IRISH NORTHERNERS AND SOUTHERNERS

Started by MoChara, April 14, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I liked the essay apart from  a few generalisations  such as referring to a  "common southern mindset"
Those faults are not enough to detract from the essay. It's a good read and an honest personal account
and way beyond the intelligence level of the tractors.

What do we call nordies if we can't call them nordies? nothing, we don't have to call them anything?  they are just like one of us?
Life was easier when I could call a nordie a nordie and not feel like I was socially stigmatising them.

muppet

Quote from: Main Street on April 14, 2016, 02:58:42 PM
I liked the essay apart from  a few generalisations  such as referring to a  "common southern mindset"
Those faults are not enough to detract from the essay. It's a good read and an honest personal account

What do we call nordies if we can't call them nordies? nothing, we don't have to call them anything?  they are just like one of us?
Life was easier when I could call a nordie a nordie and not feel like I was socially stigmatising them.

I know they have high torque but they are still very slow!  :D
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

We're all as Irish as one another, but that doesn't mean we don't have traits related to our areas. Midlanders are different to Cork lads, Dubs are different to nearly everyone. The lads on the Wesht have their own traits, and nordies have their own as well. But we're all Irish.

haranguerer

Main Street

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2016, 03:10:02 PM

We're all as Irish as one another, but that doesn't mean we don't have traits related to our areas. Midlanders are different to Cork lads, Dubs are different to nearly everyone. The lads on the Wesht have their own traits, and nordies have their own as well. But we're all Irish.
That's fair enough. There's no stigma attached  to just being called a nordie.
And if Kerry folk are not too put out by being called cute hoors, then  there's a degree of flexibility allowed.

AZOffaly

I'm a Biffo for Jaysus sake. I wear it as a badge of honour. But maybe that's because I'm Big and Ignorant :)

Main Street

To a Dub, you're just from bogland.

The term BIffo, would be way over their heads.

Rossfan

Dubs have Ireland neatly partitioned into Dublin and "Deeowen de cooonthry"  ???
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

This essay could easily have been written by a unionist expressing how he is unloved or not identified with or by real British people.

The fact is,the vast majority of people in England,Scotland and Wales do not regard themselves as kindred spirits of Northern unionists,and neither do the vast majority of 26 counties people regard northern nationalists as their kindred.This works both ways,as I don't think the average northern nationalist or unionist identifies with or even thinks like the people they believe are the same nationality as them in the UK or the 26 counties.

As I've said before why at this stage do so many people from the North owe allegiance to the UK or 26 counties when they've been screwed over many times by them,and with whom their is no national identity or even common traits shared?

OgraAnDun

Anyone from Ulster or the 6C that gets offended by the term 'Nordie' or 'Northener' needs to catch themselves on and have a look at which part of the country their county lies in. A lot of people consider Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal people as northerners anyway - because Ulster is in the north of the country.

The trouble comes with some gobshites calling you 'British' or (almost as bad) 'Northern Irish'. A lot of these people subscribe to the modern revisionist view of Irish history and are more interested in furthering the cause of a neutered and PC world than educating themselves about the plight of 6 County Catholics and doing something about it. Don't you know that waving flags (apart from rainbow flags) is uncool?

muppet

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 14, 2016, 03:59:14 PM
Anyone from Ulster or the 6C that gets offended by the term 'Nordie' or 'Northener' needs to catch themselves on and have a look at which part of the country their county lies in. A lot of people consider Cavan/Monaghan/Donegal people as northerners anyway - because Ulster is in the north of the country.

The trouble comes with some gobshites calling you 'British' or (almost as bad) 'Northern Irish'. A lot of these people subscribe to the modern revisionist view of Irish history and are more interested in furthering the cause of a neutered and PC world than educating themselves about the plight of 6 County Catholics and doing something about it. Don't you know that waving flags (apart from rainbow flags) is uncool?

Agree with that.

But as for the bit in bold, Haranguerer will be along shortly to lambaste you over your 'lack of any knowledge or understanding of the North'. Which is ironic, assuming you are from County Down.
MWWSI 2017

MoChara

Quote from: OgraAnDun on April 14, 2016, 03:59:14 PM

Being called Northern Irish makes my skin crawl

T Fearon

What is wrong with being called "Northern Irish?" It is merely an accurate reflection of reality.I wish more people in the North identified themselves as Northern Irish as opposed to the ridiculous British or Irish titles

Rossfan

Because "British" and "Irish" are the only Nationalities available.
If the 6 Cos wants to become an Independent State of course then yyou'll be grand......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2016, 03:19:34 PM
I'm a Biffo for Jaysus sake. I wear it as a badge of honour. But maybe that's because I'm Big and Ignorant :)
Beautiful Intelligent Female From Offaly  :-*