Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2018, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 10:14:54 AM
Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 01:51:20 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 12:51:55 AM
A lot of people are talking about how there are no solutions to the problem of gun violence in America.

But then I overheard somebody on a bus say "they should ban guns".

I thought to myself, that sounds so obvious that it just might work!

You didnt think, thats the problem, you ban guns it gets worse, do you seriously think that banning guns will solve the problem? If so you are a biggr idiot than I took you for!
Yes mate, I think it would work way, way better than the current situation.

It's a very simple problem with a very simple solution, and only very simple people, like you, think otherwise.

Siddles, how much time have you spent in the States? If you think this is a simple problem you are the one that is simple, I just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so, so that makes things a tad complex, who is going to collect these guns? the liberal politicians? Hardly ked!

What is your simple solution sidley? Pray tell, I am all ears.

The fact is guns have been a part of American history since the beginning of American history and no way in hell will the gun ever be removed from American society, its not going to happen ever!!!!

I could see a scenario were snowflakes like you sidley go knocking on doors demanding gun owners hand over their guns, I would watch in fascinated horror as your chest exploded with a 45 ripping through it and your mouth agape with that wtf  expression before you expired, the fact you see this as a simple problem with a simple fix speaks volumes, in my scenario you would be missed sidley, truly missed, and this from a man who has no time for guns at all at all anymore, you are living in fantasy land kid and you know nothing about the gun control situation in America, absolutely nothing!

Police officers, Marines, Armay men etc will refuse en masse to take guns from the people, it will not happen.............Ever. Simple.

So exile, it is a simple fix as your mucker siddles infers?

Great movie by the way, you gotta love slim pickins!  ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

johnneycool

Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: screenexile on February 16, 2018, 11:43:51 AM
Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 11:35:35 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 10:14:54 AM
Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 01:51:20 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on February 16, 2018, 12:51:55 AM
A lot of people are talking about how there are no solutions to the problem of gun violence in America.

But then I overheard somebody on a bus say "they should ban guns".

I thought to myself, that sounds so obvious that it just might work!

You didnt think, thats the problem, you ban guns it gets worse, do you seriously think that banning guns will solve the problem? If so you are a biggr idiot than I took you for!
Yes mate, I think it would work way, way better than the current situation.

It's a very simple problem with a very simple solution, and only very simple people, like you, think otherwise.

Siddles, how much time have you spent in the States? If you think this is a simple problem you are the one that is simple, I just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so, so that makes things a tad complex, who is going to collect these guns? the liberal politicians? Hardly ked!

What is your simple solution sidley? Pray tell, I am all ears.

The fact is guns have been a part of American history since the beginning of American history and no way in hell will the gun ever be removed from American society, its not going to happen ever!!!!

I could see a scenario were snowflakes like you sidley go knocking on doors demanding gun owners hand over their guns, I would watch in fascinated horror as your chest exploded with a 45 ripping through it and your mouth agape with that wtf  expression before you expired, the fact you see this as a simple problem with a simple fix speaks volumes, in my scenario you would be missed sidley, truly missed, and this from a man who has no time for guns at all at all anymore, you are living in fantasy land kid and you know nothing about the gun control situation in America, absolutely nothing!

Police officers, Marines, Armay men etc will refuse en masse to take guns from the people, it will not happen.............Ever. Simple.

So exile, it is a simple fix as your mucker siddles infers?

Great movie by the way, you gotta love slim pickins!  ;)

So what is your solution Stew?

Is it just one of the things you have to endure to live in the greatest democracy in the free world?

Are we snowflakes for thinking its crazy that schools are susceptible to these types of shooting on a weekly basis?

#thoughtsandprayers

trueblue1234

It has to be done in stages. You can't get a seismic shift in gun control passed in the US, so it's pointless trying. Take it step by step. And surely the most obvious first stage is to stop the sale of automatic weapons. There is no reasonable argument for that. You would have to hope that this would have support by enough in the US to get through. If not, then I'm sorry stew, but the collectives calls for stupidity against the US have some grounding.
So remove these weapons first. Then move to review the license process and make it much more strict. As wobbler mentioned, then move to restrict ammunition. Then remove to look at hand guns etc. Peel it back slowly over many years if it has to be. But at least start the process now, don't kick the can down the road anymore.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

johnneycool

Quote from: trueblue1234 on February 16, 2018, 02:21:00 PM
It has to be done in stages. You can't get a seismic shift in gun control passed in the US, so it's pointless trying. Take it step by step. And surely the most obvious first stage is to stop the sale of automatic weapons. There is no reasonable argument for that. You would have to hope that this would have support by enough in the US to get through. If not, then I'm sorry stew, but the collectives calls for stupidity against the US have some grounding.
So remove these weapons first. Then move to review the license process and make it much more strict. As wobbler mentioned, then move to restrict ammunition. Then remove to look at hand guns etc. Peel it back slowly over many years if it has to be. But at least start the process now, don't kick the can down the road anymore.

