Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Localexpert

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2018, 02:16:09 PM
Quote from: Localexpert on December 17, 2018, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2018, 08:25:57 AM
Quote from: Localexpert on December 16, 2018, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 15, 2018, 08:34:39 PM
Some of you lads are awfully negative. Let's see how it goes and how he fits in. He looks like an excellent young player and could well make the step up quickly. He looked good in the senior games he did play and will hopefully improve all the time. Plenty of the top young players over the years went straight into county football with little club experience.

I'm sure he'll get exposure to the squad but be managed appropriately. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on. If they don't see him as being ready he can drop down to u20 level come championship as far as I'm aware.

I'm only pointing out how he isn't there on merit.  No question a good maybe even great youth player but that's exactly it just a youth player at this stage with very little senior club championship exposure and he's being called into a top 4 county setup in Ireland.  The amount of players who had already proven themselves from east Tyrone who never got a look in is crazy whereas the leader gave chance after chance to his own club men.  No better example than our own skipper this year compared to an errigal/Tyrone corner back.... difference of night and day when comparing footballing ability .... one played for Tyrone 50+ times the other just a handful of times.  What a waste!

You have to judge a player on whether you feel they can make it at county level as opposed to the number of years they have played club championship football. I'm sure there was players who have did well in the Kerry club championship for years that by your logic should have been called up for Kerry ahead of Clifford. Mickey Harte shouldn't have called up Sean Cavanagh coming out of minor football as their was more experienced players that had played in the senior championship ahead of him. Peter Canavan was another one called in young that had little or no club championship experience at that age. Time will tell whether he is there on merit but he is a very gifted young player and I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential.

This east Tyrone thing is a load of nonsense. McNally did get called into the Tyrone panel and got game time including championship football.  He struggled to make the half back line at the time which included players that had won multiple All Irelands. In the games he did play I don't remember him standing out. Two of the players that were ahead of him came from Carrickmore (Errigals biggest rival) and the Moy an east Tyrone club so your anti errigal agenda doesn't stack up. He has been one of the best half backs over the last ten years in club football and if had stuck at it at county level could well have pushed on to make it. I can't remember if he walked away or was dropped and would be surprised if he wasn't asked back since. If he walked away or didn't want to come back then your point is even more redundant.

It's strange given Harte's so called anti east tyrone bias that there was an Edendork man, 2 Coalisland men, 2 Clonoe men and 2 Moy men that played in last years final.

I didn't claim he was anti anybody.  I feel some are afforded more opportunity than others to find their feet and confidence at that level.  I am lead to believe mackers was offered to go to the trials this year (which is complete nonsense surely his performances in the championship this year are a better indicator of his ability than a stupid trial match) which he rightly declined!

He is also similar age to aidan mcrory so your comment on not making the team because of the number of players ahead of him in the half back line is null and void as he was, is and always will be twice the footballer, man marker, ball carrier, ball kicker whatever barometer you want to use to compare them!

Harte certainly liked McRory more than many other people. I wouldn't have picked him a lot of the times he did get picked but he was someone who always stuck to the task given to him. When McNally was trying to break into the team he was considered more an attacking half back and for one reason or another didn't take the opportunities he got. But the half back line was very strong at that time so his games were limited.

I do think he should have got more game time over the years but I have no idea whether he left the panel of his own accord and whether he declined to come back like this year. If he had any interest in playing for Tyrone I suspect he would have gone to the trial as everyone else did including players from last year who were asked to play. I don't think he is above the trials process.

But the point I was disputing was Harte not picking players because they are east Tyrone or what club they come from as opposed to being critical of McNally who has every right not to play if he doesn't want to.

As far as I know he left after numerous years sitting on the bench (if even on the match panel) without getting a chance and missing out on playing with his club.  I'm not claiming he's above a trial match but what I'm saying is it is ridiculous for a player who's previously impressed enough at trial games years ago to be brought onto the panel.  Said player leaves and continues to be a top club player for years and then leads his club to the senior championship winning player of the year.  Surely you would have seen enough of him without the need for them to attend a stupid trial match. 

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Localexpert on December 17, 2018, 04:37:11 PM
Some of you lads are awfully negative. Let's see how it goes and how he fits in. He looks like an excellent young player and could well make the step up quickly. He looked good in the senior games he did play and will hopefully improve all the time. Plenty of the top young players over the years went straight into county football with little club experience.

