Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

That's more like it lads a bit of positive mindset might get us somewhere......

It's what  Sugrue has installed in the players and is whats missing from this county ...

Look what an average Fermanagh team did to Monaghan!!!!

LAOIS LAOIS LAOIS
LAOIS ABÚ

Nameless

Let's look at the positives from the Dublin game and see what we can work on.

Our kickouts went well. I was worried with how we would win possession but Brody was on top form and the midfielders did well enough.
Our full backline did reasonably well in one on one battles. Dillon was excellent against Mannion, it was runners from their half back line and midfield which caused us problems.
We created a number of chances but we missed too many. It would be worse if we didn't create any chances. Some of the passing was top class, our inside forwards created space for themselves, it was just our shooting that was off. We only scored 40% of our shots! Kingston kicked 6 and O'Carroll kicked 5 wides. We need to convert them, hopefully shooting has been worked on but as I said, the creating of those chances with the build up play and the movement inside is very positive.

Monaghan are a very good team. Should Timmons or Dillon pick up McManus? Should Walsh start? Any other changes?

on the hop

Quote from: Nameless on July 04, 2018, 11:04:53 AM

Our kickouts went well. I was worried with how we would win possession but Brody was on top form and the midfielders did well enough.
Our full backline did reasonably well in one on one battles. Dillon was excellent against Mannion, it was runners from their half back line and midfield which caused us problems.
We created a number of chances but we missed too many. It would be worse if we didn't create any chances. Some of the passing was top class, our inside forwards created space for themselves, it was just our shooting that was off. We only scored 40% of our shots! Kingston kicked 6 and O'Carroll kicked 5 wides. We need to convert them, hopefully shooting has been worked on but as I said, the creating of those chances with the build up play and the movement inside is very positive.

Monaghan are a very good team. Should Timmons or Dillon pick up McManus? Should Walsh start? Any other changes?

I thought we were rinsed on our kickouts especially when they pressed up and we went long, we lost 11 of these. it wasn't helped that we allowed a free man to sit on their half back line and collect anything that broke. we still need a reliable freetaker on the team, donie and evan are too hit and miss. I wonder is drew wylie back from suspension.

Tony

I just had a shnaakey look at the Monaghan Hogan Stand forum. The consensus over there is that most of them see a victory for them, but they expect a tough challenge from us. A lot of them are pointing towards 2012 when they were clear favourites to beat us, but we beat them well. They believe that they've been inconsistent this year - fine performance to beat Tyrone but woeful against Fermanagh. They respect our style and were impressed with us for spells against the Dubs. Anyway, that all doesn't matter right now. Part of me thinks that we're not ready for Super 8's quite yet, but then another part of me thinks that it's an opportunity we mightn't see again for another 5+ years, so we have to go out 350% for the win and lay it all on the line. Besides, IF we do beat Monaghan (a division 1 side capable of being competitive with the best) then we do deserve our place in the super 8's. Again, IF we do manage to progress, I can see all-star nominees dotted around our panel - Brody, Begley, Dillon, JOL for example. Looks like they're travelling in numbers so I hope a good Laois crowd travel also. There's a high chance it'll be a close game, so the crowd could easily turn into a 16th man come the last 20 mins.

Tony

Quote from: on the hop on July 04, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
we still need a reliable freetaker on the team, donie and evan are too hit and miss.
Agreed - I'd probably start Walsh for that reason.

BallyroanAbu

I know we are an optimistic bunch on here but you would think we had put it up to Dublin the way we are going on, All Star nominees ? They beat us by 18 points almost kicking at will, in the second half.  To be honest I thought the gap was narrower between us and Dublin it was far from that.  We are not a bad little team but I would be surprised if we beat Monaghan.  We may get one All-Star nominee and that is Gareth Dillion, Is Brody in the top 3 keepers in the country ? I would think Beggin & Cluxton are miles clear with a plethora of keepers behind, saying that Brody does offer something very different.  It's his kickout I am not sure of and I think this is by far the most important part of the game.  Saying that this season has been he best thus far and his young so could easily improve further.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 04, 2018, 02:37:50 PM
I know we are an optimistic bunch on here but you would think we had put it up to Dublin the way we are going on, All Star nominees ? They beat us by 18 points almost kicking at will, in the second half.  To be honest I thought the gap was narrower between us and Dublin it was far from that.  We are not a bad little team but I would be surprised if we beat Monaghan.  We may get one All-Star nominee and that is Gareth Dillion, Is Brody in the top 3 keepers in the country ? I would think Beggin & Cluxton are miles clear with a plethora of keepers behind, saying that Brody does offer something very different.  It's his kickout I am not sure of and I think this is by far the most important part of the game.  Saying that this season has been he best thus far and his young so could easily improve further.
You're probably right.

Laois by 3.

Tony

All Star nominees ?
Yes, I said that if we beat Monaghan, we could be looking at a few All-Star nominees, EASILY. We'd be in the last 8, we're league winners, leinster finalists and we would have beaten a Division 1 team along the way to super 8's. Not sure what part of that you don't understand. Some of our lads have had a great season. Now, having said that, I think Monaghan might have too much on the day, but my post was straight forward.

Don Draper

Brody is an All Star Nominee, easily. Begley will most likely get one too. Dillon should, but his name may not be big enough sadly.  Thats about it for now.

SCFC

Beggan was absolutely shite for the Fermanagh goal in the Ulster semi.

Unlaoised

Brody's kickouts were always fairly decent as far as I can remember even when he broke on the scene??

Beggin is having a poor year and Stephen has regressed for sure...Brody is easily up there !

Dublin will score at will against 26 counties out of 34 and we are one of them ..

Sunday is a more level playing field its only 4 years ago they struggled to beat us in Clones(was only a goal in it with five minutes to go) when we went up there in the league to a team who were on a massive high in Division 2 with this victory seeling their place in division 1 which is where they have been since they were also ulster champions a crown they were very unlucky to loose that year.

I know we have regressed badly in 3 years but this year we are on the way back and should be going into the game in a positive frame of mind.

Monaghan 0-19 Laois 0-14
Clones March 2014

The team and scorers that day was
Laois: G Brody, P McMahon, D Booth, P O'Leary, D Strong 0-4, P Begley, C Begley, K Meaney, J O'Loughlin 0-1, R Munnelly 0-3 (2f), C Meredith 0-1, B Sheehan, E O'Carroll, D Kingston 0-1 (f), D Conway 0-1. Subs: G Walsh G Walsh 0-1 (f) for E O'Carroll, J Finn 0-1 for K Meaney, P Kingston for D Conway, D O'Connor 0-1 for B Sheehan, MJ Tierney for R Munnelly.

LAOIS ABÚ

Nameless

Quote from: on the hop on July 04, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
Quote from: Nameless on July 04, 2018, 11:04:53 AM

I thought we were rinsed on our kickouts especially when they pressed up and we went long, we lost 11 of these. it wasn't helped that we allowed a free man to sit on their half back line and collect anything that broke. we still need a reliable freetaker on the team, donie and evan are too hit and miss. I wonder is drew wylie back from suspension.

Yes but I was expecting it to be much worse! When we got tired the second half it went downhill a bit. We knew they'd push up but we coped well with it in the first half. Should Gary Walsh start for the freetaking?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I think I would start Gary Walsh instead of Donie Kingston. Donie has been poor by his standards for the last 3 games and I think a spell on the sideline would make him refocus. You would get a great 40/45 minutes from Gary and then spring Donie when their defenders are getting tired. If he could get back his scoring form he is unstoppable but at the moment he's just not doing it.

We also have to improve on the short kickouts and give our forwards a good supply of ball as we have been wiped out at midfield every time we went long this year.. At the moment our forwards are spending most of the time defending and that drains lads especially in this hot weather. A bit more clever play and tactics and we can win this one..
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

I think there's space for both Donie and Gary. Not starting Donie and bringing him on after 40 mins makes no sense to me. He's our best player and 2/3 men from the opposite team follow him. What we need more of is runners off the shoulder of Donie (think Stephen Attride off the shoulder for that goal vs dublin in 2016). He can win his own ball but it's very hard to beat 2 men and needs more support. I always thought Walsh was very creative, dangerous very accurate at frees too. I'd fit him in, not at the expense of Donie though.