The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trailer

Picked Noren, Henrik, Fowler and Tommy Fleetwood. 3 of the 4 going nicely.
The course is good but some holes are a little bit meh. The 8th for example is a 230yrd par 3. That's just stupid. Sometimes shorter, clever holes are more fun than watching pro's hit 2 irons or 5 woods at a par 3.

Boycey

There is also a 137yd Par3 that is a pitching wedge for most which is one of the most famous yet terrifying holes in golf, variety is the spice of life..

This afternoons tv groups are Day, Stenson and Sergio followed by Tiger, Phil and Fowler  8)

trailer

Quote from: Boycey on May 11, 2018, 11:02:24 AM
There is also a 137yd Par3 that is a pitching wedge for most which is one of the most famous yet terrifying holes in golf, variety is the spice of life..

This afternoons tv groups are Day, Stenson and Sergio followed by Tiger, Phil and Fowler  8)

Exactly. This fascination with length is stupid. Clever holes well thought out are infinitely more enjoyable than just pushing the tee box back 50 yards.

Boycey

Quote from: trailer on May 11, 2018, 11:07:22 AM
Quote from: Boycey on May 11, 2018, 11:02:24 AM

Exactly. This fascination with length is stupid. Clever holes well thought out are infinitely more enjoyable than just pushing the tee box back 50 yards.

There's 4 par3's on most courses room for both types I'd say.

Gabriel_Hurl

Exactly - 4 of those most famous par 3's in the world are all shorter than 150yards

TPC Sawgrass 17 - 137 yards
Augusta 12 - 150 yards
Pebble Beach 7 - 106 yards
Troon 8 - 123 yards

We have a course here that has a replica of TPC - and yes - it puts the fear of god into you

gerrykeegan

Webb Simpson on fire today -11 on the day. Just coming to 17 now

Knocked it in the wster
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Minder

McIlroy just put it in the water @ 17 to probably miss the cut
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orior

Quote from: Minder on May 11, 2018, 11:23:07 PM

As the commentator said, unless it is a long course with soft greens, then McIlroy might as well not bother.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

screenexile

Quote from: Orior on May 11, 2018, 11:49:53 PM

As the commentator said, unless it is a long course with soft greens, then McIlroy might as well not bother.

Sawgrass just doesn't suit him at all. He's had difficulties there since he started his career so no real surprise.

The surprise for me was the fact he was one of the favourites at the start of the week!!

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2018, 09:41:36 AM
Quote from: Orior on May 11, 2018, 11:49:53 PM

Sawgrass just doesn't suit him at all. He's had difficulties there since he started his career so no real surprise.

The surprise for me was the fact he was one of the favourites at the start of the week!!

He has had 3 top 10 finishes at it in his last 5 appearances, his game is just way too erratic at the minute
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rois

Orior, is your club off Downview? Playing there tomorrow morn with a LivingSocial voucher.

Boycey

Tiger on fire today, -8 through 12 with another birdie putt coming up..

Puckoon

Rough Rough Rough hungover round at Murvagh today. Beautiful day in Donegal but it was a long hungover trek!!

Couple pints in Pettigoe righted the ship after!

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Puckoon on May 12, 2018, 08:29:26 PM
Rough Rough Rough hungover round at Murvagh today. Beautiful day in Donegal but it was a long hungover trek!!

Couple pints in Pettigoe righted the ship after!

Fantastic course, always enjoyed playing it.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on May 12, 2018, 03:54:04 PM
Orior, is your club off Downview? Playing there tomorrow morn with a LivingSocial voucher.

No, I'm a member of the other one - Cliftonville. Fortwilliam is known as the crossword course. Six up, six down, six across. Good luck!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians