Rugby League World Cup

Started by Aerlik, October 25, 2008, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: turk on November 05, 2008, 04:23:39 PM
These guys are heroes. Brian Carney must be sorry he didn't stick with it.

Hopefully we will get the result against Fiji next

I'd sure he's happy enough with his H-Cup medal and playing with actual  Irish players in Munster and Ireland
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Taken from Wiki

The national team
Main article: Ireland national rugby league team
There are in fact two Ireland teams: the full Ireland side is dominated by players of Irish ancestry from Super League and the NRL, whilst the Irish Wolfhounds side is made up of players from the domestic Irish competition.

Until recently the Great Britain team were known as 'Great Britain and Ireland' and Irish players were able to play for them. Brian Carney (rugby footballer) is a rare example of a player who played in the Irish league and then gained a professional contract with Super League club Wigan Warriors, he went on to play for Great Britain and Ireland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_in_Ireland

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2008, 04:27:59 PM
Fair play to them,Hope they can go even further

sure you love your British teams  ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2008, 04:42:19 PM

There are in fact two Ireland teams: the full Ireland side is dominated by players of Irish ancestry from Super League and the NRL, whilst the Irish Wolfhounds side is made up of players from the domestic Irish competition.

I wonder if Obama wants to play for Ireland ?  ;)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 05, 2008, 04:45:00 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2008, 04:42:19 PM

I wonder if Obama want to play for Ireland ? : ;)

;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gabriel_Hurl

I couldn't give a flying fcuk where the lads come from. If they are representing Ireland - I'll back them

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 05, 2008, 04:51:27 PM
I couldn't give a flying fcuk where the lads come from. If they are representing Ireland - I'll back them
So go support club rugby. As someone said the point of a national team is to have people from that country or with very close ties to that country playing . Not every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Hardy

What does "dominated" by players of Irish ancestry mean? Does it mean that the players of Irish ancestry bully the others? And who ARE the others?

Seriously, though, I can only interpret it as meaning (1) that the majority of the players have Irish ancestry, not necessarily citizenship - i.e. they might be as Irish as Barack Obama and (2) that there are players on the team who don't even have Irish ANCESTRY, never mind citizenship. How does that work? Sounds like a bit of a joke to me.

Let them fire away, but I don't think I'll be getting up in the middle of the night to go mad about a team "dominated by players of Irish ancestry".

If I got together a few Irish people of French ancestry, added a few Poles, Nigerians and other Irishmen, called the team "France" and entered it in the World Tip-In-The-Hat Championships, could I expect the Legion d'Honneur if we won the thing?

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Gnevin on November 05, 2008, 04:53:32 PM
So go support club rugby. As someone said the point of a national team is to have people from that country or with very close ties to that country playing . Not every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Don't tell me what to support or who to support

Tankie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 05, 2008, 04:59:57 PM

ohhh somebody is a bit sesitive today  :D
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 05, 2008, 04:59:57 PM

Don't tell me not to tell you  what to support or who to support  ;D ;D

Hardy

Don't tell me people are telling people what to support or who to support and people are telling them back not to tell them what to support or who to support.

Gabriel_Hurl

Hilarious lads - you should be up on a stage together

Hardy

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.