Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucan

to charlie tully and the bar.I suppose there is room for two imbecilles on every discussion board  and in every club [evenDrumgath] IS the next pub quizz in the george as well?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: weebob on July 26, 2012, 07:04:42 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on July 26, 2012, 06:51:22 PM
People on here very quick to include Nial McParland on the starting team. The fella is untested in championship football and is no better than what we have at present. Rooney is the obvious choice, at least he marks tight and does the simple thing. I believe McParland is going to become another Maginn, overrated. I'd like to see the following line out;
1 B McVeigh
2 C Garvey
3 B McArde
4 A Brannigan
5 D Rooney
6 K McKernan
7 D OHagan
8 A Rogers
9 D Gordan
10 L Doyle
11 M Poland
12 A Carr
13 D OHare
14 B Coulter
15 C Laverty.

I'd have Danny on for OHare or Carr but hearing he is not fit to start.
Danny wouldnt lace ohares boots
Donal is a promising young player and if he produces like Danny has in the next ten years then he will be a good one. But to say he wouldn't lace ohares boots is ludicrous.

Oldhacker

McParland would obviously be something of a gamble, as he has never played championship football, but his league form would suggest that he is worth the risk. McKernan's ability is not in question, but MDG must be in a very small minority of Down supporters who would place him at centre half back after everything we have seen from him over recent months. A spell in a free role at the back, or even as a ball winner at wing half forward, might do wonders for his confidence and equally importantly his concentration.

alba2

Quote from: Oldhacker on July 26, 2012, 09:40:37 PM
McParland would obviously be something of a gamble, as he has never played championship football, but his league form would suggest that he is worth the risk. McKernan's ability is not in question, but MDG must be in a very small minority of Down supporters who would place him at centre half back after everything we have seen from him over recent months. A spell in a free role at the back, or even as a ball winner at wing half forward, might do wonders for his confidence and equally importantly his concentration.

Lads i honestly dont c him bieng a gamble at all - it tipperary we are playing for gods sake not cork or kerry... I think Mckernan has been tried in quite a few positions at this stage without good results in most... he is on a fine thread to stay in team.  O'Hagan is unlucky to lose out on my team selected - but just feel it stime to spice the thing up a bit and let a few different lads in there.  Rooney is a gone at this stage and has failed to deliver since 2010 - he not even playing well for burren at min - move on and let the younger lads in.

GAA-inspired

Quote from: alba2 on July 26, 2012, 05:27:20 PM
My Team for sat:

B Mc veigh
D Mc Cartan
D Gordon
A Brannigan
N Mc Parland
L Doyle
C Garvey
A Rodgers
k King
C Maginn
M Poland
K Mckernan
C Laverty
B Coulter
D OHare

Let Mc Kernan roam back in to CHb and let Doyler float bout the place like he did in the early part of the league.  Three clever footballers in the full forward line should get a good amount of scores with Maginn and Poland pulling the strings in the half forward line.
Any thoughts???

Yeah I have a few thoughts Alba2,

First thought is your probably a teacher as you seem to spend a lot of time posting on this board and obviously having the summer off you must be at a loose end :)

Second thought, you were probably involved in a team management set up of some sort with maybe another gentleman from the same club as yourself, this management team though have probably since been given the high road and thats obviously left you with more time on your hands also to post.  8)

Third thought, you probably never played the game before at any level worth talking about so therefore you wouldnt command the respect of any Senior Mens team. :(

Fourth thought, you seem to have so many expert views, why dont you offer your services to the county board and get involved with development squads or maybe even get involved at your own club  ;).  Although from what I hear that might not be such a great idea  :o

Anyone want to play a game of Guess Who?????

Whitegoodman, we ll not reveal your identity just yet ;-) but you should know this man, he like you, attends most Burren games??? Doesnt stand on the same side as you though ;-) cant give anymore away wouldnt be fair!  :-X

First man back with an answer gets a special well done sticker from Principal Frank  ;D

charlieTully

Quote from: lucan on July 26, 2012, 07:55:22 PM
to charlie tully and the bar.I suppose there is room for two imbecilles on every discussion board  and in every club [evenDrumgath] IS the next pub quizz in the george as well?

chill dude  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3wXqyRQZnA&feature=related

charlieTully

Quote from: GAA-inspired on July 26, 2012, 11:20:27 PM
Quote from: alba2 on July 26, 2012, 05:27:20 PM
My Team for sat:

B Mc veigh
D Mc Cartan
D Gordon
A Brannigan
N Mc Parland
L Doyle
C Garvey
A Rodgers
k King
C Maginn
M Poland
K Mckernan
C Laverty
B Coulter
D OHare

Let Mc Kernan roam back in to CHb and let Doyler float bout the place like he did in the early part of the league.  Three clever footballers in the full forward line should get a good amount of scores with Maginn and Poland pulling the strings in the half forward line.
Any thoughts???

