IRISH NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS

Started by MoChara, April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

The politics of the 2 island viz Ireland and the other one have been in flux since 1912. Scotland may well leave the UK. NI was a panic job and the workmanship was very shoddy. It probably won't be around 50 years from now. A NI identity could be created but why would you bother?

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on April 16, 2016, 06:06:02 AM
I think people up here generally share traits like honesty,plain speaking,religious belief,humour,community focus,concern for others etc.There is also common things like parading,Bonfires etc.We now have a shared history and Linda Ervine's full Irish classes in East Belfast shows how people are willing to branch out and embrace lost parts of their heritage.Also the Good Friday Agreement generation has grown up untarnished largely by the troubles.Will take time but better than wasting more time chasing pipe dreams like a United Ireland.
What utter garbage. I don't think you could be any more deluded.

T Fearon

Why is it garbage? One hundred years after the rising a united Ireland is further away than ever,paradoxically because a substantial majority of people  North and South are opposed to it,while the British actually favour it!

I see no point whatsoever in pursuing the diametrically opposed British/Irish solution,which is toxically divisive and has no hope of success either way.In short I see no alternative,in our lifetimes,than coming together in common Northern Irishness.

Rossfan

I know you're on the wind up but a Fermanagh Catholic farmer hasn't very much in common with Larne, Newtownards, Ballymena etc.
However he has an awful lot in common with people in Cavan, Leitrim, Longford etc etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 16, 2016, 10:37:32 AM
Why is it garbage? One hundred years after the rising a united Ireland is further away than ever,paradoxically because a substantial majority of people  North and South are opposed to it,while the British actually favour it!

I see no point whatsoever in pursuing the diametrically opposed British/Irish solution,which is toxically divisive and has no hope of success either way.In short I see no alternative,in our lifetimes,than coming together in common Northern Irishness.
as PJ HARVEY noted, England's dancing days are done . The UK is v fragile. Anything could happen.  NI is a failed statelet. NI catholics are obviously Irish as are most NI protestants.

Franko

Quote from: muppet on April 15, 2016, 07:16:56 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 15, 2016, 11:14:05 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 12:56:02 PM
Quote from: Franko on April 14, 2016, 10:53:31 AM
Quote from: muppet on April 14, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Quote from: MoChara on April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM
There was a thread I read a while back that had tailed of into the abandonment felt by Northerners by their compatriots in the South, I looked for it there but I couldn't find it.

I then came across this blog post today which I thought fairly well summed up the feeling of being a "Nordie"

https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/irish-northerners-and-southerners/

Any chance of a balancing piece or will this be the usual one way traffic of Southerner bashing?

I'm not aware of a rule about having to post both sides of the argument when starting a thread?  If you've got something to post that 'balances' MoChara's piece, then by all means go ahead, you're quite free to do so.  It's not up to him.

There are two ways of starting a topic such as this. Post a balanced piece or a biased piece.

I am simply suggesting that the former might have been a better way to start the discussion.

Yeah, cos that's how things work round here.  How many pro Trump articles have you posted on the US Election thread?  The OP and quite a few after him, were quite happy with the content of the article.  The 'bias' was only your opinion.

I wasn't the OP on that thread.

As for the bias, it is an article critical of a whole load of people. Are you arguing that it was balanced and that any criticism of it is biased?

You've been the OP on plenty of threads.  I've yet to see you post two differing opinions for the sake of balance.  Like I said earlier, some posters thought the article was bang on.  Some didn't.  It's all a matter of opinion.  We had a difference of opinion over this a while back.  You ended the conversation by saying that my opinion was wrong because it was just 'dogma'.  Why was my opinion just dogma and yours wasn't?  You said recently here that your posting style gets people angry.  Maybe it's because, when you see an opinion different from your own, you immediately default to words like 'biased' and 'dogma', dismissing immediately the other's POV and attempting to assume the standard role of all knowing sage.

T Fearon

So Seafoid,is Dublin going to pick up the tab for the North when British fragility implodes? I doubt it.

armaghniac

A really radical proposal is that NI would pay its own way and not require handouts from anyone.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on April 16, 2016, 11:26:19 AM
So Seafoid,is Dublin going to pick up the tab for the North when British fragility implodes? I doubt it.
A combination of spending cuts, thank you so much money from London and economic growth could do the trick

rrhf

Quote from: seafoid on April 16, 2016, 08:00:11 AM
The politics of the 2 island viz Ireland and the other one have been in flux since 1912. Scotland may well leave the UK. NI was a panic job and the workmanship was very shoddy. It probably won't be around 50 years from now. A NI identity could be created but why would you bother?

