County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 03, 2019, 11:52:54 AM
Confirmation that Galway Senior footballers will be looking for a new manager, official statement from Kevin Walsh read out on Galway Bay FM there.
Thanks to Kevin Walsh and all members of the back room team for the last 5 years, for all the criticism you'd have to say he left it in a better spot than when he took it over IMO.

I think it's the right time for him to go but it would be churlish not to admit that he did a very solid job for the most part. Granted he was helped with a noticeable increase in young talented players coming on stream but credit must be given all the same. He got Galway promoted to division 1 where they have looked comfortable, got them to a league final, won Connacht titles and got them to an All Ireland semi-final. Galway were a long way from that in the years previous to him.

He had a few horrendous defeats which followed him around like a bad smell during his tenure and the style of football was never going to win many admirers locally but he did the county some service.

GalwayBayBoy

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on September 03, 2019, 12:30:02 PM
I feel a bit sad for Kevin Walsh today to be honest.
Criticism comes with the territory in county management but I felt there was a huge lack of respect shown to the man this year from a lot of quarters within the county. Whilst I would be in agreement that a change was needed for 2020 - most teams need a fresh voice after a period of time and Kevin did 5 seasons - but still it leaves a bad taste in the mouth imo.
As a supporter I can only thank the man for the huge effort put in over the past 5 years and there is no doubt we are better than we were when he took over.

The amount of abuse from people that don't even bother going to matches was ridiculous and a lot of the voices giving out about the style seem to have long forgotten kicking only 7 scores against Mayo in 2011, Casement Park in 2012, Sligo 2012, Wexford 2010, Mayo 2013 etc. This year wasn't great but we were an absolute f**king mess for years.
Lads thinking that because Corofin have a great team that Galway should as well is more madness, there was (I think) only one player from a very dominant (outside of the club final) Dr Crokes side on the Kerry team Sunday and he was the worst of the lot on the day.

As you say it was plainly time for a change based on how 2019 went and 5 years is a significant time to be in charge these days, but in time I hope some credit for the improvements made to the overall setup and standard at Senior level made under KW will be acknowledged, he was a playing legend in Galway and should be afforded respect at the very least.

Best of luck to whoever comes in for 2020, people should keep an open mind regardless of the appointment.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 30, 2019, 10:37:41 PM
Quote from: Main Street on August 03, 2019, 02:53:29 AM
Quote from: FermGael on July 31, 2019, 08:37:28 AM
Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on July 30, 2019, 11:44:52 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 26, 2019, 03:01:40 PM
Is Monaghan's objective to go backwards in finding a replacement for O'Rourke?

'Banty' return could be on the cards in Monaghan

Seamus McEnaney is one of the frontrunners to replace Malachy O'Rourke as Monaghan senior football manager.

The Corduff clubman – current manager of the Monaghan U20s - previously managed his native county for six years between 2004 and 2010, leading them to two Ulster finals and a Division Two league title. He has managed Meath and Wexford in the meantime.

According to The Irish News, his is one of three names that have gone forward to the Monaghan County Board this week, with interviews expected to be carried out soon.

The other two candidates for the vacant post are reported to be former Crossmaglen manager Tony McEntee and former Scotstown and Cavan boss Mattie McGleenan.

This cannot and won't happen..

Don't worry. According to the Irish News Backpage today it's not Banty on his own. It's Banty and Rory Gallagher.
This cannot and won't happen.

Banty has happened lads.  GrandMasterFlash and Main Street can you describe that reappointment in 3 words?

Backward, regressive, unambitious. There's my 3.

shark

Quote from: oliverkelly on September 03, 2019, 12:12:26 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 03, 2019, 11:39:16 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on September 03, 2019, 10:26:31 AM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 03, 2019, 09:13:23 AM
Quote from: oliverkelly on September 03, 2019, 08:42:14 AM
Quote from: WhoDat on September 02, 2019, 01:56:08 PM
there are rumours that walsh is out and rochford is in. but it's all speculation at the moment. if walsh leaves, he will have been more or less pushed

Would that be seen as a step up? not sure how Rochford has built up such a reputation. Added little to Donegal this year and won nothing with Mayo

All Ireland Club winner and very highly thought of by players.

Big difference between winning the club All Ireland with one of the greatest club sides of all time and county management. Just dont rate him that highly at all. Donegal seemed to have gone back this year with him involved and his time at Mayo was a failure hasnt even a provincial title over his three years. Galway would be much better off going with a local.

That's up to Galway, but if you win an All Ireland Club in a county, your going to have a good reputation in that county to live off for awhile. Lest we forget he suffered some serious bad luck on the biggest one of them all. He arguably was in charge of the best team to lose the AI.