Yeah I have a few thoughts Alba2,

First thought is your probably a teacher as you seem to spend a lot of time posting on this board and obviously having the summer off you must be at a loose end :)

Second thought, you were probably involved in a team management set up of some sort with maybe another gentleman from the same club as yourself, this management team though have probably since been given the high road and thats obviously left you with more time on your hands also to post.  8)

Third thought, you probably never played the game before at any level worth talking about so therefore you wouldnt command the respect of any Senior Mens team. :(

Fourth thought, you seem to have so many expert views, why dont you offer your services to the county board and get involved with development squads or maybe even get involved at your own club  ;).  Although from what I hear that might not be such a great idea  :o

Anyone want to play a game of Guess Who?????

Whitegoodman, we ll not reveal your identity just yet ;-) but you should know this man, he like you, attends most Burren games??? Doesnt stand on the same side as you though ;-) cant give anymore away wouldnt be fair!  :-X

First man back with an answer gets a special well done sticker from Principal Frank  ;D

if you ever feel this bad again just dial 999,

PAULD123

I think playing McParland would be acceptable because it is Tipperaray. McParland played very well in the league against Divsion 1 sides so it is fair to get his championship debut against Tipp. But I do agree that Rooney woudl be a safer option and one that would make sense now because we intend to win and need a defensive improvement for the next game. A half back line of Garvey-Rooney-Doyle, or Garvey-Turley-Rooney would offer at least a defensive line in the defensive position. Brannigan and McKernan are far to neglectful of their defensive duties. Currently I see McCardle, Gordon, O'Hagan, McCartan, Rooney and Garvey as our only players who could be genuinely expected to defend properly. 

One other thing, I get frustrated when people try to say that your opinion can only be vaildated by the level you played the game to. Playing is a matter of skill and fitness but understanding the sport is a matter of intelligence. Just because you never pulled on a county jersey does not mean you are incapable of understanding the game. The argument has absolutely no substance and just demonstrates a complete lack of intelligent debate by the proposer. A validation is not a just validation just because you declare it to be, it does actually have to have some basis to back it up.

Dubh driocht

It will be hard to lift the lads as I think they emptied the tank for the Ulster final and did a fine job up until they doubted the gameplan and let Donegal run amoke. Think we are not that far behind them although Cork, for me, are still the team to beat. Mayo caught them cold last year and I don't see it happening again this year.However, a win on Saturday gets us to Croke for the 8th time under James which is a remarkable return in 3 years and credit to himself, Jerome and Aidan O'Rourke. While I don't always agree with their selections and an amateur game is always open to bias allegations, they are the three best men for the job at present, so a win on Saturday is vital to leave a positive view of an exciting year.
My team would be
Mc Veigh
Mc Ardle
Big Dan
Wee Dan
Rooney
Doyle
Garvey
Ambrose
King
Danny
Poland
Carr
O'Hare
Coulter
Laverty
If Danny,King or Benny aren't fit I would include the three Macs -Mc Kernan(and tell him to forget twitter but remember to play his natural intuitive game as he is still a gem),Mc Conville(a leader in waiting) and Mc Partland (he's ready)

thebar

Whatever the Down team is tomorrow good luck lads, pull all in together give it a lash and hopefully you will have enough to get over the line

Mourne Rover

There is talk that defensive changes are indeed on the way, and Kevin McKernan and Dan McCartan may be officially named on the bench. However, James does appear to favour late switches and there is no guarantee that the team which should be named tonight will actually start tomorrow.

Update - the follow side has just been posted on downgaa.net.

1 Brendan McVeigh
An Ríocht
Darren O'Hagan
Cluain Daimh
Dan Gordon
Loch an Oileáin
Conor Garvey
Droicheád Mhaigh Eo
Aiden Branagan
Cill Chua
Brendan McArdle
Eanach Chluain
Aidan Carr
Cluain Daimh
Ambrose Rogers
Cloch Fhada
Kalum King
Áth Bhriain
Kevin Duffin
Caisleán an Mhuillin
Mark Poland
Cloch Fhada
Conor Maginn
Áth Bhriain
Eoin McCartan
Boireann
Conor Laverty
Cill Chua
Brendan Coulter
Droichead Mhaigh Eo

If Liam Doyle is fit, it is difficult to believe that he will not start somewhere.

In the Onion Bag

Mourne Rover

It is possible that King is not fit so Gordon might switch to midfield with McArdle moving to full back. Duffin could then go to corner back with Doyle brought in for a free role, but guessing our actual starting line-up has become a difficult business. While our record against Tipperary is not good, a quarter final place is a massive incentive.

Faceinthecrowd

Can someone please post score updates today of the minor hurling and senior football games so that I can keep up to date with developments while I lie by the pool  8)

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid