Ronaldo £135 million ???

Started by 45GoneShort, September 02, 2008, 07:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof91and94

I would say this could be the death knell for Liverpool - In debt, no stadium built as planned and constant in house arguments - although investors will always want to be part of their great tradition - as for Tottingham?? ;D

ludermor

Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 11:29:15 AM

Is there any sanity left - how anyone can be paid £100,000 a week for kicking a ball is beyond me - the emperor's clothes of sport, and everyone has bought into it, Sky, Setanta and all the clubs must be credited with the greatest marketing ploy off all time.  Pay a fortune to watch English Clubs full of foreign players play out 0-0 and 1-0 matches over 90 minutes, magic stuff altogether!!!!

How do the wages compare with American Football Baseball,Basketball & Ice Hockey in the states?

Arthur

Quote from: ludermor on September 03, 2008, 01:01:37 PM

Is there any sanity left - how anyone can be paid £100,000 a week for kicking a ball is beyond me - the emperor's clothes of sport, and everyone has bought into it, Sky, Setanta and all the clubs must be credited with the greatest marketing ploy off all time.  Pay a fortune to watch English Clubs full of foreign players play out 0-0 and 1-0 matches over 90 minutes, magic stuff altogether!!!!

How do the wages compare with American Football Baseball,Basketball & Ice Hockey in the states?

I wouldn't know or care - but if they are on a par it's equally ridiculous.  Then again when the masses think they have to be part of this social experience they will continue to part with their hard earned cash; and who could blame the players for laughing at them all the way to the bank.

J70

Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 01:13:56 PM

I wouldn't know or care - but if they are on a par it's equally ridiculous.  Then again when the masses think they have to be part of this social experience they will continue to part with their hard earned cash; and who could blame the players for laughing at them all the way to the bank.

Maybe the masses just find the sport entertaining.

Arthur

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2008, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 01:13:56 PM

Maybe the masses just find the sport entertaining.

Soccer?  :D :D :D

his holiness nb

Gaelic football is my first love, sportswise, but theres no denying the global popularity of soccer. It can be very entertaining at times, and very dull at times.
Ask me holy bollix

the Deel Rover

Quote from: his holiness nb on September 03, 2008, 01:51:39 PM
Gaelic football is my first love, sportswise, but theres no denying the global popularity of soccer. It can be very entertaining at times, and very dull at times.

I think soccer is totally over rated at the moment don't know when was the last time i sat down and watched a complete match as hh says its just so  dull . Like here you have lads that are getting paid an obscene amount of money getting a round of applause for hitting the ball 20 yards wide yet our own gaelic players would get a bollocking for missing a chance and might have it cast back to them for the rest of their lives. At this stage it wouldn't bother me if i ever saw another soccer match and i used to be a good fan give me American football any day of the week, its the only reason i keep the sky sports. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

his holiness nb

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 03, 2008, 02:01:38 PM
as hh says its just so  dull 

In fairness I did say it can be very entertaining also.
Ask me holy bollix

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

nrico2006

The difference between watching a Gaelic match and soccer match is unbelievable at times.  An example was a few weeks back in the club at home watching Tyrone V Dublin.  Once the game was over the Liverpool and Sunderland game was put on.  The transition was painful and within 10 minutes it was turned off - like watching paint dry. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Arthur

I honestly don't see the attraction of soccer, 90 minutes of back passes, diving (grown men rolling about the floor as if they were shot, it's embarrassing stuff), poor passes - poor shooting (how can anyone being paid 100k a week to play football miss a penalty and in a lot of cases miss the target completely) and inevitably it will end 0-0 or 1-0.  You have to hand it to the marketing guys though to make the mass male population think they have to care about it and be part of it (i.e. part with their hard earned cash for Sky Sports, the ever changing jerseys etc), and especially here in Ireland where it astonishes me why anyone would care about Man U or Liverpool, without doubt the worse sport on the planet.

Minder

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 03, 2008, 02:16:07 PM
The difference between watching a Gaelic match and soccer match is unbelievable at times.  An example was a few weeks back in the club at home watching Tyrone V Dublin.  Once the game was over the Liverpool and Sunderland game was put on.  The transition was painful and within 10 minutes it was turned off - like watching paint dry. 

I would rather watch paint dry than watch Tyrone NRico........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

J70

Quote from: Arthur on September 03, 2008, 02:30:15 PM
I honestly don't see the attraction of soccer, 90 minutes of back passes, diving (grown men rolling about the floor as if they were shot, it's embarrassing stuff), poor passes - poor shooting (how can anyone being paid 100k a week to play football miss a penalty and in a lot of cases miss the target completely) and inevitably it will end 0-0 or 1-0.  You have to hand it to the marketing guys though to make the mass male population think they have to care about it and be part of it (i.e. part with their hard earned cash for Sky Sports, the ever changing jerseys etc), and especially here in Ireland where it astonishes me why anyone would care about Man U or Liverpool, without doubt the worse sport on the planet.

You must have missed the senior intercounty championship over the past month.

Arthur

Quote from: J70 on September 03, 2008, 02:41:46 PM

You must have missed the senior intercounty championship over the past month.

Sorry didn't know those guys were getting paid 100k a week to play football.  ::)

corn02

For all your arguments - labelling it the worst sport on the planet is a bit stupid.