The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Problem for Democrats is that SC is an open primary, meaning Independents (ie Republicans) can pull a ballot for the Democratic primary and vote for Bernie (because they see him as beatable)

Also an open primary in Massachusetts.....There is a right wing radio host here in Boston who is a huge Trump supporter. Sometime this week, he's going to let his (huge) listenership know whether or not they should pull a Democratic ballot

A buddy of mine did exactly that and voted for Bernie in NH while wearing his MAGA hat

Denn Forever

What's the bet that even if Bernie does well in the States on super Tuesday, the Democrats will shaft Bernie like they did last time and pick someone more Mainstream like Mayor Quimby. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

J70

Quote from: Denn Forever on February 24, 2020, 12:15:20 PM
What's the bet that even if Bernie does well in the States on super Tuesday, the Democrats will shaft Bernie like they did last time and pick someone more Mainstream like Mayor Quimby.

Superdelegates are not voting on the first ballot this year unless someone has already won sufficient pledged delegates and is thus assured of the win.

And reportedly Bernie is getting some Russian help, whether wanted or not. One would assume Putin would like him to be the Dem nominee to assure Trump of the win.

whitey

They'll try, but it won't end well for them

If they try and deny him, even though he will undoubtedly win the "popular vote" in the primaries, it will also kill their argument to abolish the Electoral College

Just after casting my own ballot at town hall-early voting started today at 8:00 am

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 01:11:21 PM

They'll try, but it won't end well for them

If they try and deny him, even though he will undoubtedly win the "popular vote" in the primaries, it will also kill their argument to abolish the Electoral College

Just after casting my own ballot at town hall-early voting started today at 8:00 am

How so?

General election, everyone is voting on the same day with the same information.

The primaries are an evolving process, each dependent to some degree on the ones that have already taken place, news that comes out at various points in the timeline, policies that change or are clarified, and voting blocks that consolidate as candidates drop out.

And how will "they try" to deny him the nomination?

They've already omitted the superdelegates from the first ballot. Its up to Bernie and his supporters to shore up enough of them in case the 16% they make up could be decisive.

Does Bernie have less of a chance of securing them than Bloomberg or Butigeg?

Biden would be the obvious choice for a superdelegate focused on general election electability, but he has run a disaster of a campaign and would be eaten alive by Trump. Already has, I guess, with his son's issues in the Ukraine.

Who'd you vote for BTW? :)

whitey

If Bernie has the most (popular) votes and the most delegates going into the convention any attempt to deny him the nomination will be met with all out revolt by the Bernie Bro's.....did you not see what they said on the O Keefe video? "Milwaukee will burn"

I rolled the dice and pulled a Democratic ballot and voted for Bernie. (I think he's the most beatable, but it could also backfire on me)

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 02:02:30 PM
If Bernie has the most (popular) votes and the most delegates going into the convention any attempt to deny him the nomination will be met with all out revolt by the Bernie Bro's.....did you not see what they said on the O Keefe video? "Milwaukee will burn"

I rolled the dice and pulled a Democratic ballot and voted for Bernie. (I think he's the most beatable, but it could also backfire on me)

But if Bernie hasn't met the quota (i.e. half of the pledged delegates plus one) on the first ballot, then it proceeds to the horse trading and winning of majority of ALL delegates for the subsequent ones.
The Bernie bros can scream and even riot (and face the full force of the law) all they want, but the rules are set.
Now when it comes down to it, if Bernie is close, I'd imagine he'll do a deal with Klobuchar or Butigeg or the like for some kind of unity ticket (it ain't going to be a Bernie/Warren ticket!).
That aside, if they want to do what Trump threatened and have Bernie run as an independent if he's not nominated, they're free to do that and absolutely guarantee Trump's reelection.

On O'Keefe, I did not know he had a video. Don't really care either. The man hasn't an ounce of credibility.

On your vote choice, you're now down with Trump?

whitey

Bernies supporters are already claiming on Twitter that they are going to win the popular vote, so strap yourself in.

Regarding Trump....I'm not "down" with him, but based on the fake dossier, 17  fisa "errors" and the Democrats despicable behavior during the Kavanaugh hearing I now actually hate them more than I hate Trump.  If the whole place is going to burn down ( no pun intended) I'd prefer it burn down with a conservative majority on the Supreme Court

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 03:09:00 PM
Bernies supporters are already claiming on Twitter that they are going to win the popular vote, so strap yourself in.

Regarding Trump....I'm not "down" with him, but based on the fake dossier, 17  fisa "errors" and the Democrats despicable behavior during the Kavanaugh hearing I now actually hate them more than I hate Trump.  If the whole place is going to burn down ( no pun intended) I'd prefer it burn down with a conservative majority on the Supreme Court

You have the conservative majority on the Supreme Court (a stolen one). How that is going to make society or your or anyone else's life better, I have no idea.

And your perceived Democratic scandals have been more than topped by Trump and his minions at this point.

You could have voted for Bloomberg, not Bernie.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 03:09:00 PM

There you have it. Modern conservative thinking. Scorched Earth.

Eamonnca1

I remember when some Democrats were happy that Donald "ha can't possibly beat Hillary" Trump took the GOP nomination.

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 24, 2020, 03:52:38 PM
I remember when some Democrats were happy that Donald "ha can't possibly beat Hillary" Trump took the GOP nomination.

Believe me, I am under no illusions about Bernies viability as a candidate. It was a calculated wager I made. If Bernie did win though, there's an increased chance the Democrats will loose the house and not a chance they'll win the Senate

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 04:12:37 PM

Believe me, I am under no illusions about Bernies viability as a candidate. It was a calculated wager I made. If Bernie did win though, there's an increased chance the Democrats will loose the house and not a chance they'll win the Senate

And an unresisted, unconstrained Trump and the party now in thrall to him is better for all of us because...?

whitey

Quote from: J70 on February 24, 2020, 04:22:35 PM

And an unresisted, unconstrained Trump and the party now in thrall to him is better for all of us because...?

I don't want my private health insurance abolished

I don't want open borders

(BTW-I am completely in favor of providing legal status to everyone who is currently undocumented. Let's get them taken care of before we invite more people in)

J70

Quote from: whitey on February 24, 2020, 04:37:12 PM
Quote from: J70 on February 24, 2020, 04:22:35 PM

I don't want my private health insurance abolished

I don't want open borders

(BTW-I am completely in favor of providing legal status to everyone who is currently undocumented. Let's get them taken care of before we invite more people in)

Neither is coming though. There'd be a Democratic revolt in Congress against abolishing private health insurance, never mind Republicans. "Open borders", whatever that means, would be similar.