Mayo Football and Hurling - Discussion pages

Started by stephenite, November 09, 2006, 11:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

I am judging him on how he has performed since  he took over current allireland finalist mayo not what a team containing Micheal donnellan padraic Joyce Ja fallon tomas mannion  kevin walsh and sean og depaor did 6 or 9 years ago. an manager is only as good as his team but the first rule should belike a doctor  do no harm. he ha transfor our wonderfully vibrant mayo team to a team that loses to donegal . defend that if you  will.
the rteason i call him a blushirt is the disgracefull way he has abused the position of mayo manager for his political ends. he had many chances to becaome mayo manager over the years but only choose to do so when running for the dail , and you accuse me of mixing sport and politics.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

intoDwest

saying!!
Quote from: rosnarun on June 27, 2007, 10:38:38 AM
the rteason i call him a blushirt is the disgracefull way he has abused the position of mayo manager for his political ends. he had many chances to becaome mayo manager over the years but only choose to do so when running for the dail , and you accuse me of mixing sport and politics.

I have to agree with Rosnarun on that point.

Davitt Man

I agree as well, Johnno was offered the job in the winter of 2005 before Miceky Moran got the job, Johnno didnt want it so why did he take the job in winter 2006, what had changed in 12 months, nothing where the county board was concerned. Johnno had changed he knew he was going to be running for the dail.

blast05

Oh sweet Jesus, sure why don't yee call for his head now rather than waiting until after the Cavan match

Davitt Man

Im not just saying this now, i thought this way from the word go, every football man in mayo thought the same when he came in as manager. Johnno certainly hasnt improved things yet, he has made some bizarre moves this year

When he took over he stated that this is a team building process a 3 year term then he makes a 34yr old the captain!!

Playing the likes of O'Neill, Nallen and Heaney in FBD league games when he should have been blooding players

He deemed Conroy good enough to start the league final and a week later dropped him from the panel!! Whats that about

Tubberman

He's managed us for 1 (ONE!) championship match and some of you have the knives out already.
Is it any wonder other counties laugh at us. Kerry aren't the only county with a shower of fcking animals it seems.

Some of you seem to have a politically-motivated opposition to the man, rather than football.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: intoDwest on June 27, 2007, 11:56:54 AM
saying!!
Quote from: rosnarun on June 27, 2007, 10:38:38 AM

I have to agree with Rosnarun on that point.

It makes it all clear now, the very ones that rammed it down my throat to leave Bev alone are the very ones attacking John O'Mahoney. The man did not take the job for the '06 season because he was leaving his job as a teacher & was getting his life in order.

I suppose Jack Lynch was a shameless article too (just for the record if all FF's where like Jack Lynch I would have no problem with them)

God sake judge John on the team performanc not his politics. Also you are not willing to give him a chance because he is an FG, its bad enough that we kick out managers on a regular basis since the mid-1980's on average 1 every 2 years but not alone is impatiance & the irrational belief that we are Kerry but now a mans politics is reason enough to sack him.

mannix

Interesting stuff there about JOM, time will tell but I think he will surprise a lot of people yet.

Davitt Man

i have always admired Johnno, he is a great a manager but just worried about some of his descisions this year, he is still finding his feet and trying to find the right team.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 27, 2007, 01:10:10 PM
i have always admired Johnno, he is a great a manager but just worried about some of his descisions this year, he is still finding his feet and trying to find the right team.

Fair enough but some of the other anti-Johnno brigade are politicaly not football motivated. He is trying to remould a team that to be honest has too many of its best (or used to be) players in the 29-34 age bracket & then alot more of its potential in the 18-22 age bracket. It will take time, it will take some awfull experiements and some great ones, sure look at Kerry playing Quirke at full forward & Donaghy @ midfield, that was a disaster. Look @ forward rotation for Dublin results in disaster time after time, but it allowed Galway to hammer us, it takes time to find your feet, remember Mickey Morans Nut formation full-forward line, he used this all league then come Championship abandon it, we still got to an All-Ireland Final.

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Davitt Man on June 27, 2007, 01:10:10 PM

Don't worry one little bit about Johnno Davitt Man, the man is a footballing genius, he knows what it takes and if the players are there he'll get it out of them. I agree the captaincy was a strange choice and for that matter so too was the vice-captain but I'm not going to start overly criticising him on that score.
Getting back to earlier threads, on one hand Rosnarun is saying Galway only won the All-Irelands because of the players he had, but then we lose to Donegal in a league final, yes a final you muppet, we had to win a few games to get that far and at least we showed up unilke Sept '06. Throw in the fact that we were missing how many 1st team regulars? If Johnno doesn't deserve credit for Galway's achievements then he certainly can't be criticised for managing a weakened team that narrowly lost to a good Donegal team (they are nowhere near as bad as they looked against Tyrone by the way). Your agenda Ros is completely political from what I can see. We have played one feckin game and some fools are calling for the head of one of the best managers in the modern game, for those of you that feel that way, you are indeed animals and you should stay away from McHale park the next day, "support" like that is never welcome in our county.

Farrandeelin

As the old saying about managers goes, he's only as good as his last game and sadly for Johnno, we were trounced by Galway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

if he wind the next league final he will have even surpassed Pat holmes

JOM   has  3 years according to some to get things right or  at at least till the start of the next dail session.
My main point is he has added nothing to the party . no new finds not even a good progression from an all ireland winning u21 team . he rowed back on all his Big ideas . Re padden, kilcullen the return of Austie, Conroy . . he has no better idea of his best team now than he did 6 months ago
a genius is one who doesnt need thiings to belly up before he changes things
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Davitt Man

Quote from: rosnarun on June 27, 2007, 03:42:31 PM
he has no better idea of his best team now than he did 6 months ago
This is true alright, no clue of our team now at all!

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: rosnarun on June 27, 2007, 03:42:31 PM
if he wind the next league final he will have even surpassed Pat holmes

JOM   has  3 years according to some to get things right or  at at least till the start of the next dail session.
My main point is he has added nothing to the party . no new finds not even a good progression from an all ireland winning u21 team . he rowed back on all his Big ideas . Re padden, kilcullen the return of Austie, Conroy . .

And that doesn't for one minute suggest to you that maybe the players aren't there right now?? The older players are a year, well... older, he has used some of the U-21s that stood out from last year, namely Higgins and Campbell during the league, for whatever reason no manager has trusted Kilcoyne when it comes to championship starting 15. I think the current group of younger players need a bit longer to develop. You admit he has tried lots of things and still we are back to the same players, bit of a hint in there don't you think? I believe the Galway performace was a mixture of things, lads that had been in many battles just didn't have the stomach for it on the day. That is the major concern, and hopefully that hunger can be restored for the rest of the year, with most of them anyway, there are one or two lads that are finished at this level and that's it. Alot of fans are worried that many of our problem positions haven't been solved, despite trying things that other management teams never tried we find ourselves back to the same players, e.g Liam O'Malley at FB etc. When a management team of the class of JOM, Tommy Lyons and Kieran Gallagher can't come up with a different set of players, once again you have to ask, are the players there just now? It's still early days, we're heading into our SECOND c'ship game of the year. Give the lads a chance, it could be a long summer yet, maybe we'll make a few discoveries against Cavan and see what happens after that. I doubt Kerry were expecting much to come from the Longford game last year yet look what they discovered!!