Yes
29 (67.4%)
No
10 (23.3%)
Depends
4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

ziggysego

QuoteTyrone manager Mickey Harte has urged the GAA to abandon the International Rules series and replace it with a GAA World Series for winners of the senior, intermediate and junior All-Ireland club championships.

"We need to begin to generate an international dimension to Gaelic games," Harte said at a debate in DCU about the future of the International Rules series on Thursday night, November 16.

"Let's not forget inter-county football started with the clubs. Clubs represented their counties in the first instance. Clubs can also represent our country at junior, intermediate and senior.

"We have teams in virtually every part of the world and there are certainly teams who could meet that standard. We could begin by having a World Series at club level."

He added: "It might take time, but so what? Certainly Gaelic football is being played elsewhere."

Sourced BBCi: http://www.hoganstand.com/Tyrone/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=69213

Testing Accessibility

Gabriel_Hurl

Elias

If sucessful it would promote our games to the world in a way the IRS never could.

I'm feeling after the sham in Croker the other week MH may find he has a lot of supporters for this idea that would not have been there a few months back.

muppet

There are just two IR games but people use the fixtures argument as a stcik to beat it. What exactly would this American style "we are the world" competition do to the overcrowded schedules?
MWWSI 2017

Elias

The fixture argument aside, what is wrong with our junior, intermediate and senior players playing games against teams based abroad?

The Meadow

More stupid talk from 'can someone notice me' Mickey!! Go spend time with your family!!! Turning into to a real attention seeker. ::)

Red Nose Red Hand

Quote from: The Meadow on November 17, 2006, 08:17:57 PM
More stupid talk from 'can someone notice me' Mickey!! Go spend time with your family!!! Turning into to a real attention seeker. ::)

It took you a while to catch on that Harte is an attention-seeker - the only thing a nonsensical world series would achieve is to provide the men in suits with yet more junckets all round the globe, rather than the trip down under every second year which is probably becoming less glamorous now.

ziggysego

Could it be that Harte says these things at Gala Events and other GAA events that he has been invited to? Then when he makes a comment about what he believes in, the media prints it? Noooo, that couldn't be it guys and gals!
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Exactly, Ziggy. Perhaps it was that the others who spoke weren't interesting enough to print. Lay off Harte, he's been rarely wrong so far.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Elias

I think it stems from the dislike of sucessful managers in some corners, so no matter what he says he'll be critised for.

slow corner back

I like the idea of junior club players getting trips abroad for promoting the game. Take for instance the hurlers of clooney gaels in Ahoghill, probably the most difficult place in ireland to promote GAA, seriously bad for your health. Despite this they have won this years Ulster Junior Hurling Championship, beating my own club along the way. If we are going to have an international aspect to gaelic games it makes sense to promote it from the junior level, Dubai Hurlers wil never beat Ballyhale Shamrocks but the might give Clooney Gaels a good match plus it would be a huge boost/ perk for junior clubs everywhere. Well said mickey

tyssam5

Attention seeker? Yep 2003 and 2005 got my attention alright!  ;)

Fionntamhnach

TYP in some sort of agreement with Mickey Harte shocker!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DUBSFORSAM1

Well there was  a Gaelic World Cup which was played in Dublin every 2nd year with mens teams from Scotland, Europe, Canada, North American Board. United Kingdom, London which finished in 2002 I think or maybe 2004.
The womens tournament still continues and also includes Australia...

At a large number of European GAA tournaments there are Irish club teams playing while on weekend trips.

The winners of this years Mens European League are taking part in the Leinster Junior Club Championship so maybe Mickey Harte should research first before commenting...