Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

Hawkeye9212

Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2019, 09:57:33 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on June 30, 2019, 08:16:45 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2019, 03:27:26 PM
The 2 sides promoted from D3 will be considered D2 then and will be Tier 1.

That's not what it says in the rte article

QuoteUnder the new proposals, Division 3 finalists Westmeath and Laois would have played in a Tier 2 championship rather than the All-Ireland qualifiers this summer
When it was 1st before CC it was said that promoted teams from D3 would be classed as D2 /Tiet 1.
Either that's been changed or RTE have got it wrong.
Sure it wont be happening anyway as Hardstation and Bennycake will stop it.

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/gaa-ard-chomhairle-puts-forward-two-separate-tier-2-all-ireland-sfc-proposals/

QuoteA key difference is that in the event that a Division 3 or 4 team do reach a Provincial Final, to make up 16 teams in Tier 2 their place in Tier 2 would be taken by the lowest ranked Division 2 team from that year's Allianz league.

RTÉ are right.

lenny

Quote from: BennyCake on June 30, 2019, 09:06:47 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 30, 2019, 08:47:36 PM
Quote from: Hawkeye9212 on June 30, 2019, 08:42:05 PM

QuoteUnder the new proposals, Division 3 finalists Westmeath and Laois would have played in a Tier 2 championship rather than the All-Ireland qualifiers this summer

Why would any team in Division 3 vote for these proposals?

They will be in a competition they have a chance of winning.
They will avoid the embarrassment of being destroyed by Dublin/Kerry/Mayo/Donegal.
Teams can develop and bring through young players by playing at their own level.
Why would they vote against the proposals?

In recent years in the championship Kerry stuffed Div 1 Kildare, scoring 7 goals. Div 1 Roscommon got tanked by Tyrone.

Dublin have stuffed Div 1 teams Roscommon, Galway, Tyrone, Kildare, Monaghan  and now Meath.

That's all between Div 1 teams. The top 8. How do you stop those tankings?

Those were unexpected tankings. What it would be good to avoid are the totally predictable tankings.

Ringfort

Quote from: hardstation on June 30, 2019, 10:18:16 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 30, 2019, 09:57:33 PM

When it was 1st before CC it was said that promoted teams from D3 would be classed as D2 /Tiet 1.
Either that's been changed or RTE have got it wrong.
Sure it wont be happening anyway as Hardstation and Bennycake will stop it.
It will happen. Amazingly, in such a democratic association, the top brass always seem to get what they want. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
My county and many others can forget about county football when it does happen. There will be zero progression and eventually zero interest. Club football will win though.

I'll content myself with the Tommy Murphy Final DVD from yesteryear.

What 'progression' are you enjoying at the moment? Is just by virtue of theoretically being in the hunt for Sam bringing on loads of young fellas in Antrim? Any weaker county (I include my own as one of these) should target their provincial championship first and foremost. Its attainable.

If not achieved why would players not want to continue to play championship at their own level in a sort of 'intermediate' competition?

BennyCake

Quote from: hardstation on June 30, 2019, 10:24:43 PM
Dublin stuffing Roscommon, Meath & Kildare is unexpected?

Talk balls.

Expected or not, it involved teams in the top 8 or 9. If there's a tier 1 and 2 created, what happens when the top 8 teams trounce each other? Will the GAA reduce tier 1 to 4 teams? Or 3 maybe?

From the Bunker

Quote from: hardstation on June 30, 2019, 10:38:20 PM
It is a joke competition that nobody has any interest in as has been proven.
The gap between tier 1 and tier 2 will widen. The same teams will fluctuate between the 2. Players will opt out.
We've fecking been here!

But ye will have the chance to win a National title, that won't be shown on TV and will get little or no Media coverage. You will be hidden away from headquarters, with no worry of them having to fund you. They can spend their money on the big boys who will bring in the big sponsorship, the big TV Rights fees, the corporate box sales, the season ticket sales and the big attendances.

The Boy Wonder

There is an obvious need for Tiers in the hurling championship – top tier hurling is limited to a geographical area – Munster, South Leinster and outposts in the west (Galway) and in the north (Antrim).  Club and county teams outside the hurling strongholds can never attain the skills to match those of teams within the hurling strongholds. This argument does NOT hold for Gaelic Football.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that current Division 4 teams such as Antrim and Wicklow could compete at the top level of intercounty football. It would obviously take some time and need a lot of things to fall into place – progress at underage, good management structure, player commitment etc. Both counties have produced All-Ireland Club Champions – St Galls and Baltinglass.

In my opinion the plan to introduce a 2nd Tier in the All-Ireland Football Championship is a big mistake and a backward step. Anybody that thinks that it won't mirror the failure of the All-Ireland B Football Championship (1990s) and The Tommy Murphy Cup (2000s) is deluding themselves – try looking up the Roll of Honour for these competitions. With the best will in the world you will never get 100% commitment for a 2nd Tier All-Ireland Football Championship – a significant element of players and supporters simply do not have the appetite for it.

What we have now and what can be improved upon is a National Football League with 4 Divisions/Tiers based on merit. Play the NFL in Spring & early Summer feeding into "Super 8s". Let the All-Ireland Championship revert to straight knockout like before the backdoor was introduced.
It was interesting that on tonight's Sunday Game there was no analysis on one of the qualifier matches – that between Division 3 teams Laois and Offaly. 

Hawkeye9212

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on July 01, 2019, 12:19:47 AM
There is an obvious need for Tiers in the hurling championship – top tier hurling is limited to a geographical area – Munster, South Leinster and outposts in the west (Galway) and in the north (Antrim).  Club and county teams outside the hurling strongholds can never attain the skills to match those of teams within the hurling strongholds. This argument does NOT hold for Gaelic Football.

It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that current Division 4 teams such as Antrim and Wicklow could compete at the top level of intercounty football. It would obviously take some time and need a lot of things to fall into place – progress at underage, good management structure, player commitment etc. Both counties have produced All-Ireland Club Champions – St Galls and Baltinglass.

In my opinion the plan to introduce a 2nd Tier in the All-Ireland Football Championship is a big mistake and a backward step. Anybody that thinks that it won't mirror the failure of the All-Ireland B Football Championship (1990s) and The Tommy Murphy Cup (2000s) is deluding themselves – try looking up the Roll of Honour for these competitions. With the best will in the world you will never get 100% commitment for a 2nd Tier All-Ireland Football Championship – a significant element of players and supporters simply do not have the appetite for it.

What we have now and what can be improved upon is a National Football League with 4 Divisions/Tiers based on merit. Play the NFL in Spring & early Summer feeding into "Super 8s". Let the All-Ireland Championship revert to straight knockout like before the backdoor was introduced.
It was interesting that on tonight's Sunday Game there was no analysis on one of the qualifier matches – that between Division 3 teams Laois and Offaly.

Football does need tiers. The Division 4 teams could compete at the top level of inter county football but it is highly unlikely. Both Sligo and Wicklow are competing at a higher level in hurling. Their hurlers have tasted success. The same cannot be said for their footballers. Baltinglass won the All-Ireland SCFC in 1990. One successful club won't result in Wicklow being able to compete at the top level of inter county football. Slaughtneil have proven that clubs from outside the hurling strongholds can compete at the top level. They just need to be supported. Unfortunately, hurlers the football strongholds are too often disregarded by the county boards. The same thing happens to footballers in the hurling strongholds.

irish345

Just have an open draw 32 teams its the fairest way of course youll get matchcups like dublin v carlow but that would even out with matchups like antrim v limerick

example if there a match up like antrim v limerick and  wicklow v derry  if they get drawing against each other one of those 4 are in a quarter final already what would u rather be in an all ireland quarter final or some b cup

They new proposals are all about elitism and money men

playing for your country should be seen as a privilage and a novelty and they play enough times in the league anyone

a straight knockout all ireland may also make the league more prestigious aswell

I would make the league have one semi final aswell the league winners get bye to final 2nd and 3rd would play a semi final to get into final that makes finishing top of league a priority

irish345

play provincials in january or febuary get rid of mckenna cup etc  provincial boards can make their own format for provincial championships

if it was me i would make ulster 3 groups of 3 group winner and best 2nd place team are in semi finals 

You could play the ulster final under lights on a saturday night in january or febuary i think it would be great

irish345

I also think play the club finals on st stephens day i think it be good in st stepehns day st stephens day has that saturday feel about it anyway

recyclebin

An open draw would not work as the distance could be huge and fans won't go. An open draw based on regions for the first two rounds might work.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: irish345 on July 01, 2019, 07:29:09 AM
You could play the ulster final under lights on a saturday night in january or febuary i think it would be great

Great to watch on the telly. If you're sitting out in the open in the pissing rain/hail on a wooden bench, not so. If you're playing in it, it will be still the McKenna Cup final.

Sportacus

If you took Dublin out of the equation (hypothetically), this years All Ireland would be wide open and there'd be far less talk of tiers.  Ironic that Dublin's dominance will penalise weaker counties who will disappear into a 2nd tier competition which will attract very little interest.  No tiers thank you.

sligoman2

It seems that most of you are forgetting that this proposal does not prevent any county from winning the AI final.  It just means you get one chance instead of two if knocked out before prov final.  It then gives you a chance to win a national title against a comparably ranked opponent.  Only change I would make is an incentive for the winner to rejoin the top tier though that would be tough given the timelines.  As a former county footballer from a "weaker" county I would prefer this option and it seems more people are feeling the same way.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.