Laois footballers the Championship 2018 What went on and the review!

Started by Unlaoised, April 10, 2018, 10:25:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joeythelips

A double skull fracture. Best wishes to the guy I hope he has a speedy recovery as soon as possible and does not have any long lasting side effects. I would imagine after such a serious injury that doctors would advice him not to play again. Do the GPA have insurance or something for guys with serious injuries such as this or what happens if he misses work for a long period??

High Fielder

What a terrible blow for the lad. He was so brave to go in like he did but to be honest, that's the player he is. I wish him a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.

blueandwhite1

Attride - Talk about giving everything to the team. Unbelievable bravery yesterday from Stephen and all the other lads. We looked fit, hungry and at times quite skillful. Our defensive structure was breached on occasion but the full back line were excellent in limiting major damage. Even our clever use of strategic fouling was good.

I was very impressed by our maturity. We knew exactly what we were facing, had a plan, and executed it well. Carlow are really hard to play against. They have Tyrone next which should be exciting......

Dublin were awesome yesterday against a good Longford side. The thing that is most impressive for me is their ability to run flat out at full pace for 75 minutes. Even if you can compete with them on football terms you can't out run them. They remind me of the aussies in the International Rules - professional athletes. Hard to imagine any of them has a day-job.

Giovanni

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on June 11, 2018, 11:18:10 AM
Attride - Talk about giving everything to the team. Unbelievable bravery yesterday from Stephen and all the other lads. We looked fit, hungry and at times quite skillful. Our defensive structure was breached on occasion but the full back line were excellent in limiting major damage. Even our clever use of strategic fouling was good.

This sums up more or less what I thought of it. I have to be honest - before yesterday, I couldn't really see the evidence of this new dawn in Laois football. We were stumbling over the line against the likes of London and Waterford and I couldn't see this sea change. I finally got it yesterday.

The change is really epitomised in Finbarr Crowley. I thought he did an incredible job on Sean Murphy. To be able to keep the required level of concentration for the full 70 minutes (and pop up for a point as well) is a testament to himself but also to the management team. This, and the Attride commitment, shows what is different now. I still think there are one or two of the big names who need to take a leaf out of the young lads' book in that regard but yesterday we really looked like we knew what we were trying to do and we executed the plan very professionally indeed. A job exceptionally well done.

On a side issue, I think the referee wasn't great yesterday. He really gave a lot of soft frees (in both directions) and, at the same, didn't clamp down on a few nasty incidents. I thought Brody in particular drew two fouls, which were clear red card offences but he let them away with it. It's always tempting for the opposition to show the fancy dan goalkeeper what it's like to play out the field and the goalkeeper needs the same protection as any other player in those circumstances.

Laoiseabu

But sure we stumbled Over the line yesterday too?😂😂 not without Carlow missing some goal chances

Giovanni

I suppose that's true in a certain way but to me we looked in complete control (and it really was controlled). We also had our share of missed opportunities, most notable 3 or 4 dreadful frees (something that we obviously can't afford from now on) and one or two goal opportunities that were missed because we didn't make that final pass.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: SCFC on June 11, 2018, 09:29:03 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 10, 2018, 11:18:48 PM
Let's be realistic here not a hope in hell,  if you want to be delusional work away.  That bull of believing you can beat them "if you really want" is silly talk this Dublin team is possibly one of the all time greats we struggled to get over a limited Carlow.  That's not to say we  can put in a performance that troubles Dublin then I would be euphoric regardless of result.
Thank f**k you're not in charge of the team.

I hate to tell you this but Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are not real 8).  Laois have traveled along way this year and that should be celebrated but this Dublin team is on the verge of legendary status after nearly a decade of building.   It will be nice playing them and somewhere deep down there is the hope we can pull off a victory but we are 100/1 to win this.  But Laois have had a good year and as Napoleon said "give me lucky generals" hopefully the draw in the qualifiers is kind and we can get into the Super 8's and I don't think many on here would have envisaged that at the start of the year.

Jd

I was impressed with the way we held onto the ball yesterday .we have good footballers who will trouble Dublin for periods the next day but the problem is that Dublin are relentless and move the ball so fast so periods of good play just won't be enough. McCarthy was up and down the field and he only looked at half throttle. I still think that while we're a good bit off Dublin's standard we are capable of competing with a lot of the other teams left in the qualifiers and while I hope I'm left eating my words I reckon we would be very happy with a good final performance and a place in super 8s. A few u20s in next year's panel and develop from there and suddenly we could be in a very good place in a couple of years

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Jd on June 11, 2018, 01:50:23 PM
I was impressed with the way we held onto the ball yesterday .we have good footballers who will trouble Dublin for periods the next day but the problem is that Dublin are relentless and move the ball so fast so periods of good play just won't be enough. McCarthy was up and down the field and he only looked at half throttle. I still think that while we're a good bit off Dublin's standard we are capable of competing with a lot of the other teams left in the qualifiers and while I hope I'm left eating my words I reckon we would be very happy with a good final performance and a place in super 8s. A few u20s in next year's panel and develop from there and suddenly we could be in a very good place in a couple of years

The difference between Dublin and Carlow is that Carlow will stand and watch you while you are passing the ball across the width of the 45 while Dublin will harass you in swarms with relentless energy until you cough it up or pass it rashly. We will have very little time on the ball so the ponderous build-up will have to go. When we broke tackles and passed to players off the shoulder yesterday we looked dangerous. We will need 70+ minutes of it to have an impact on the Dubs.

Aidan O'Rourke's article on RTE website today very good.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0611/969689-dublin-and-carlow-counter-attack-to-best-of-ability/

SCFC

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 11, 2018, 12:49:55 PM
Quote from: SCFC on June 11, 2018, 09:29:03 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 10, 2018, 11:18:48 PM
Let's be realistic here not a hope in hell,  if you want to be delusional work away.  That bull of believing you can beat them "if you really want" is silly talk this Dublin team is possibly one of the all time greats we struggled to get over a limited Carlow.  That's not to say we  can put in a performance that troubles Dublin then I would be euphoric regardless of result.
Thank f**k you're not in charge of the team.

I hate to tell you this but Santa Claus, The Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny are not real 8).  Laois have traveled along way this year and that should be celebrated but this Dublin team is on the verge of legendary status after nearly a decade of building.   It will be nice playing them and somewhere deep down there is the hope we can pull off a victory but we are 100/1 to win this.  But Laois have had a good year and as Napoleon said "give me lucky generals" hopefully the draw in the qualifiers is kind and we can get into the Super 8's and I don't think many on here would have envisaged that at the start of the year.
You're contradicting yourself now. You've gone from "not a hope in hell" to "somewhere deep down there is the hope we can pull off a victory".
It's the latter one I'm thinking. Of course, I'm realistic. Of course, it's very unlikely. But you have to dream. You have to believe or there's no point in playing it. 
It was 9 points to 5, 10 minutes into the second half in last year's Dublin Carlow game. I'd take something like that and try to keep 15 on the pitch unlike Carlow did.
And Santa Claus is real.  :)

Tony

Dublin are a good few steps up from what we've been playing but look, 2018 has been a fantastic year for Laois, the players have put pride back in the jersey again and we're certainly looking up. They've given us some great times this year, we're League winners and we've had 3 very good championship performances so far and now a Leinster final!!!

So enjoy it, be proud of the immense achievment this is - Attride going in for that ball where not many people would put a shovel is an illustration of the pride and committment our lads have in this jersey. A joy to watch. Thanks to all the lads and people involved in management for giving Laois people such great times this year, we really do appreciate it. As far as I'm concerned, it's bonus territory from here. The expectations are low from here and we've far exceeded expectation already thus far. So let's go and it give our best and enjoy the moment.

One final point, I'd probably put Damien O' Connor back in place of the injured Attride and start Evan O' Carroll. I'd also start Strong, Walsh or Glynn ahead of Farrell. I think we need our best players on the pitch from the start against Dublin because, it's so easy to go 2-6 to 0-1 behind against them after 15mins. If we want to give ourselves a chance we must get a run on them or at least keep it tight until half time. I'm not saying we're going to win but Sugrue will set us up pretty well. We need a good slice of luck and to convert our chances and for Dublin to have an off day but as I said earlier, it's bonus territory so why not give it a good, intelligently setup lash and try to be clinical with our chances. Hopefully someone will have their mind on scoring goals when opportunities arise, as we'll need them.

Up Laois  ;D

blueandwhite1

I think Farrell's pace and work-rate are under-rated some times. He gets through an amount of work and broke a few tackles yesterday when we needed it. I would keep him on the starting team.

Joeythelips

Quote from: Tony on June 11, 2018, 04:30:41 PM
Dublin are a good few steps up from what we've been playing but look, 2018 has been a fantastic year for Laois, the players have put pride back in the jersey again and we're certainly looking up. They've given us some great times this year, we're League winners and we've had 3 very good championship performances so far and now a Leinster final!!!

So enjoy it, be proud of the immense achievment this is - Attride going in for that ball where not many people would put a shovel is an illustration of the pride and committment our lads have in this jersey. A joy to watch. Thanks to all the lads and people involved in management for giving Laois people such great times this year, we really do appreciate it. As far as I'm concerned, it's bonus territory from here. The expectations are low from here and we've far exceeded expectation already thus far. So let's go and it give our best and enjoy the moment.

One final point, I'd probably put Damien O' Connor back in place of the injured Attride and start Evan O' Carroll. I'd also start Strong, Walsh or Glynn ahead of Farrell. I think we need our best players on the pitch from the start against Dublin because, it's so easy to go 2-6 to 0-1 behind against them after 15mins. If we want to give ourselves a chance we must get a run on them or at least keep it tight until half time. I'm not saying we're going to win but Sugrue will set us up pretty well. We need a good slice of luck and to convert our chances and for Dublin to have an off day but as I said earlier, it's bonus territory so why not give it a good, intelligently setup lash and try to be clinical with our chances. Hopefully someone will have their mind on scoring goals when opportunities arise, as we'll need them.

Up Laois  ;D

Yep, well put Tony. Realistically this years goals have all been met by management and players so well done to them. They are in bonus territory so just go out and give it a right lash. All us supporters want is to see players giving it everything for the cause which is plain to see, and all the players want is a proper set up and management team to help them prepare which after a few shambolic years seems to be the case. Sugrue in fairness has made a big difference and is definitely getting the best out of our players so the county board should make sure he is the manager for a few years to come. We talk about promotion and underage development but the best boost for this is youngsters watching their count win games in Croke Park. They have seem their players win 2 games there already this year so huge thanks to all involved.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I was surprised Donie wasn't replaced by Walsh with around 20 mins to go, Carlow had two men hanging around Donie everywhere he went and he was never going to get an inch of room. They don't really know the way Gary plays and he could have snatched a goal or a few points. Donie and Ross missed a few kickable frees yesterday and we need Gary on for the free taking if Evan is not starting as we are going to need to take every chance that's going next day.
It sickens me the way everyone is still talking about Carlow and how they play and very little being said about Sugrue and the way he set us up to break down a very stubborn defence like that.
Personally I think we have had very few managers over the past few years who could have got us to play that very slow, boring brand of football even though that was exactly what was needed yesterday. I hope he can devise another brilliant way to deal with the Dubs as we are going to have to be able to pull off something very special to keep their score in anyway reasonable.

Longford tried to go man for man on them and failed miserably so I doubt that's the way to go but we will have to take every chance we get as there is no way we are going to stop that scoring machine from racking up another huge score. Stephen will be badly missed but its a chance for someone else to step up and make a name for himself and do it for the captain...
Is Cahillane anywhere near being fit enough for the bench? He would add a bit more to the forwards if only for 20 minutes. Nice to see Dicey Reilly on the sideline with Sugrue yesterday and I saw Brendan Quigley at the game also. What's the position with Brendan at this stage?
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

on the hop

some good points junior, firstly Longford decided not to employ any cover and got roasted, the score could have been massive if Dublin wanted it. the Dublin forwards really hit them hard at times, one of which yielded a goal and along with their sheer pace and fitness had them run ragged. it was very noticeable that a few of their backs had their hands on the hips in the first half. I would hope that we can deal with them better.

on the match itself, while it was great to win, I was very disappointed with how we still allowed Carlow to be so close at the end. realistically they had the better goal chances than us. That is the third game against them and I would wonder as a tactic did we not try employ some sort of runners off the shoulder to commit them. The backs were great and midfield I thought did ok, certainly at times there was space in front of them to draw Carlow out. The forwards didn't go well. I would have taken off donie long before it happened. As talented and important he is to us, near the end between missed frees and turnovers he was liability. it is mentioned that he was double marked, then you would think it would have been easier to instruct him to drag the two of them over towards the corner and make some space for others. He was very static, nearly as bad as paul. Paul could strive the next day but he has never done well with a close marker, possibly the reason why he has done better further out the field than corner forward. ross tried hard and won a few frees, but found it hard at times to get that bit of space to get a shop off. The next day will be different as Dublin let you pay a bit, but we cant be as wasteful and hopefully evan will start.