Ryanair set for £8 flights to US

Started by ziggysego, November 02, 2008, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Budget airline Ryanair is to offer flights to the US for eight pounds, by buying planes from struggling rivals.

The plan will be revealed when chief executive Michael O'Leary announces the firm's quarterly results on Monday.

"Economy class will be very cheap, around 10 euros, but our business class will be very expensive," he said in a newspaper interview.

Ryanair's second quarter profits are expected to fall, due to higher fuel prices and its decision to cut fares.

Mr O'Leary is expected to announce plans to buy more than 50 extra aircraft, as part of plans to beat the recession by undercutting more expensive rivals.

"We'll just have to keep flying more aircraft, opening up more routes and offering people more cheap flights," Mr O'Leary said.

Profits down

The flights - which could begin by the end of next year - would be available for those booking early. Passengers would pay airport taxes on top of the fares.

The transatlantic flights are likely to go from Stansted and Dublin airports to New York, Florida, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston.

Meanwhile, it is expected that Ryanair's quarterly profits will drop significantly.

Royal Bank of Scotland is forecasting net earnings of 145m euros (£115m; $184m) for Ryanair for the second quarter, down from 260m euros last year.

While the oil price has come down lately, analysts say Ryanair is still suffering because it insured against changing fuel costs at too high a price.

Mr O'Leary has said he expected the airline to make a profit for the full year as long as oil stays below $70 a barrel.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7705169.stm

Testing Accessibility

mannix

I would prefer to swim if its alright with you. Back and over to france is far enough on the schoolbus with wings thank you.

magpie seanie

I can't understand the amount of negativity towards Ryanair. Only for them we would still be getting ripped off by Aer Lingus and the like. Getting from A to B for the cheapest price works for me.

carribbear

I agree....too many companies were charging way too much to flight short haul routes. Going to Scotland was a couple of hundred...hell, it cost nearly 300 punts to go to belgium back in the mid nineties....not exactly Hawaii for that price.

If ryanair go to the usa i'd go with them as long as the routes were convenient and times okay. Its not as if you get much extra with any other airline.

Gnevin

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

downgirl

Ok £8 for thr flight but it will be £20 per case, £5 for checking in at the check in desk etc etc etc.  Don't get me wrong I love Ryanair....for flying from Cork to Dublin...wouldn't know about being treated like cattle for an 8 hour flight though!

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: downgirl on November 03, 2008, 08:56:15 AM
Ok £8 for thr flight but it will be £20 per case, £5 for checking in at the check in desk etc etc etc.  Don't get me wrong I love Ryanair....for flying from Cork to Dublin...wouldn't know about being treated like cattle for an 8 hour flight though!
And £5 per flight for paying by Credit or Debit Card, the biggest scam of all

Uladh

2/3 of the price into an ulster club game

Rossie11

O'Leary has threatened to slash 75% of flights out of Shannon if govt goes ahead with the 10euro departure tax.
I think this is a huge issue for the midwest and if he is serious then Lenihan will have to make another U-turn.
It would virtually close Shannon airport.
O'Leary has asked for a 10% of cost of flight tax instead which means his passengers get away lightly and the big hitters on 1st class junkets pay full whack.

thejuice

I apprechiate what Ryanair have done and have got me around Europe very cheaply, but £8 to the USA, Scarily cheap. I know it will come to more than that when you include the extras but flying to the USA for less than £100 is unbelievable. How its profitable I dont know but they'll fill those seats easily. Wonder how much the business class costs,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lfdown2

would anyone have any idea of the price of taxes for us airports?

mylestheslasher

We all have a choice. You know what you get with Ryanair. Cheapest price but absolutley no extras. Or you can go with some one else, add a zero onto the cost and get a cup of tea, a biscuit and a cheesy smile. As for the comment on their planes being a "school bus with wings". Ryanair have the newest fleet of planes of any airline in the world so that doesn't really stand up.

orangeman

Quote from: ziggysego on November 02, 2008, 10:54:55 PM
Budget airline Ryanair is to offer flights to the US for eight pounds, by buying planes from struggling rivals.

The plan will be revealed when chief executive Michael O'Leary announces the firm's quarterly results on Monday.

"Economy class will be very cheap, around 10 euros, but our business class will be very expensive," he said in a newspaper interview.

Ryanair's second quarter profits are expected to fall, due to higher fuel prices and its decision to cut fares.

Mr O'Leary is expected to announce plans to buy more than 50 extra aircraft, as part of plans to beat the recession by undercutting more expensive rivals.

"We'll just have to keep flying more aircraft, opening up more routes and offering people more cheap flights," Mr O'Leary said.

Profits down

The flights - which could begin by the end of next year - would be available for those booking early. Passengers would pay airport taxes on top of the fares.

The transatlantic flights are likely to go from Stansted and Dublin airports to New York, Florida, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Boston.

Meanwhile, it is expected that Ryanair's quarterly profits will drop significantly.

Royal Bank of Scotland is forecasting net earnings of 145m euros (£115m; $184m) for Ryanair for the second quarter, down from 260m euros last year.

While the oil price has come down lately, analysts say Ryanair is still suffering because it insured against changing fuel costs at too high a price.

Mr O'Leary has said he expected the airline to make a profit for the full year as long as oil stays below $70 a barrel.

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7705169.stm

The cartoon is pure class !  :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

muppet

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 03, 2008, 01:32:19 PM
We all have a choice. You know what you get with Ryanair. Cheapest price but absolutley no extras. Or you can go with some one else, add a zero onto the cost and get a cup of tea, a biscuit and a cheesy smile. As for the comment on their planes being a "school bus with wings". Ryanair have the newest fleet of planes of any airline in the world so that doesn't really stand up.

This sort of O'Learyspeak nonsense becomes accepted by the masses as fact, without anyone ever checking the facts. He frequenty states Ryan is always the cheapest when they aren't and he stated that they were the greenest which was proven to be nonsense.

The fact is he has some brand new aircraft and some up to 5 years old. The average would be around 3 years old. That average probably wouldn't even be the lowest for these islands let alone the world.  

The above story should read: Ryanair in new stunt to hide bad results. It should go in to mention that his short haul business is in trouble and that some observers think this is another 'shit or bust' gamble with his company, just as he did after 911 when he ordered hundreds of aircraft. That one came in for him for the last 7 years but is dragging him down now as his aircraft trading business collapsed this year. He is stuck with all those aircraft and can't sell them.

QuoteI can't understand the amount of negativity towards Ryanair.

Seanie I suggest you talk to some of his ex-employees, preferably in the strictest confidence so they won't be sued.
MWWSI 2017

lynchbhoy

have heard that the employees are not treated fantastically, but like a sizable proportion of private sector /maufacturing type/construction type workers out there - this is more normal than you obv think.

imo and from exp of flying a fair few times, ryanair are on a par with most of them. OK the inflight food isnt great and has to be bought, but its the same as aer lingus and imo they charge way more for flights usually.

only the top notch carriers that provide great entertainment and food etc are notable - BA, virgin, emirates etc...
the rest are less so.

Air france, iberia and esp klm are nothing great.
in fact I'd rate klm below aerlingus and ryanair !