You're not even going to get that debate on automatic weapons started due to the stranglehold the NRA have over both parties.
To really start the process lobbying groups need to be curtailed and the only ones able to do that are the politicians and turkeys don't vote for christmas I'm afraid.

The swamp does indeed need drained but there has to be a political will to do it, but they're all on the take somewhere or other.

It's not going to happen and we'll get all the fake outrage and sympathy once again, then again and again.

seafoid

The NRA is a core GOP constituency. Nothing will change
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 11:35:35 AMI just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so

So the armed services would mutiny? It's even more screwed up than I thought.

TabClear

Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2018, 02:56:11 PM
Quote from: stew on February 16, 2018, 11:35:35 AMI just read about many police officers and servicemen who, when asked if they would go to peoples homes and take the guns from them, to a man/woman they said no, they would refuse ANY order to do so

So the armed services would mutiny? It's even more screwed up than I thought.

You a link to that article Stew? Would be interested to read that.

brokencrossbar1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/15/it-took-one-massacre-how-australia-made-gun-control-happen-after-port-arthur

It's a very long article but it is about the Australian Gun amnesty after the Port Arthur shootings, the guy used the same AR 15 rifle that was used the other day. The USA needs to change it's mindset. Australia did and there have been no mass shootings since. In the 20 years prior to that there were 13. If you do nothing then nothing changes. If you accept that it should stay the same then it will always stay the same. If people cannot see the need for change then it will repeat and repeat and then the only ones who  benefit from it are the makers of the guns as whether they're being used legally or illegally they still have to be bought at some stage. The gun company's are laughing at the population of the US and it's politicians.

blewuporstuffed

Exactly.
Its not that  complicated.
Start with banning removing the weapons capable of doing the most damage, the assault rifles.
No one expects this to be done over night, it may take 20 years or more, but at least try!

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

stew

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 16, 2018, 03:28:10 PM

Exactly.
Start with banning removing the weapons capable of doing the most damage, the assault rifles.
No one expects this to be done over night, it may take 20 years or more, but at least try!

So it is complicated, how can anything so simple take 20 years for just the first step?

I would love to see all of the above acted upon, who of us here wouldnt? That said there are a few fundamental flaws I have to point out.

Stopping the sale of Automatic weapons may, just may be achieveable, due to the NRA it probably wont happen, they have too many bent politicians in their back pockets.

Reviewing the Licensing process is badly needed however I refer you to my first point.

Restricting ammunition is a band aid, it will solve nothing, the ammo will be made underground, sold on and wont be a problem even if by some miracle leglislation was passed on this front.

looking to take their hand guns willbe used by the NRA as a mean to civil disobediance on an unprecedented scale, it will lead to anarchy and chaos, you have to bear in mind, these people grew up with guns, they know guns, they had them in racks in their pick up trucks, shit, three years ago I went up north to Michigan to play golf and not only did the other three have guns with them, but there was a gun rack in the back of the truck, it was weird to me them packing all that heat but they thought I was the irrational one when I mentioned I was uncomfortable with the weaponry, it is a cultural thing in America for Americans, we can never understand it but it does not make them thick, it makes them different, the yanks might be many things but thick they are not on the whole.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

whitey

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 16, 2018, 03:28:10 PM

Exactly.

Assault weapons get all the headlines but something like 90% of gun murders are committed using handguns.  The biggest problem in my opinion is that every state has its own laws and there is little federal oversight

IL  has very strict gun laws, but next door in IN (which abuts the city of Chicago) the laws are very lax

FFS I read somewhere that in TX you can buy a gun at a yard sale

They should start by rigorously enforcing the laws that are already on the books. Charge gun sellers as accessories if they do not follow protocol

AZOffaly

Resurrecting this thread to share this video from Toronto. Obviously an horrific attack by what seems to be a mentally disturbed young fella with a van. Killed 10 people. Shocking stuff.

This is the arrest, videoed by members of the public. How brave is this cop? Fair play to him.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4165974/toronto-van-attack-ken-lam-father-reacts/

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2018, 01:24:26 PM
Resurrecting this thread to share this video from Toronto. Obviously an horrific attack by what seems to be a mentally disturbed young fella with a van. Killed 10 people. Shocking stuff.

This is the arrest, videoed by members of the public. How brave is this cop? Fair play to him.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4165974/toronto-van-attack-ken-lam-father-reacts/
It could very easily have went the other way though AZ? Members of the public in the area. The man just murdered 10 people and he reaches quickly for something (like a gun) and pulls it to a 'drawn' position? The cop would have been completely justified in shooting him. If it had of been a gun there would have been more people dead. The cop was very very lucky it wasn't.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

I think I trust the Cop. He obviously saw what was going on.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 25, 2018, 02:27:29 PM
I think I trust the Cop. He obviously saw what was going on.
if he had shot him when he reached for a "weapon" I don't think anyone would be calling for him to be fired though?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight