Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodger Mona

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 05, 2019, 12:15:44 PM
Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 11:52:01 AM
and what about the other lads i named? not better than what u have in.

only 2 out of your 6 forwards has won a cship

Youve no creggan men also,  whatever your problem is with the kickhams. Cranfield will be fuming

You're very sensitive. Should I change my team to be exactly the same as what you pick?

What Creggan players would be in it? Lots of very good players - but maybe not just quite stand out enough.

Winning club c'ships has nothing to do with anything when picking a successful county team. It takes more than one player.

I will admit I forgot a few half forwards though but wouldn't pick the same line as you might.

Fair enough ITG, didnt mean to take it out on you, sorry. But your team selection in the forward line was brutal.

As for Creggan player, Ricky Johnston has been county full back as ten years. And from memory has marked the likes of Murphy and McManus very well. So theres one. You'll have to go back 50 years ago to get another at that level

And as for c'ships. Theres a wee thing called a "winning mentality" that any decent team should have. If you dont have a nucleus of cship winning players in your county squad then you dont have that within your squad. How would you expect the likes of C.Small, Pat Brannigan, E.Fyffe and players from clubs that arent even competitive at their club level to compete against other counties in and around their divisions, the likes of derry who have players from coleraine, mfelt, s'neil, b'derry who have all won c'ships in recent years

Rodger Mona

Bannside any word of this team til i get a look at it....

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 01:26:21 PM

Youve no creggan men also,  whatever your problem is with the kickhams. Cranfield will be fuming

You're very sensitive. Should I change my team to be exactly the same as what you pick?

What Creggan players would be in it? Lots of very good players - but maybe not just quite stand out enough.

Winning club c'ships has nothing to do with anything when picking a successful county team. It takes more than one player.

I will admit I forgot a few half forwards though but wouldn't pick the same line as you might.

Fair enough ITG, didnt mean to take it out on you, sorry. But your team selection in the forward line was brutal.

As for Creggan player, Ricky Johnston has been county full back as ten years. And from memory has marked the likes of Murphy and McManus very well. So theres one. You'll have to go back 50 years ago to get another at that level

And as for c'ships. Theres a wee thing called a "winning mentality" that any decent team should have. If you dont have a nucleus of cship winning players in your county squad then you dont have that within your squad. How would you expect the likes of C.Small, Pat Brannigan, E.Fyffe and players from clubs that arent even competitive at their club level to compete against other counties in and around their divisions, the likes of derry who have players from coleraine, mfelt, s'neil, b'derry who have all won c'ships in recent years

Yes to be fair Johnston is a good shout.

I don't agree with your point in the last paragraph. A team having a winning mentality and a player having a winning mentality are a different thing altogether. You take hurling for example and Tommy Walsh who is now getting some success at intermediate level. He wasn't successful during the crux of his key playing days - did that mean he didn't have a winning mentality? No it didn't.

You will get more players from winning c'ship teams because they must be better to be in winning championship teams yes but you will get players from many smaller "unsuccessful" clubs in many counties. Walsh is one example but if you dug into it there are many more.

Also you asked if I had something against Creggan and then you put C Small as a guy from a club who's not even competitive at club level...

Cranfield

Id like to make one change to my team your honour. Big Ricky into the full back line and the TS express out (not really his position). Ricky is the best man marker in county bar none. Didn't fully appreciate he's been playing half dozen years. Done the business on the likes of Murphy, Quigley etc it's a yes from me

bannside

It shouldnt matter what club the player is from. Jack O Shea was a goodun and played for a div 3 club in Kerry. Declan Browne in Tipp. Cathal Mc Shane Brian Dooher and Stephen O Neill in Tyrone...all lower division clubs. History book is littered with examples like this so throw that silly argument out the window RM.

bannside

Some of the very best footballers I've seen in Antrim since 2000 wouldnt make my team....which makes this a controversial exercise no matter who you pick.

For example, Kevin Mc Gourty and Sean Kelly. Pure class both of them, but didnt put in enough hard yards in Saffron to justify putting them in at the expense of a Kevin Brady or a Martin Mulholland for example who did it year in year out for 12 years plus!

Then theres CJ who was in one year out the next. Had all the class but Antrim only saw it in glimpses while we were all waiting on him taking a game by the scruff of the neck and winning it on his own aka Stevie O Neill. But that didnt happen.

The Mc Gort I rated the highest of all, and the best club player in Antrim these last 20 years was Ciaran. But he didnt do it in Saffron either, albeit he hurled in Saffron and put in mighty shift as a dual player. Only so much you can commit to I suppose.

The best midfielder I saw wore Loughshore Green and very little Saffron. As John Morrison said, Eddie Quinn was the best in Ulster for a period. So he dosent make my team either.

Enda Mc Larnon probably the best out and out corner back I saw but left the scene in 2002 so we didnt see enough of him either.

One that got away was David Mc Alernon from Aghagallon. Went working overseas but when I coached him he was up there with Mick, Niblock, Loughrey etc as a class act. So we never got to know!

That still leaves plenty to pick from but by God how would you not have loved to see all these boys on the field together.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Rodger Mona on December 05, 2019, 01:26:21 PM

You're full of absolute sh1t.

Rodger Mona

Paddy John whats wrong with you now. Can i no have an opinion and challenge opinions without being labelled"full of shit"

what am i full of shit about and what are looking to challenge me on? your on a discussion board so comments like that are very childish and disrespectful to guys like myself and BS who are genuine antrim men seeking debate and discussion.

Rodger Mona

Quote from: bannside on December 05, 2019, 02:25:39 PM
Some of the very best footballers I've seen in Antrim since 2000 wouldnt make my team....which makes this a controversial exercise no matter who you pick.

For example, Kevin Mc Gourty and Sean Kelly. Pure class both of them, but didnt put in enough hard yards in Saffron to justify putting them in at the expense of a Kevin Brady or a Martin Mulholland for example who did it year in year out for 12 years plus!

Then theres CJ who was in one year out the next. Had all the class but Antrim only saw it in glimpses while we were all waiting on him taking a game by the scruff of the neck and winning it on his own aka Stevie O Neill. But that didnt happen.

The Mc Gort I rated the highest of all, and the best club player in Antrim these last 20 years was Ciaran. But he didnt do it in Saffron either, albeit he hurled in Saffron and put in mighty shift as a dual player. Only so much you can commit to I suppose.

The best midfielder I saw wore Loughshore Green and very little Saffron. As John Morrison said, Eddie Quinn was the best in Ulster for a period. So he dosent make my team either.

Enda Mc Larnon probably the best out and out corner back I saw but left the scene in 2002 so we didnt see enough of him either.

One that got away was David Mc Alernon from Aghagallon. Went working overseas but when I coached him he was up there with Mick, Niblock, Loughrey etc as a class act. So we never got to know!

That still leaves plenty to pick from but by God how would you not have loved to see all these boys on the field together.

Dont think anyone could argue with that. Words of wisdom from a true gael. And i think youv hit the nail on the head, equating talent to commitment in the saffron jersey. If sam maguire was won on talent alone, Antrim would of won one. Though with all other elements/ factors to get to them levels, structures, facilties mindset.....We are lacking in almost all of them

Thanks for your analyses on that BS. Youd put alot of men to sghame in this group whos input is.... "your full of shite"

belfastsaff

here is my stab at it
    1. Sean McGreevey
    2. Ricky Johnston
    3. Tony Convery
    4. Martin Mulholland
    5. James Loughery
    6. Justin Crozier
    7. Tony scullion
    8. Mick McCann
    9. Aidan Galllagher
   10. Tamos McCann
   11. Conor Murray
   12. Kevin Brady
   13. Paddy Hands
   14. Kevin Niblock
   15. Kevin Madden

I would say all of these men have served the county well.

Cranfield

PJ I wouldn't bother biting at that WUM.

After his short series of rants it isn't hard to figure out who he is  ::)

Rodger Mona

what the hell does WUM mean? BS called me that.

Rodger Mona

Cranfield if i hadnt of went off on a rant you wouldnt have noticed you left your clubs best/ most consistent player out. Are you even a creggan man or one of those blow ins

imtommygunn

Quote from: Cranfield on December 05, 2019, 03:05:15 PM
PJ I wouldn't bother biting at that WUM.

After his short series of rants it isn't hard to figure out who he is  ::)

i particularly liked how he called me out for not picking a Creggan player and then proceeded to name a Creggan player as being one of  "players from clubs that arent even competitive at their club level to compete against other counties"  ;D

Rodger Mona

team of the decade, differs from current crop selection. ITG. Do u think small and the players i stated are good enough to compete against other counties??