievably heart throbbing and unexpectedly exciting 2019, I cant help but feel extremely disappointed with the unavailability of so many players. I was sure all last years panel would be back with the addition of maybe 10 lads that also should have been there.
2019 was massive for Laois hurling, I never though I would witness such a day as we had against Dublin in the town. If you told me this time last year that we would be taking on Tipp in an all Ireland quarter final in Croke park, I would have said your off your rocker. If you told me that we would give them a serious rattle too with 14 men for half the game I would be sending you to a psychologist too. I was never as proud as I was for those three weeks. People in South Laois had a real spring in their step, a smile on their face and hope in their hearts.
You ask me why im so downbeat now? Well here it is
Cha Dwyer
Joe Campion
Picky Maher
Ciaran Collier
Leigh Bergin
Cahir Healy
Gearoid Burke
Ben Conroy
Dwayne Palmer
PJ Scully
Sean Downey
Cian Taylor
Eoin Fleming
Mark Dowling
Tricky Joe
Robbie Phelan
Stephen Phelan
There are injuries too but they can be excused. For the rest I guess its a life choice but I believe its one these lads will regret in time.
I believe 5 from the above list would start in the championship and at least 5 more would play a part. I dont want to be too critical but I was at the game in Borris last Sunday, i would say three or four of our starting team did not feel the weight of the ball once in the game, these lads are young and will improve but I would be fearful going into such a hard hitting Leinster championship. We have other lads to come in and we wont be too bad but with the list above available I think we would really take a bit of beating. Pity

clonadmad

Quote from: Tobias on January 09, 2020, 06:07:08 PM
It is a bit like groundhog day but im sorry im going to have a whinge. After the unbelievably heart throbbing and unexpectedly exciting 2019, I cant help but feel extremely disappointed with the unavailability of so many players. I was sure all last years panel would be back with the addition of maybe 10 lads that also should have been there.
2019 was massive for Laois hurling, I never though I would witness such a day as we had against Dublin in the town. If you told me this time last year that we would be taking on Tipp in an all Ireland quarter final in Croke park, I would have said your off your rocker. If you told me that we would give them a serious rattle too with 14 men for half the game I would be sending you to a psychologist too. I was never as proud as I was for those three weeks. People in South Laois had a real spring in their step, a smile on their face and hope in their hearts.
Cha Dwyer
Joe Campion
Picky Maher
Ciaran Collier
Leigh Bergin
Cahir Healy
Gearoid Burke
Ben Conroy
Dwayne Palmer
PJ Scully
Sean Downey
Cian Taylor
Eoin Fleming
Mark Dowling
Tricky Joe
Robbie Phelan
Stephen Phelan
There are injuries too but they can be excused. For the rest I guess its a life choice but I believe its one these lads will regret in time.
I believe 5 from the above list would start in the championship and at least 5 more would play a part. I dont want to be too critical but I was at the game in Borris last Sunday, i would say three or four of our starting team did not feel the weight of the ball once in the game, these lads are young and will improve but I would be fearful going into such a hard hitting Leinster championship. We have other lads to come in and we wont be too bad but with the list above available I think we would really take a bit of beating. Pity

In previous years,you'd be hearing

No point in committing

The Set up is shite

The management is shite

We are going nowhere,not worth my time

Etc

Etc

Etc

We were a top 6 team in 2019

We gave Tipp more of a rattle with 14 men than what Kilkenny did

And yet the above named crew won't commit,everything is in place to build on last year but it won't happen.

We are facing the mother and father of all battles this year even to stay competitive with everyone on board and lads have turned their backs on the county.

There's no other Liam McCarthy county where you'd have lads refusing to play.

At least next year with Brennan gone and we gone back to disarray and momentum lost,ye can get back to moaning and bitching again

We had our chance,we blew it

vetoldthe

Quote from: clonadmad on January 09, 2020, 06:21:11 PM
Quote from: Tobias on January 09, 2020, 06:07:08 PM
Cha Dwyer
Joe Campion
Picky Maher
Ciaran Collier
Leigh Bergin
Cahir Healy
Gearoid Burke
Ben Conroy
Dwayne Palmer
PJ Scully
Sean Downey
Cian Taylor
Eoin Fleming
Mark Dowling
Tricky Joe
Robbie Phelan
Stephen Phelan

In previous years,you'd be hearing

No point in committing

The Set up is shite

The management is shite

We are going nowhere,not worth my time

Etc

Etc

Etc

We were a top 6 team in 2019

We gave Tipp more of a rattle with 14 men than what Kilkenny did

And yet the above named crew won't commit,everything is in place to build on last year but it won't happen.

We are facing the mother and father of all battles this year even to stay competitive with everyone on board and lads have turned their backs on the county.

There's no other Liam McCarthy county where you'd have lads refusing to play.

At least next year with Brennan gone and we gone back to disarray and momentum lost,ye can get back to moaning and bitching again

We had our chance,we blew it
I                                 I HOPE YOUR ARE WRONG, BUT I'M GUESSING YOU WILL BE RIGHT, THAT LAOIS ALL OVER                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

bluespower

That is just shocking that many players not committing i am sure a few have genuine reasons for not participating but that many,? Eddie Brennan must be thinking to himself Thank God this is my last season with Laois.

This kind of attitude and thinking in uniquely a Laois thing for sure its like subsconsiously these absent players are afraid of success they feel more comfortable with failure and been second best after the success of last season this year may just be a step even closer to success than they would have liked

I see where all Laois camogie teams have pulled out of their championship also for lack of interest and availability of players, so, this is not just confined to male thinking either.

There is a saying go big or go home and with our shit thinking it looks like our teams will always be going to f**k home with our tail between our legs.

G@@

Dublin 1-28 v 0-17 Laois. We were 5pts off them with nine minutes to go. It seems when they got the goal they were able to pile it on. Pity.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

on the hop

Tough night tonight, Dublin we're far fitter and slicker and missed very little. The few starting changes gave us a very light and young looking team. We are all over place at times in the first half and seemed to be playing mullaney as the spare man. It wasn't one of Ryan's best nights as he was the cause of a few scores. Dublin went down the sides and stretched us constantly. We hit a lot of poor ball down to their spare man throughout the game and it put the backs under pressure with it coming back. We stayed in touch somewhat with Ross nabbing a few scores. A few changes at half time especially Dublin taking off thankfully eamon Dillon who caused us no end of problems and we settled. Jack Kelly went back to the full back line and Podge Delaney made a huge difference. Purcell stayed full forward and despite not doing much it allowed Ross out the field where he ran himself into the ground. Got it back close before they got the goal and then we collapsed to a succession of points.

It might be unfair to say the team is unfit but they certainly have a good bit to do before the league. Flanagan man marked their big man hetherton and had a tough night. He battled well but needs a bit more hurling but I can see him starting as he has the size. Jack Kelly was plugging holes everywhere and Delaney made a big difference. Was not a night for our forwards bar Ross and we were out muscled a lot. We certainly are going to feel the loss of mark kavanagh