Huns in trouble after song mocking the famine

Started by T Fearon, September 16, 2008, 10:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Scotland's shame yet again (no I'm not talking about the second best club there being knocked out the Champions League by non entities from Lithuania). Apparently acting on a complaint from a Celtic fan, Irish Diplomats have raised their concern  with the Scottish Assembly,about the singing of this song at Parkhead a couple of weeks ago by Huns ( I believe it goes something like "The Famine's over, why don't you go home" accompanied by throwing potatoes onto the pitch.

I will wait with keen anticipation for action from the Scottish Assembly, meanwhile I am totally not reassured by the fact that Rangers FC have asked their fans not to sing this song >:(

Denn Forever

What can Rangers the club do to stop their fans singing songs?  They were talking with the police to arrest persons who were singing such song but for some reason this was not possible.  I suppose that was a rather pie in the sky response but again how would Rangers the club prevent the fans of their team singing?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Main Street

Sure the last verse is just a bit of light hearted banter  ::)

'Now they raped and fondled their kids
That's what those perverts from the darkside did
And they swept it under the carpet
and Large John he hid
Their evils seeds have been sown
Cause they're not of our own
Well the famine is over
Why don't you go home?'

I predict that there will be a News item about an UEFA investigation into allegations made against Celtic.
The News item will not state that the investigation amounted to opening a letter from a Rangers fan then 5 seconds later chucking it into the bin.

saffron sam2

Pretty tasteless indeed. A bit like the humble potato.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2008, 10:40:37 AM
Scotland's shame yet again (no I'm not talking about the second best club there being knocked out the Champions League by non entities from Lithuania). Apparently acting on a complaint from a Celtic fan, Irish Diplomats have raised their concern  with the Scottish Assembly,about the singing of this song at Parkhead a couple of weeks ago by Huns ( I believe it goes something like "The Famine's over, why don't you go home" accompanied by throwing potatoes onto the pitch.

I will wait with keen anticipation for action from the Scottish Assembly, meanwhile I am totally not reassured by the fact that Rangers FC have asked their fans not to sing this song >:(

Typical T Fearon , posts this sort of bull from his high horse while using a abusive sectarian term. 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

Quote from: Gnevin on September 16, 2008, 02:33:03 PM
Typical T Fearon , posts this sort of bull from his high horse while using a abusive sectarian term. 
What exactly is bull about a report that the abusive "Famine Song" is subject to a high level compaint by the Irish Embassy.

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on September 16, 2008, 03:05:42 PM
What exactly is bull about a report that the abusive "Famine Song" is subject to a high level compaint by the Irish Embassy.

its British soccer scumbags, the embassy was worse to act on the complaint from the other british soccer fan!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

Quote from: Main Street on September 16, 2008, 03:05:42 PM

The use of sectarian term to post it makes his opening ''out rage'' farcical 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: T Fearon on September 16, 2008, 10:40:37 AM

I imagine where the bould Tony is coming from is...

Hun = Rangers fan or Rangers player.

Ergo Nacho Novo a Spanish Catholic is a hun.

And Jock Stein a Scottish Protestant was not a hun.

Rangers fans get called huns by everyone in Scotland. Not just by Celtic fans.

Main Street

Quote from: Tankie on September 16, 2008, 03:09:30 PM
its British soccer scumbags, the embassy was worse to act on the complaint from the other british soccer fan!
What utter nonsense.
The Irish Embassy is well within it's juristiction to act on any complaint on perceived racial bigotry against the Irish.
It does not matter if its a dual national or a British national who highlights the incident to the Embassy.
The Embassy has a duty towards Irish Nationals/Irish community in Britain.

You really haven't got a clue

nifan

Tony may be doing his faux outrage, but the song is unacceptable.

Many Irish people follow celtic, and I think they have every right to complain about this.

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on September 16, 2008, 03:33:16 PM
What utter nonsense.
The Irish Embassy is well within it's juristiction to act on any complaint on perceived racial bigotry against the Irish.
It does not matter if its a dual national or a British national who highlights the incident to the Embassy.

sure if thats the case we would be lodging complaints every day of the week about northern prods (which alot of these could eb compaired too)
Grand Slam Saturday!

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: nifan on September 16, 2008, 03:58:42 PM
Tony may be doing his faux outrage, but the song is unacceptable.

Many Irish people follow celtic, and I think they have every right to complain about this.

The song is pretty bad alright. I think a certain amount of footballing banter is allowed between sets of rival fans but things like child abuse and famine is overstepping the mark by a long way.

donalmac99

disgusting song, just as bad as when some celtic fans sang at them '6 million jews and it should've been protestants' a few years back. i cringed for us then...i cringe for them now

i also cringe when i hear fellow celts disgrace the name of our club by singing pro ira songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOwqWQS8oRY&feature=related

the bigotted scum on both sides deserve each other

Gnevin

Quote from: Main Street on September 16, 2008, 03:33:16 PM
What utter nonsense.

So you'd support the British embassy complaining about Irish soccer supporters singing stand up if you hate the Queen?