Rugby League World Cup

Started by Aerlik, October 25, 2008, 08:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bod Mor

There'll be bonfires in Bondi tonight if Ireland win. I propose if we do win, every Irish man, woman and child in the southern hemisphere to converge on the SFS on Sunday to outroar, outplay, outscore and outdrink the Aussies!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

I'll be there if we get through - off the drink at the moment though :-\

Aerlik

Bod Mor, I would if I could, but I can't so I won't.  :(
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Bod Mor on November 10, 2008, 03:44:54 AM
There'll be bonfires in Bondi tonight if Ireland win. I propose if we do win, every Irish man, woman and child in the southern hemisphere to converge on the SFS on Sunday to outroar, outplay, outscore and outdrink the Aussies!

Bonfires in Bondi, lol! Doesn't quite have the same ring as Bonfires in Bohola to it but a close second!

I'm leaving Sydney next week so that game against the Aussies could tie in for a great super cider Sunday! Come on Ireland!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

IF we get to play the Aussies NSW and Queensland at their national sport it'll be a massacre of immense of proportions.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: stephenite on November 10, 2008, 05:02:42 AM
IF we get to play the Aussies NSW and Queensland at their national sport it'll be a massacre of immense of proportions.

Sure didn't we beat them at their national sport a couple of weeks ago ;)
Ur rite tho, twil be a wipeout if it comes to pass
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

stephenite

That's Victoria's national sport ;)

rory

Might not have to worry about getting tanked by the Aussies.... 6 - 0 Fiji after 2 minutes.......

full back

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

ONeill

Fiji 12-10 coming up to half time. Simon Finnegan with the latest try.

ONeill

The BBC highlights of the first half:

2 mins: IRELAND 0-6 FIJI
Simon Finnegan chase down Aaron Groom's kick, but the ball lands back into Groom's hand and the hooker sends through Wes Naiqama, who glides through a paper-thin challenge of Michael Platt before accelerating past various defenders before just about grounding the ball over the tryline. And the Fiji skipper adds the extra two points with the kick. Poor start from Ireland.

7 mins: IRELAND 6-6 FIJI
Damien Blanch - how hot is the Wakefield flyer right now? The winger beats two men on the outside with a 30m run after smart passing from Bob Beswick, Lee Doran and Sean Gleeson to ground his seventh try for Ireland in just six appearances. Referee Ashley Klein goes to the video ref, who sees no reason not to award the score. Top fightback from the Wolfhounds as Pat Richards levels matters with two points with the conversion.

25 mins:
Fiji are penalised yet again, this time for holding down in the tackle about 45m out. But Pat Richards' attempt for an extra two points goes just wide of the posts. Wonder if that could be a costly miss...

30 mins: TRY IRELAND 6-12 FIJI
Lovely toes from Akuila Uate, who picks up the ball from dummy-half on the 10m line, skips and jiggles past a gap between prop Ryan Tandy and Lee Doran to power past the right post, giving Wes Naiqama the simplest of conversion kickS. Imagine a dash of Martin Offiah crossed with a sprinkle of Jason Robinson. Akuila Uate would be the result of that experiment.

36 mins: TRY IRELAND 10-12 FIJI
Simon Finnegan floats through a pass for Simon Grix, who skips past two defenders to bring Ireland within two points of Fiji. Nice run from the Wakefield man, who used the angle to his advantage to bundle over, but Pat Richards' conversion kick from the right thumps the uprights, so Ireland still trail by two points.

40 mins:
A real flurry on the final few seconds as Jarryd Haynes makes a break before flinging his ball back dangerously into Irish hands, who do exactly the same before Ryan Tandy secures possession right as referee Ashley Klein blows for half-time. Blimey, good game this.

stephenite

Certainly staying competitive - couple of breaks from the Fijians should've resulted in tries but some heroic defending by Ireland. Can't believe that Jared Hayne is playing for Fiji, one of the best full backs in the NRL.

stephenite