Willie O'Dea

Started by Celt_Man, February 16, 2010, 07:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

Motion of no confidence in O'Dea

Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny has told the Dáil he intends to put down a motion of no confidence in Defence Minister Willie O'Dea.

Following a five minute explanation read to the Dáil by the Minister, Mr Kenny said questions were raised by the explanation, and therefore he would be bringing forward a confidence motion.

The Fine Gael motion has been submitted and is expected to be debated during the party's private member's time next Tuesday and Wednesday.
Advertisement

In his statement, Minister O'Dea insisted that he had not lied on oath, but admitted he had made a mistake.

He said that as soon as he discovered his mistake, he had moved to rectify it and had corrected his affidavit on his own volition.

Mr O'Dea said his evidence he had given had been mistaken, but that evidence and testimony is regularly corrected in courts without allegations and assertions of lying and perjury being levelled.

Labour's Pat Rabbitte suggested that Minister O'Dea had 'a cheek' to claim he had forgotten what he had said.

He said he hoped that Green Party leader John Gormley would revert to his high moral standards when the no confidence motion came before the Dáil.

Earlier, Taoiseach Brian Cowen told the Dáil he does not believe that there were 'any breaches' of laws or codes of conduct by the Minister O'Dea.

Mr Cowen said that when the matter was brought to his attention, he spoke to Mr O'Dea and he was satisfied that his personal explanation would clear the matter up.

Last summer, Minister O'Dea made a sworn statement in connection with a High Court case taken by Sinn Féin local election candidate Maurice Quinlivan.

While he accepted making comments about Mr Quinlivan which were published in a local newspaper, he denied making other, unpublished, comments which figured in the court case.

It later transpired that he had in fact made the comments - Mr O'Dea said he had forgotten making them, and apologised.

This apology, and a sum in damages, was accepted by Mr Quinlivan.

I wonder will Willie ask Enda to step outside to settle this??   ;D ;D
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Farrandeelin

Why does Kenny continue to put forward motions of no confidence when none of them ever work for him??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 16, 2010, 07:47:59 PM
Why does Kenny continue to put forward motions of no confidence when none of them ever work for him??

In fairness as leader of the main opposition party when the sitting Defence Minister makes a c*nt of himself like that, he is well entitled to forward a motion
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 16, 2010, 07:47:59 PM
Because that'e part of his job ( a total waste of time of course as the Govt will always win the vote ...and even if some of their TDs are absent the opposition "pair" an equal number of theirs who dont vote  ::) ::) - ya couldnt make it up)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Declan

QuoteMr O'Dea said he had forgotten making them, and apologised.

Standard FF answer "flawed recollection". Thankfully there was a tape recording of what he said and the little matter of the fact that it as in a sworn affadvit is deemed as nothing. Unreal

Zapatista

With the problems the courts in Limerick are facing with with this type of behaviour through false witness and threatening witnesses you'd expect a government minister to be different.

Billys Boots

Sure the law doesn't apply to Willie - didn't he assault someone in a pub too a while back?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

lynchbhoy

to be fair to inda kenny, I think he has to put forward a motion of no confidence or people would set on him for letting an obvious illegal act from a gov minister to go unopposed and unmentioned
whether he wins it or not is another matter
ff should be looking to relieve odea of his ministerial duties, but I suspect they wont.

lying under oath is now commonplace and the 'acceptable' answer was that the person said whatever it was 'in good faith' and if there is a false accusation made through a solicitor - then you wont ever be able to pin the culprit as each blames the other.

the law is a complete ass. Seeing a few cases recently where false accusations have been made and a judge makes a court order against a bloke where the evidence is circumstantial and false, plus anothe where a mother with 4 young kids isnt getting maintenance because her ex says he is broke and isnt getting paid from his job (when it was found out that he is getting paid ) and the judge didnt even look for any proof either way !
All lies under oath...I used to think that this was an illegal if not criminal act in itself , but obv not any more.

I would like to see what happens odea, and would like him to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law for lying under oath.
this country needs leadership and it should star from the top.
Getting rid of this untouchable craic would be a start for the common people.

Zapatista

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 09:49:36 AM

lying under oath is now commonplace and the 'acceptable' answer was that the person said whatever it was 'in good faith' and if there is a false accusation made through a solicitor - then you wont ever be able to pin the culprit as each blames the other.

This is different though. He didn't make it through anyone. He put it into an affidavit. It is one person who lied to the court under oath.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Zapatista on February 17, 2010, 09:53:55 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 17, 2010, 09:49:36 AM

This is different though. He didn't make it through anyone. He put it into an affidavit. It is one person who lied to the court under oath.
I know, I was just outlining how else the lies can occur these days.

I want odea prosecuted and removed from his ministerial position, if not his dail seat.

Zapatista

:o :o :o

http://twitpic.com/photos/theaffidavit2

He didn't just get it wrong, he got it very wrong. I find it very hard to believe this affidavit was a mistake or a lapse in memory. Feck me :o

Declan

Unreal stuff alright Zap.

muppet

If you remove O'Dea you remove 2 of the 5 professional qualifications from the Cabinet (think about it).
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2010, 11:43:35 AM
If you remove O'Dea you remove 2 of the 5 professional qualifications from the Cabinet (think about it).

Think about what? He may be a professional but he is not trustworrthy whaih is worse.

muppet

Quote from: Zapatista on February 17, 2010, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2010, 11:43:35 AM

Think about what? He may be a professional but he is not trustworrthy whaih is worse.

I never claimed he was trustworthy!
MWWSI 2017