Rugby League World Cup

Started by Aerlik, October 25, 2008, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Gnevin on November 10, 2008, 12:27:14 PM
What ever happened to league in France?  they came 9th in this world cup .Weren't they decent at some stage?

not sure if they were ever decent but the Catalan Dragons being established in the super league is likely to improve the sport in France. (I'm guessing the Dragons are based in the "French" part of Catalonia, rather than the Spanish?)
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Rav67

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2008, 06:31:41 PM
What ever happened to league in France?  they came 9th in this world cup .Weren't they decent at some stage?

not sure if they were ever decent but the Catalan Dragons being established in the super league is likely to improve the sport in France. (I'm guessing the Dragons are based in the "French" part of Catalonia, rather than the Spanish?)

They were quite good this season, made the playoffs anyway and were attracting big crowds.  They're based quite close to Perpignan so there's a good deal of competition with the union code for support.

Gnevin

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 10, 2008, 06:31:41 PM

They got to a few world cup finals .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Aerlik

Hard luck lads.  Beaten by a better team all round, simple as that.

Re. shite sport, well that's a moot point.

Over and out.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Jim_Murphy_74

Does seem odd to have an Irish team when the sport isn't played at that great a level in Ireland.   Although the soccer guys have set a precedent there.

Also a number (Well...2) of the players I saw interviewed share the trait of some of our soccer players as referring to Ireland as "Over there".

No doubt as a team these guys establish a good spirit and bond but I wonder was that one of the "underdogs" rather than one of Irishness, their tattoos notwithstanding.

All a bit mercenary maybe?

/Jim.

Gnevin

Quote from: Aerlik on November 10, 2008, 11:35:28 PM

Over and out.
Why is it a moot point?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 11, 2008, 10:39:07 AM

Over and out.
Why is it a moot point?

open for debate
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Tankie on November 11, 2008, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 11, 2008, 10:39:07 AM

Over and out.
Why is it a moot point?

open for debate
What is their to debate its just running with tackling   ::)

Hardy

There's a lot of bandaging as well. Reminded me of 1996.

Old Bill

oz v NZ final then? Think oz will take it but it will be tighter than people think.

Aerlik

Well, the Kiwis defied the odds and gave the Aussies a fair auld walloping.  This was one of the best RL games I have ever seen.  Great hits, great tackles and some great scores too.  Well worth the watch if you can.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!