The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoChara

Croke Park's annual financial report revealed that the total amount of money Dublin received from the GAA was greater than three of the four provincial councils.

Dublin were awarded a total of €2,821,990 under categories such as Games Development, Team Expenses and Capital Grants.

€1.46 million of this money comes under the heading of Games Development. Dublin receives a whopping 47% of all grants doled out under this heading.

In addition to this, Dublin's sponsorship deal with AIG is believed to be worth €1 million a year. This is more than double what any other county garners through sponsorship deals. Leitrim's sponsorship deal with the Bush Hotel is thought to worth €20,000.

Money was pumped into games development in Dublin during the mid-noughties while the county was stuck deep in its lengthy All-Ireland drought.

There was much keening about Dublin's failure to reach September and the resulting 'glamour' deficit in the GAA.

Off the back of three All-Irelands in five years, officials are now wondering if these efforts were far too successful. They have been unable to scale back on spending in Dublin in 2015 as this might involve laying off Games Promotion Officers in the capital.

And the overwhelming nature of Dublin's dominance in their province is now hurting the financial end.

As reported by Sean Moran in the Irish Times, Peter McKenna made reference to 'Dublin's domination of Leinster' as a factor in the €600,000 decline in match-day rental income.

It's clear that - despite the rationale given for keeping Dublin in Croke Park - the capital's utter domination of Leinster is now having adverse financial consequences.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-cost-of-dublins-domination-is-becoming-clear/323288

Zulu

Could some of the GPO's not simply be related to Louth, Meath, Wicklow and Kildare for example? This would mean they wouldn't necessarily have to move or lose their job but simply travel to a different location for work.

seafoid

Meath, Kildare and Offaly are all Trina cheile. Not the fault of the Dubs who can be relied upon to arse it up like they always do. They are no Kerry. Hegemony is funny.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: MoChara on February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Croke Park's annual financial report revealed that the total amount of money Dublin received from the GAA was greater than three of the four provincial councils.

Dublin were awarded a total of €2,821,990 under categories such as Games Development, Team Expenses and Capital Grants.

€1.46 million of this money comes under the heading of Games Development. Dublin receives a whopping 47% of all grants doled out under this heading.

In addition to this, Dublin's sponsorship deal with AIG is believed to be worth €1 million a year. This is more than double what any other county garners through sponsorship deals. Leitrim's sponsorship deal with the Bush Hotel is thought to worth €20,000.

Money was pumped into games development in Dublin during the mid-noughties while the county was stuck deep in its lengthy All-Ireland drought.

There was much keening about Dublin's failure to reach September and the resulting 'glamour' deficit in the GAA.

Off the back of three All-Irelands in five years, officials are now wondering if these efforts were far too successful. They have been unable to scale back on spending in Dublin in 2015 as this might involve laying off Games Promotion Officers in the capital.

And the overwhelming nature of Dublin's dominance in their province is now hurting the financial end.

As reported by Sean Moran in the Irish Times, Peter McKenna made reference to 'Dublin's domination of Leinster' as a factor in the €600,000 decline in match-day rental income.

It's clear that - despite the rationale given for keeping Dublin in Croke Park - the capital's utter domination of Leinster is now having adverse financial consequences.

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/the-cost-of-dublins-domination-is-becoming-clear/323288

It is quite staggering to me that is is only 'becoming' clear now. If Dublin (through no fault of their own, fair play to them for using the money wisely) are capable of murdering 28 counties in Ireland regularly, how do the GAA expect people to come along to witness that?

I've always said financial considerations are driving decisions in Croke Park now, ahead of games competitiveness or attractiveness (insomuch as they do not impact on profitability). As soon as any factor is seen to threaten that, measures will be taken. These noises are the beginning of that. I just hope the 'cure' is not worse, especially if that is also driven by bottom line impact.

seafoid

The GAA should fix Leinster football. Dubs have 10  out of the last 11 I think
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AZOffaly

Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2016, 11:31:42 AM

You're correct in what you said earlier. Offaly, Kildare, Meath and all the others should bear the brunt of the blame for their own issues, not cast arrows towards Dublin. However, if Offaly make the absolute most of their resources (and they are trying) the artificially inflated gap between themselves and Dublin will still not close, simply because Dublin is able to provide a huge amount of quality coaching and games development, thanks to money from Croke Park.

