Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyronerebel

so folks whats the predictions for this weekend?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: tyronerebel on July 16, 2020, 01:01:29 PM
so folks whats the predictions for this weekend?

At least 4 or 5 different grounds full and various photos doing the round.

skeog

Cardboard photos be a good money spinner.

inowbest

Killyclogher St. Mary's   v   Pomeroy Plunketts   
Ardboe O'Donovan Rossa   v   An Charraig Mhor
Dungannon Clarke's           v   Loughmacrory St. Teresa's
Errigal Ciaran                   v   Moy Tir na nOg
Donaghmore St. Patrick's   v      Galbally Pearses
Dromore St. Dympna's   v   Omagh St. Enda's
Clonoe O'Rahilly's           v   Trillick St. Macartan's
Derrylaughan Kevin Barry's   v   Coalisland Fianna
Moortown St. Malachy's   v   Stewartstown Harps
Edendork St. Malachy's   v   Tattyreagh St. Patrick's
Rock St Patrick's                v   Naomh Eoghan
Owen Roes O'Neill's           v   Greencastle St. Patrick's
Strabane Sigersons           v   Beragh Red Knights
Eglish St. Patrick's           v   Aghaloo O'Neill's
Aghyaran St. Davog's        v   Clogher Eire Og
Gortin St. Patrick's           v   Augher St. Macartan's
Brocagh Emmetts           v   Cookstown Fr. Rock's
Coalisland Fianna III           v   Drumquin Wolfe Tones
Urney St. Columba's           v   Clann na nGael
Drumragh Sarsfields           v   Kildress Wolfe Tones
Killeeshil St. Mary's           v   Derrytresk Fir an Chnoic
Fintona Pearses                   v   Killyman St. Mary's
Eskra Emmetts                   v   Brackaville Owen Roes

Taylor

Have any players come out of retirement given it is a short season?

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Taylor on July 17, 2020, 11:32:51 AM
McCarron is back with Dromore.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on July 17, 2020, 12:03:29 PM
Mugsy is back with Cookstown

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 17, 2020, 12:10:23 PM

Couldn't be good for the spirit of adult teams when these lads sign up again.

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on July 17, 2020, 12:15:28 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 17, 2020, 12:10:23 PM

Couldn't be good for the spirit of adult teams when these lads sign up again.

Couldnt agree more - if players werent there pre Covid I would be pissed if I was a young player due to sit on the sideline

I can see if a club were struggling with numbers

GetOverTheBar

Why not? Mulligan in D3? For free taking alone he's worth his weight in gold.

McCarron is slightly different obviously....I don't know what they will make of that.

bogball88

marty34

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 17, 2020, 12:35:26 PM

McCarron is slightly different obviously....I don't know what they will make of that.

But you're thinking the short term gain thing - might be ok for 6 weeks but will not be back next year probably.

Now the younger lad who has been training all along sees the -experienced' lad coming back for the short season and he is dumped from the panel or thinks, sod this, I'll not be back next year.

Managers, but especially the committee need to think in the longer term.

Who will benefit the club the most?

Like yourself, too many people people want the short term fix.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: marty34 on July 17, 2020, 02:35:32 PM

But you're thinking the short term gain thing - might be ok for 6 weeks but will not be back next year probably.

Now the younger lad who has been training all along sees the -experienced' lad coming back for the short season and he is dumped from the panel or thinks, sod this, I'll not be back next year.

I'm not a Cookstown man so I'm speaking out of school so to speak. But if I was, I'd be saying to myself our young ones must not be that great well if we are sitting here in Junior Football. Cookstown in Junior Football. Unbelieveable. This is a club that has won All Irelands at Club Level not a million years ago.

So if some young lad who wasn't good enough to help them last year...and the year before that....takes the hump about not getting a game now. Let him run on. No club is ever going to go anywhere without men ready to take on the challenge head on. There is lads on Coalisland/Clonoe/Trillick/Errigal etc bench that would start for well over 75% of the clubs in the whole of Tyrone, do they take the hump?

Who is to say Mulligan even starts for them? But you don't turn down someone with that experience, if I was a Cookstown youngster I'd be stuck to the side of Mulligan at training, especially with the inside mark and his ability to win ball. He's not a rival, he's a team mate.

Ethan Tremblay

Great points raised here on the thread.  My own club has an influx of players coming back due to the times that they are, and personally I think its a good thing. 

Personally, I feel any player that has played and represented their club growing up as children and adults should never be turned away on the basis they are only back short term. 

As pointed out above, he would be a great asset in training if nothing else.  If a young forward can learn a thing or two from him, or a defender can learn how to mark him, Cookstown should be happy that long term it will pay off. 

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Taylor

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on July 17, 2020, 03:31:29 PM
Quote from: marty34 on July 17, 2020, 02:35:32 PM

I'm not a Cookstown man so I'm speaking out of school so to speak. But if I was, I'd be saying to myself our young ones must not be that great well if we are sitting here in Junior Football. Cookstown in Junior Football. Unbelieveable. This is a club that has won All Irelands at Club Level not a million years ago.

So if some young lad who wasn't good enough to help them last year...and the year before that....takes the hump about not getting a game now. Let him run on. No club is ever going to go anywhere without men ready to take on the challenge head on. There is lads on Coalisland/Clonoe/Trillick/Errigal etc bench that would start for well over 75% of the clubs in the whole of Tyrone, do they take the hump?

Who is to say Mulligan even starts for them? But you don't turn down someone with that experience, if I was a Cookstown youngster I'd be stuck to the side of Mulligan at training, especially with the inside mark and his ability to win ball. He's not a rival, he's a team mate.

Not blaming Mugsy here but surely the point is they are in that division because that is their current level.

If Mugsy shot the lights out and they go up how will they stay up when the players that have already been deemed not good enough in that division havent been given any game time to improve? Or as someone said they have left the team.

Just looking at the overall picture and not specifically Cookstown but they are a good example to use