I'm sure he'll get exposure to the squad but be managed appropriately. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on. If they don't see him as being ready he can drop down to u20 level come championship as far as I'm aware.

I'm only pointing out how he isn't there on merit.  No question a good maybe even great youth player but that's exactly it just a youth player at this stage with very little senior club championship exposure and he's being called into a top 4 county setup in Ireland.  The amount of players who had already proven themselves from east Tyrone who never got a look in is crazy whereas the leader gave chance after chance to his own club men.  No better example than our own skipper this year compared to an errigal/Tyrone corner back.... difference of night and day when comparing footballing ability .... one played for Tyrone 50+ times the other just a handful of times.  What a waste!

You have to judge a player on whether you feel they can make it at county level as opposed to the number of years they have played club championship football. I'm sure there was players who have did well in the Kerry club championship for years that by your logic should have been called up for Kerry ahead of Clifford. Mickey Harte shouldn't have called up Sean Cavanagh coming out of minor football as their was more experienced players that had played in the senior championship ahead of him. Peter Canavan was another one called in young that had little or no club championship experience at that age. Time will tell whether he is there on merit but he is a very gifted young player and I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential.

This east Tyrone thing is a load of nonsense. McNally did get called into the Tyrone panel and got game time including championship football.  He struggled to make the half back line at the time which included players that had won multiple All Irelands. In the games he did play I don't remember him standing out. Two of the players that were ahead of him came from Carrickmore (Errigals biggest rival) and the Moy an east Tyrone club so your anti errigal agenda doesn't stack up. He has been one of the best half backs over the last ten years in club football and if had stuck at it at county level could well have pushed on to make it. I can't remember if he walked away or was dropped and would be surprised if he wasn't asked back since. If he walked away or didn't want to come back then your point is even more redundant.

It's strange given Harte's so called anti east tyrone bias that there was an Edendork man, 2 Coalisland men, 2 Clonoe men and 2 Moy men that played in last years final.

I didn't claim he was anti anybody.  I feel some are afforded more opportunity than others to find their feet and confidence at that level.  I am lead to believe mackers was offered to go to the trials this year (which is complete nonsense surely his performances in the championship this year are a better indicator of his ability than a stupid trial match) which he rightly declined!

He is also similar age to aidan mcrory so your comment on not making the team because of the number of players ahead of him in the half back line is null and void as he was, is and always will be twice the footballer, man marker, ball carrier, ball kicker whatever barometer you want to use to compare them!

Harte certainly liked McRory more than many other people. I wouldn't have picked him a lot of the times he did get picked but he was someone who always stuck to the task given to him. When McNally was trying to break into the team he was considered more an attacking half back and for one reason or another didn't take the opportunities he got. But the half back line was very strong at that time so his games were limited.

I do think he should have got more game time over the years but I have no idea whether he left the panel of his own accord and whether he declined to come back like this year. If he had any interest in playing for Tyrone I suspect he would have gone to the trial as everyone else did including players from last year who were asked to play. I don't think he is above the trials process.

But the point I was disputing was Harte not picking players because they are east Tyrone or what club they come from as opposed to being critical of McNally who has every right not to play if he doesn't want to.

As far as I know he left after numerous years sitting on the bench (if even on the match panel) without getting a chance and missing out on playing with his club.  I'm not claiming he's above a trial match but what I'm saying is it is ridiculous for a player who's previously impressed enough at trial games years ago to be brought onto the panel.  Said player leaves and continues to be a top club player for years and then leads his club to the senior championship winning player of the year.  Surely you would have seen enough of him without the need for them to attend a stupid trial match.

How many years was he actually there? I'd have guessed 2 or 3 at the most but could be totally wrong. He definitely got game time when there but never nailed down a place. Using trials is questionable (but totally up to the manager) but not sure having to play one or two games in it like everyone else would put someone off joining the squad if they wanted to. There is boys from last years squad being asked to play in it to.

redhandefender

Jesus lads its Christmas give it a rest until January!

Nobody should be yapping about the inclusion of the couple of young lads. Let them at it they are under enough pressure. I don't see a pile of other forwards standing out in the county

Localexpert

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2018, 05:04:11 PM
Quote from: Localexpert on December 17, 2018, 04:37:11 PM

How many years was he actually there? I'd have guessed 2 or 3 at the most but could be totally wrong. He definitely got game time when there but never nailed down a place. Using trials is questionable (but totally up to the manager) but not sure having to play one or two games in it like everyone else would put someone off joining the squad if they wanted to. There is boys from last years squad being asked to play in it to.

off the top of my head im not sure.  again i'm not saying thats what put him off because I don't no but if it was me my previous time would have soured me from returning through a trial process but i was only using him as an example of the obvious favouritism the leader has shown over the years.

Quote from: redhandefender on December 17, 2018, 05:04:57 PM

Nobody should be yapping about the inclusion of the couple of young lads. Let them at it they are under enough pressure. I don't see a pile of other forwards standing out in the county

imagine using a discussion board for discussion .... the horror.  I think my original point that started this discussion about canavan being brought in still stands due to the fact he hasnt stood out because he hasn't played much senior football and if we are all honest if his name was joe bloggs and had grown up playing for brocagh there isnt a hope in hell he'd have been called in.

TwoUpTwoDown

imagine using a discussion board for discussion .... the horror.  I think my original point that started this discussion about canavan being brought in still stands due to the fact he hasnt stood out because he hasn't played much senior football and if we are all honest if his name was joe bloggs and had grown up playing for brocagh there isnt a hope in hell he'd have been called in.
[/quote]

I think it's a non starter saying where Darragh Canavan is from has helped him on making the Tyrone panel. The most supportive argument being that Mickey's own nephw didn't make it on the panel straight out of an All Ireland winning minor team. Mickey has previous here when he thinks he sees something in a player, what age was DD Mulgrew when he came in? Everybody who watched Canavan this year would say he was one of the most explosive/exciting players around the county and I'd imagine his performances in trials would had to have been of similar standard to have been selected.

The year isn't even started and the knives are being sharpened already!!

southtyronegael

harte only pulling canavan in now so he can say he was the one who gave him his first chance. you think harte was gonna do the sensible thing and wait 2 yrs and bring the 20yr old canavan in from u20s? no, god forbid there could be a new mangager in place by then and mickey wouldn't have got his hands on him. and il bet my last dollar that harte will be using this lad as a pawn to negotiate a contract extension in 2 years time or even less.

Club boi

Non comparison, Mackers head and shoulders above the Errigal man who got many opportunities

If memory serves me right, he was trying to break into a team (as an attacking half back) in the years when Tyrone were going ultra defensive and therefore he was never going to shine in Hartes system then. Many a good footballer in the county has been overlooked for various reasons like this

LeoMc

Quote from: redhandefender on December 17, 2018, 05:04:57 PM

As well as Murnaghan at CHB 4 of the 6 Colleges All-star forwards were Tyrone men so maybe we will see a few more come through in the next couple of years.

RedHand88

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 17, 2018, 08:46:07 PM
harte only pulling canavan in now so he can say he was the one who gave him his first chance. you think harte was gonna do the sensible thing and wait 2 yrs and bring the 20yr old canavan in from u20s? no, god forbid there could be a new mangager in place by then and mickey wouldn't have got his hands on him. and il bet my last dollar that harte will be using this lad as a pawn to negotiate a contract extension in 2 years time or even less.

Seek help.

skeog

Wouldnt read to much into college awards.Every man and his dog has an all stars award ceremony.

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 18, 2018, 08:59:35 AM

Seek help.

Unbelievable. You just know that he'd be on complaining if he hadn't called him up. So didn't matter what Mickey did STG was going to have his whine anyway.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: RedHand88 on December 18, 2018, 08:59:35 AM

Seek help.

I love a bit of winding up as much as the next man but this is top, top notch. The effort to actually come up with this scenario. Unreal.

lenny

God forbid the u20 manager would win something and put pressure on harte for his job. This is going to make it very difficult for the u20s and leaves harte more secure in his own job for another few years (here's hoping). I'd say that's more his thinking.

BennyHarp

Quote from: lenny on December 18, 2018, 03:42:15 PM

God forbid the u20 manager would win something and put pressure on harte for his job. This is going to make it very difficult for the u20s and leaves harte more secure in his own job for another few years (here's hoping). I'd say that's more his thinking.

Classic nonsensical Lennyism.  ;D
That was never a square ball!!

lenny

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 18, 2018, 05:25:41 PM
Quote from: lenny on December 18, 2018, 03:42:15 PM

Classic nonsensical Lennyism.  ;D

He's taken 2 good players from the u20s and realistically how much game time will they get with the seniors? Do you think these players are physically ready for senior county football? And at the end of the season the u20 manager will be be blamed for another bad season and harte continues on with no pressure on him.