If that money is not a primary factor, and there is just something inherently better in the Dublin lads, then removing it should make no difference to the current state of play, and the money can be used elsewhere.

If it is a primary factor, then it has to be addressed, either by increasing money to the other counties, or reducing the money to Dublin. My preference would be to increase the money (assuming coherent plans on how to spend it are produced) rather than punishing Dublin for being excellent.

Unfortunately that requires even more money, so what do the GAA do? As I said, they will be swayed by whatever generates a healthier bottom line. For years, that was made healthier by a strong Dublin team and a full Croke Park several days a year. Now that the pendulum has swung so far, that relative strength is actually having a detrimental effect on attendance, and if attendance and interest are affected, so too are the coffers in all counties.

It's a hard medium to find. The GAA needs a competitive Dublin, but it doesn't need, or can't have, a Dublin which through it's own strength reduces the interest in the games themselves.

twohands!!!

Quote from: MoChara on February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Someone who was in the know about the whole GPO side of things told me that there are more GPOs in Dublin than in the rest of the other 31 counties combined. Can anyone confirm this?

When you consider where Dublin are in the football and the hurling it seems a bit mad.

AZOffaly

Not sure about that. I think there's 52 GPOs in Dublin, but they are part financed by the Clubs as well. There are 4 in Tipperary, and I think 2 in Offaly. I can't imagine the other 29 counties don't add up to 46.

general_lee

How is the money spent?

Is it being pumped into county teams across all the codes? Or development at grass roots level with clubs?

AZOffaly

A lot of it into coaching and games development at underage level, club and county. There are separate figures for team expenses and the like at adult level. Also, I wouldn't begrudge Dublin's sponsorship deal either. That's something they worked for themselves, so fair play to them.

Jinxy

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2016, 11:38:38 AM

You're correct in what you said earlier. Offaly, Kildare, Meath and all the others should bear the brunt of the blame for their own issues, not cast arrows towards Dublin. However, if Offaly make the absolute most of their resources (and they are trying) the artificially inflated gap between themselves and Dublin will still not close, simply because Dublin is able to provide a huge amount of quality coaching and games development, thanks to money from Croke Park.

If that money is not a primary factor, and there is just something inherently better in the Dublin lads, then removing it should make no difference to the current state of play, and the money can be used elsewhere.

If it is a primary factor, then it has to be addressed, either by increasing money to the other counties, or reducing the money to Dublin. My preference would be to increase the money (assuming coherent plans on how to spend it are produced) rather than punishing Dublin for being excellent.

Unfortunately that requires even more money, so what do the GAA do? As I said, they will be swayed by whatever generates a healthier bottom line. For years, that was made healthier by a strong Dublin team and a full Croke Park several days a year. Now that the pendulum has swung so far, that relative strength is actually having a detrimental effect on attendance, and if attendance and interest are affected, so too are the coffers in all counties.

It's a hard medium to find. The GAA needs a competitive Dublin, but it doesn't need, or can't have, a Dublin which through it's own strength reduces the interest in the games themselves.

When have they ever not been competitive?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

True. I mean competitive in the sense of winning an All Ireland every 5 or 6 years.

Zulu

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2016, 11:38:38 AM

Not to labour the point but a lot more money could be generated by changing our competition structures and providing more competitive games between counties of similar ability. According to some posters here there is 15,000 expected at a February league between an experimental Dublin and an injury ravaged Mayo, the potential is clear. By also prioritising some other large counties for development you could easily generate the crowds that would allow greater developmental assistance to smaller counties like Offaly, Laois, Roscommon, Cavan etc.

Jinxy

There should be a 3 year moratorium on the provision of all central funding to Dublin.
That money can rest in our account in the meantime.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Meath and Leinster Council should have to provide Louth with €250k per annum till 2060 as reparations for the illegal result in 2010.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM