The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Didn't think the field looked particularly strong at the Irish Open
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

you wouldn't get too many of the big names at it based on it's placement in the schedule.

Lots of the US players will head over for the Scottish and British Opens - wouldn't want to be away for 3 week. 

trailer

Quote from: thewobbler on July 09, 2018, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2018, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2018, 03:09:14 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 09, 2018, 10:07:53 AM
Tickets released this morning for next year's Open in Portrush, if anyone's interested.

Sorted thanks for reminding me Rois the email would have sat in my promotions inbox without being looked at for days had I not been on here.

It's a bit steeper than the Irish Open but then it was always going to be I guess. Really looking forward to it now.

Does anyone else think that the Irish Open in Lahinch will start to struggle now without Rory's name being attached to it?

No, not when he calls Derry by the L word.

The Irish Open has enough momentum and critical mass to survive without him, thank you very much.

It was a dwindling mess despite the successes of Harrington, Clarke and McDowell.  Rory is box office, whether you want to admit it or not.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Will be interesting to see if it can stand on it's own two feet. I hope it can. There are some of the best courses in the world in Ireland but scheduling etc makes it difficult to attract the real star players on the PGA tour. Perhaps if the two tours did merge, as has been mooted, it might become a key fixture. I'm sure that's just wishful thinking and any potential merger is years away in any case.
McGinley taking over next year but how many favours does he have to call in?

LooseCannon

Quote from: trailer on July 09, 2018, 05:34:55 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 09, 2018, 04:55:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2018, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2018, 03:09:14 PM
Quote from: Rois on July 09, 2018, 10:07:53 AM
Tickets released this morning for next year's Open in Portrush, if anyone's interested.

Sorted thanks for reminding me Rois the email would have sat in my promotions inbox without being looked at for days had I not been on here.

It's a bit steeper than the Irish Open but then it was always going to be I guess. Really looking forward to it now.

Does anyone else think that the Irish Open in Lahinch will start to struggle now without Rory's name being attached to it?

No, not when he calls Derry by the L word.

The Irish Open has enough momentum and critical mass to survive without him, thank you very much.

It was a dwindling mess despite the successes of Harrington, Clarke and McDowell.  Rory is box office, whether you want to admit it or not.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Will be interesting to see if it can stand on it's own two feet. I hope it can. There are some of the best courses in the world in Ireland but scheduling etc makes it difficult to attract the real star players on the PGA tour. Perhaps if the two tours did merge, as has been mooted, it might become a key fixture. I'm sure that's just wishful thinking and any potential merger is years away in any case.
McGinley taking over next year but how many favours does he have to call in?

Ah shur, with the people of Ireland behind him, he knows he'll be ok.😉

Milltown Row2

I'm sure whatever Irish legend takes it on next year will continue to grow the competition and attract the big names
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 09, 2018, 06:51:40 PM
I'm sure whatever Irish legend takes it on next year will continue to grow the competition and attract the big names
That'll be Paul McGinley. 

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 09, 2018, 05:27:59 PM
you wouldn't get too many of the big names at it based on it's placement in the schedule.

Lots of the US players will head over for the Scottish and British Opens - wouldn't want to be away for 3 week. 
We were at the Scottish Open two years ago - it didn't have too many big names.  It was horribly attended when you compare it to the Irish Open's recent attendances.  It was up in Aberdeen though, and it was cold and wet. 

Gabriel_Hurl

May well have better attendance but the Scottish Open has a stronger field.

7 of the world's top 50 teed it up at Ballyliffin. There will be 17 at Gullane this week.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on July 09, 2018, 08:14:44 PM
May well have better attendance but the Scottish Open has a stronger field.

7 of the world's top 50 teed it up at Ballyliffin. There will be 17 at Gullane this week.

Good few major winners at Ballyliffin
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gabriel_Hurl

and there'll be a good few in Scotland as well

Applesisapples

A lot of these so called great courses are out of reach to ordinary golfers at €120 plus and more for RCD to play.

ONeill

Was in Portrush on Sunday. Surely they are going to give the place a lick of paint over the next 12 months. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

trailer

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 10, 2018, 08:40:02 AM
A lot of these so called great courses are out of reach to ordinary golfers at €120 plus and more for RCD to play.

Usually if you are a GUI member they are cheaper. I think a lot of them (not all) bump the prices as tourist golfers (mainly American) associate high prices with quality and if the course was €50 to play they simply wouldn't play it. However they then have a different price for GUI members.

Rois

Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2018, 09:21:48 AM

Usually if you are a GUI member they are cheaper. I think a lot of them (not all) bump the prices as tourist golfers (mainly American) associate high prices with quality and if the course was €50 to play they simply wouldn't play it. However they then have a different price for GUI members.
I heard a story that Ardglass was pitching itself too low and not getting any overspill from the Americans at Slieve Donard, and when they hiked the price up, they came!

We're off to Druid's Glen on Thurs for a couple of nights but it looks to cost a fortune to play and I'm only a beginner.  Is it worth rocking up and asking for a last minute rate?  Do golf courses do that kind of thing?  I know there are quite a few tee times available while we're there. 

trailer

Quote from: Rois on July 10, 2018, 09:29:33 AM
Quote from: trailer on July 10, 2018, 09:21:48 AM

I heard a story that Ardglass was pitching itself too low and not getting any overspill from the Americans at Slieve Donard, and when they hiked the price up, they came!

We're off to Druid's Glen on Thurs for a couple of nights but it looks to cost a fortune to play and I'm only a beginner.  Is it worth rocking up and asking for a last minute rate?  Do golf courses do that kind of thing?  I know there are quite a few tee times available while we're there.

Try Teetimes.ie or golfnow. Ring them as well. I've managed to do that a few times but I would play very early and some pros let you out for a discounted rate, others don't, just depends. Make sure you play the Druids Glen course and not Druids Heath. It's one of the best courses around and would be a shame to be down there and not play it.

Rois

TBH I could be playing Greenacres in Ballyclare and think it was good - but the OH wants to play it. Tried golfnow but we'd have to play with 2 unknowns. Might send him out on his own.