The Toughest Trade

Started by Under Lights, February 17, 2015, 01:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: haranguerer on March 02, 2017, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 02, 2017, 02:37:37 AM
Good show. Its already up on youtube for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1T1gCEBVpY

Did they purposely pick a week in January to get that weather in Donegal? ;D

Both of them appeared to do pretty well, although they did understandably grant Williams a lot of latitude! Former Donegal county player Ciaran Bonner stole the ball off him nicely in one of the training segments.

You don't think murphy was granted a bit too??  ;D

I'm sure he was. I'm about as far from an informed follower of rugby as you could get though!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: haranguerer on March 02, 2017, 02:28:50 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2017, 10:45:19 PM
Quote from: trileacman on March 01, 2017, 10:40:41 PM
The strangest thing about that or most interesting in my eyes is how Williams struggled with the pick up. I mean probably none of us consider it a skill and yet they obviously just had to let him pluck it off the ground or else he wouldn't have got possession at all hardly.

People used to always say we should get rid of it because it's not a skill, kind of looked like it was tonight.

What does it add to the game? The pick up I mean??

It has the effect of meaning there can only be one person in position to pick the ball up. So stops mauls where 5 men are around the ball attempting to pick up with outstretched hands. Of course, didn't stop the gaa trying to do away with it before realising their error, and it seems people are forgetting about the mess that created already

No mauling in ladies football (unfortunately  ;) ) You need to be on your feet to lift the ball, which would stop that mauling surely?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

haranguerer

Mauling perhaps a bad choice of word esp given the rugby angle to the thread.

Can't commentate on the ladies game, but without it can't identify who is in primary position for the ball. Even on feet, still 4 or 5 people can be in the same position to take possession. It was an absolute mess when trialled, with throw ups galore.

Hardy

Quote from: haranguerer on March 02, 2017, 02:59:14 PM

Can't commentate on the ladies game, but without it can't identify who is in primary position for the ball. Even on feet, still 4 or 5 people can be in the same position to take possession. It was an absolute mess when trialled, with throw ups galore.

- like what happens when I watch Tyrone.

rrhf

Quote from: Hardy on March 02, 2017, 03:16:43 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 02, 2017, 02:59:14 PM

- like what happens when I watch Tyrone.
I struggle with the sight of blood as well. 1996 was tough on us all.

redzone

JoG2

Quote from: redzone on March 02, 2017, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 02, 2017, 05:12:36 PM
http://www.the42.ie/michael-murphy-shane-williams-toughest-trade-3267539-Mar2017/

For anyone who hasn't been in garvaghy there's striking resemblance to the setup at Clermont

Some setup @ Clermont!

I agree with Bord na Mona, had a wee chuckle at the Donegal man in the Subaru!

Very enjoyable show

lurganblue

Surely Murphy has done a little bit of Rugby before?  His passing was decent and there wasnt one clip of him being shown how to do that.  Now i'll admit i know nothing about Rugby but surely to spin the ball like that while passing it takes a little practice?

BluestackBoy

Quote from: lurganblue on March 03, 2017, 10:19:22 AM
Surely Murphy has done a little bit of Rugby before?  His passing was decent and there wasnt one clip of him being shown how to do that.  Now i'll admit i know nothing about Rugby but surely to spin the ball like that while passing it takes a little practice?

Nah, just natural God given talent.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

haranguerer

Thought that too - then also thought if you were told you were doing it you'd put some practice in, so maybe that explains it

The Subbie

Quote from: lurganblue on March 03, 2017, 10:19:22 AM

Wasn't there a clip showing the skills coach showing him how to pass and then running him up &down the field passing & trying to hit dummies with the ball?

haranguerer

There's skill in being able to even throw the ball properly, i.e. long before he got to that stage.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: haranguerer on March 03, 2017, 11:50:42 AM
There's skill in being able to even throw the ball properly, i.e. long before he got to that stage.
Throwing balls round the sports shop?

Syferus

Murphy hasn't really been dominating games for a while now. Maybe it's a bit harsh to say he's living on reputation but I've seen him well policed more times than not recently.