Irish mercenaries, unionist coat trailers and the Bard of Dunclug

Started by Donagh, October 08, 2008, 11:58:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doohicky

Quote from: Donagh on October 08, 2008, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 08, 2008, 01:18:42 PM

Eh? Lanyon place is outside the Waterfront, city centre and 'public/shared' space - Short Strand is close to a mile away! And the only 2 Nationalist areas in the city? Sure there's only a few thousand living in both!
Also, where's the 'lockdown' coming from? Most of the people who live in these Nationalist areas don't enter or exit them anywhere near Lanyon Place.

Just ignore the parade if you're not interested in it. Let anyone who wants join in and everyone else just ignore it. Peacefully portest if you must.

Lanyon Place borders the only exit from the Short Strand (which is not into a loyalist no-go area) and opposite the Markets. You can be damn sure the RUC will have both of these areas surrounded well in advance to accommodate this obscenity. If they wanted a parade it could have been held in many much less contentious areas of the city or up in the cathedral where they wouldn't be annoying anyone.

Balls! The exit of the short strand is coming over the Albert Bridge beside Central Station. I know as I walk it every bloody day. I also work beside Lanyon place and you don't need to go anywhere near it to get to town from the short strand. Yes, it is slightly shorter to take a shortcut through there and then through the courthouses, but it's not a neccessity.

Add to that the fact it is on a Sunday and the town doesn't even open until 1 anyway and you can see it's nowhere near the disturbance you are making out.

Edit: I forgot about using Queens bridge. That's a shorter route again...

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on October 08, 2008, 01:45:37 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 08, 2008, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 08, 2008, 01:04:24 PM
Do they even have these parades in England?

They do indeed - that was what kick-started this idea.

They why have it here? The RIR are based in England. Let them parade away til their hearts content instead of shipping them in here for a days trouble. Took us 30 years to get rid of the cnuts and have a bit of normality, now the unionists want to behave like Belfast is as British as Finchley again. Look where that got us last time...

I think the point is that the soldiers are from here. It's a Newsletter thing. I think it's a pointless exercise anywhere, but if no one was to protest, it would come and go and no one would even notice.

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 08, 2008, 01:49:24 PM
No one has reason to be 'locked down'.

You tell that to the RUC on the morning of the parade.

Donagh

Quote from: Doohicky on October 08, 2008, 01:51:50 PM

Balls! The exit of the short strand is coming over the Albert Bridge beside Central Station. I know as I walk it every bloody day. I also work beside Lanyon place and you don't need to go anywhere near it to get to town from the short strand. Yes, it is slightly shorter to take a shortcut through there and then through the courthouses, but it's not a neccessity.

Add to that the fact it is on a Sunday and the town doesn't even open until 1 anyway and you can see it's nowhere near the disturbance you are making out.

1. The parade route is beside two nationalist areas
2. Due to 1 (above) the RUC will have all access to the parade route blocked from these areas
3. In order to enforce 2 (above) this will necessitate a security force operation probably starting the day before and ending after the reception has finished (approx 24 hours)
4. A weekends peace and quite (or as much as you can get in those areas) ruined due to a needless parade.

mylestheslasher

There should be a parade alright that we can go  to and throw old fruit at these idiots. At best they are fools who were sold a lie and who actually thought they went to Iraq to liberate people. At worst they are blood thirsty scum who enjoy shooting and bombing people. Either way there is nothing here to celebrate. It makes me sad to see our rich 1st world country celebrate people who went to a 2nd world country, turned it into a 3rd world country and made it a worse place than it ever was under the leadership of a brutal murdering dictator.

The Iceman

Quote from: Orior on October 08, 2008, 01:21:59 PM
Did anyone here ever consider joining the army?

I've often wondered what it would be like to kill people and get away with it. (Eeek, men in white coats have just appeared at my desk). But imagine being faced with an Arfghan 15 yr old and seeing the white of his eyes and the fear in his face and saying to yourself its the end of the line you you boyo and pull the trigger. You can just switch off the fact that this boy has a father and a mother and brothers and sisters and they'll never see him again. You can revel in the fact that unionists will applaud you and pin medals on your lapel.

But at the end of the day, you've killed another human being. How can you live with yourself?

I always wanted to join the army or wondered what it would have been like.  Something about being tested, putting your life on the line for your country and a real transition to manhood is very appealing.
Part of it is wondering what affect killing someone would have on me.  I am not talking dropping a bomb on a building where you don't see the faces but up close and personal hand to hand combat kill or be killed.  I doubt I am the only poster to wonder this. (White coats on the way). Some people never get over it.  I have read a lot of books about various wars and the general consensus is that only 5% of soldiers get over killing someone.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

pintsofguinness

QuoteI've often wondered what it would be like to kill people and get away with it.
For as long as I can remember I often wonder if I committed murder would I get away with it or what could I do to ensure I get away with it - almost plan it. 
I probably need the men in white coats too. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

lfdown2

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 08, 2008, 03:00:58 PM
QuoteI've often wondered what it would be like to kill people and get away with it.
For as long as I can remember I often wonder if I committed murder would I get away with it or what could I do to ensure I get away with it - almost plan it. 

That's hardly surprising you hate everybody and everything!! ;D

his holiness nb

Quote from: mylestheslasher on October 08, 2008, 02:49:49 PM
There should be a parade alright that we can go  to and throw old fruit at these idiots. At best they are fools who were sold a lie and who actually thought they went to Iraq to liberate people. At worst they are blood thirsty scum who enjoy shooting and bombing people. Either way there is nothing here to celebrate. It makes me sad to see our rich 1st world country celebrate people who went to a 2nd world country, turned it into a 3rd world country and made it a worse place than it ever was under the leadership of a brutal murdering dictator.

Well said.
Ask me holy bollix

pintsofguinness

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 08, 2008, 03:04:30 PM

The only person in this world I hate is the sister's boyfriend, and I've never planned his murder, just fantasise about thumping the head of him.

fred the red

why dont they parade down the shankill??

they can wave their flags in peace there...oh wait, theres no fun in that

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on October 08, 2008, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on October 08, 2008, 03:04:30 PM

The only person in this world I hate is the sister's boyfriend, and I've never planned his murder, just fantasise about thumping the head of him.

Is he from Cullyhanna by any chance :D

pintsofguinness

No I wouldn't let anyone from Cullyhanna in to my family!

stew

Quote from: Leo on October 08, 2008, 01:47:14 PM
There are I believe 4 separate Easter Parades along the main streets of Newry every Easter, attended by a handful in each instance, disrupting the entire town for half the day. Not all the town, or the people who live on the route and nationalist - and anyway plenty of nationalists are fed up with these parades.

Republicians marching on Easter Sunday to me is, was, and always will be a disgrace. I never went to an Easter parade and never would.

I never went to a republician march either for that matter and I never would.

I have attended the funerals of some republicians that I have known and that is the extent of my interest and support for Republicianism.

As for the loyal Irish soldiers having a parade in Belfast, that is disgusting and unacceptable, the parades commission is toothless for the most part.

The RIR are scum, they always were and to their dying day they always will be.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

BallyhaiseMan

not a nice thing to say to your fellow GAA members Dunclug  ;)