"Ourland"

But seriously the Northerners have more in common with Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan than the Southerners.  I think we need to annex that land and put up the borders.  If however we are talking of going together  the United States of Ireland, (USI) (Free state and Northern statelet) or United Federation of Ourland (UFO) I believe it would be progressive economically, politically, in sport and the Eurovision which is what is behind this whole debate anyway. 
Make no mistake about it and Northern BREXIT supporters be warned, If we leave the Eurovision there'll be a war like no other.. 

muppet

Quote from: Franko on April 16, 2016, 11:16:20 AM
There was a thread I read a while back that had tailed of into the abandonment felt by Northerners by their compatriots in the South, I looked for it there but I couldn't find it.

I then came across this blog post today which I thought fairly well summed up the feeling of being a "Nordie"

https://danieldcollins.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/irish-northerners-and-southerners/

Any chance of a balancing piece or will this be the usual one way traffic of Southerner bashing?

I'm not aware of a rule about having to post both sides of the argument when starting a thread?  If you've got something to post that 'balances' MoChara's piece, then by all means go ahead, you're quite free to do so.  It's not up to him.

There are two ways of starting a topic such as this. Post a balanced piece or a biased piece.

I am simply suggesting that the former might have been a better way to start the discussion.

Yeah, cos that's how things work round here.  How many pro Trump articles have you posted on the US Election thread?  The OP and quite a few after him, were quite happy with the content of the article.  The 'bias' was only your opinion.

As for the bias, it is an article critical of a whole load of people. Are you arguing that it was balanced and that any criticism of it is biased?

You've been the OP on plenty of threads.  I've yet to see you post two differing opinions for the sake of balance.  Like I said earlier, some posters thought the article was bang on.  Some didn't.  It's all a matter of opinion.  We had a difference of opinion over this a while back.  You ended the conversation by saying that my opinion was wrong because it was just 'dogma'.  Why was my opinion just dogma and yours wasn't?  You said recently here that your posting style gets people angry.  Maybe it's because, when you see an opinion different from your own, you immediately default to words like 'biased' and 'dogma', dismissing immediately the other's POV and attempting to assume the standard role of all knowing sage.

Of course it was biased. It was one person's criticisms of a lot of other people. Please tell me how this cannot be biased. If it was a self-criticism it could be deemed to be honest, but when you bash others it can nevertheless be anything other than opinion and biased opinion at that.

I notice he posts links to An Phoblacht in his articles. No bias there either.
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on April 16, 2016, 02:49:11 PM

Of course it was biased. It was one person's criticisms of a lot of other people. Please tell me how this cannot be biased. If it was a self-criticism it could be deemed to be honest, but when you bash others it can nevertheless be anything other than opinion and biased opinion at that.

By that fuzzy logic, your criticisms of the writer and the piece are also biased (the writer, and quite a few others seemed to agree with what he was saying).  Does that immediately render them incorrect also?

MoChara

Quote from: rrhf

"Ourland"

But seriously the Northerners have more in common with Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan than the Southerners.  I think we need to annex that land and put up the borders.  If however we are talking of going together  the United States of Ireland, (USI) (Free state and Northern statelet) or United Federation of Ourland (UFO) I believe it would be progressive economically, politically, in sport and the Eurovision which is what is behind this whole debate anyway. 
Make no mistake about it and Northern BREXIT supporters be warned, If we leave the Eurovision there'll be a war like no other..

Bit like Eire Nua maybe, the federalising to two parts rather than four like in that document is the best option I think  their original 4 province option was too cumbersome and was only really so it didn't seem to soft for other republicans to swallow

muppet

Quote from: Franko on April 16, 2016, 03:15:42 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 16, 2016, 02:49:11 PM

By that fuzzy logic, your criticisms of the writer and the piece are also biased (the writer, and quite a few others seemed to agree with what he was saying).  Does that immediately render them incorrect also?

Brilliant. You finally got there. Now see why I suggested some balance? Instead we got the usual one way traffic of Southern bashing that appears in that article, supported by a few others.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: MoChara on April 16, 2016, 06:04:51 PM
Quote from: rrhf

"Ourland"

Bit like Eire Nua maybe, the federalising to two parts rather than four like in that document is the best option I think  their original 4 province option was too cumbersome and was only really so it didn't seem to soft for other republicans to swallow

Perhaps you could call it Eire Renua?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B