He basically lost Mayo an All Ireland by changing his goal keeper for the final which was one of the stupidiest pieces of management the game has ever seen.  Also his record in connaght to not win one in three attempts is a very poor record and dont give me this shite of they were'nt targetting them. No Mayo team goes out to lose to Galway.
Anyway with Walsh gone i think it would be a step back for Galway to appoint Stephen

It's possible they would have won if they had stuck with Clarke. It's also possible they would have lost by more than the solitary point they did lose by. There is no way of knowing.
The one thing for sure is it was not the Mayo management's fault that the selected goalkeeper dropped a ball under absolutely no pressure. Nobody could have foreseen that.
Rochford made a brave call again the following year with O'Shea at full back. They won (after a replay). They may have won by more had he not done so. We will never know.
What we do know is that many players that have played under Rochford think he is an excellent coach/manager.

rodney trotter

Galway are out of the Championship 2 months. Walsh could have confirmed his exit a bit earlier to give his successor more time to look at the Club championship

Would the Corofin manager be interested, Kevin O Brien?

Blowitupref

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 03, 2019, 12:49:55 PM

A decent record when you match it up with the five years before Walsh arrived. 2018 was his peak leading Galway to the NFL final and AI semi final, if Dublin weren't standing in their way for both games they might have won both? What will next five years bring for Galway is main question now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Seen this pointed out elsewhere and I hadn't noticed the not so subtle edit that the county board made to the actual full statement from Kevin Walsh and the version that was posted on Galwaygaa.ie https://www.galwaygaa.ie/news/124-football/2200-press-release-galway-senior-football-management

Key paragraph that they left out:
QuoteI emphatically believe that there are great things to come for Galway football. Having had the opportunity to work with professionals at the top of their field over the last number of years, I would like to see the recommendations in our reports to the County Board which included facilities and equipment, operations, alignment and development of underage teams through to senior level, finance, competition structures, player development and welfare, medical screening and deep level coaching continue to be implemented in the interests of Galway football going forward.

All the things that are being done to the highest levels now in the likes of Kerry and Dublin. All the things that cost money, require clear vision, good planning and real expertise. Funny that was what they choose to excise from KW's full statement.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 03, 2019, 12:38:03 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 03, 2019, 11:52:54 AM
Confirmation that Galway Senior footballers will be looking for a new manager, official statement from Kevin Walsh read out on Galway Bay FM there.
Thanks to Kevin Walsh and all members of the back room team for the last 5 years, for all the criticism you'd have to say he left it in a better spot than when he took it over IMO.

I think it's the right time for him to go but it would be churlish not to admit that he did a very solid job for the most part. Granted he was helped with a noticeable increase in young talented players coming on stream but credit must be given all the same. He got Galway promoted to division 1 where they have looked comfortable, got them to a league final, won Connacht titles and got them to an All Ireland semi-final. Galway were a long way from that in the years previous to him.

He had a few horrendous defeats which followed him around like a bad smell during his tenure and the style of football was never going to win many admirers locally but he did the county some service.
This year was quite disappointing. The road back to the top is very long.
Galway also got an Allstar last year.  Division 1 was a big improvement. I think people are disappointed that there wasn't further progress.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rodney trotter

Rory Gallagher to be confirmed as Derry Manager tonight. He's going through the Counties, like he did as a player with different clubs and counties.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 03, 2019, 04:46:35 PM
Seen this pointed out elsewhere and I hadn't noticed the not so subtle edit that the county board made to the actual full statement from Kevin Walsh and the version that was posted on Galwaygaa.ie https://www.galwaygaa.ie/news/124-football/2200-press-release-galway-senior-football-management

Key paragraph that they left out:
QuoteI emphatically believe that there are great things to come for Galway football. Having had the opportunity to work with professionals at the top of their field over the last number of years, I would like to see the recommendations in our reports to the County Board which included facilities and equipment, operations, alignment and development of underage teams through to senior level, finance, competition structures, player development and welfare, medical screening and deep level coaching continue to be implemented in the interests of Galway football going forward.

All the things that are being done to the highest levels now in the likes of Kerry and Dublin. All the things that cost money, require clear vision, good planning and real expertise. Funny that was what they choose to excise from KW's full statement.

Going by this and the Donoghue departure it's fairly obvious that they want to do things on the relative cheap for the foreseeable. This is going to be a major sticking point for any candidates for both jobs.

MayoBuck

Danny Cummins is on off the ball at half 7 talking about KW leaving.

screenexile

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 03, 2019, 05:23:03 PM
Rory Gallagher to be confirmed as Derry Manager tonight. He's going through the Counties, like he did as a player with different clubs and counties.

You sure about that???

rodney trotter

He's the only one in the reckoning so who else can they go for, unless the Clubs object? Johnny Mcbride pulled out

Cunny Funt

Would Malachy O'Rourke be an option for Galway? If Rochford is staying on with Donegal i presume the main options will be P Joyce,J Divilly and K O'Brien.